BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/24/2017 10:11:56 PM EDT
Hi. This is my first post. I really screwed this one up. I ended up attaching a muzzle break to my barrel and used red Loctite. Well I realized a bit too late that my timing was off, so I tried to take the break off and it seized half way. Long story short. I ended up using a heat gun, lots of elbow grease, and eventually a MAPP gas torch to get the break off. Of course as you can see below. Half my threads are gone.

So my question is this: Can this be salvaged or is it beyond hope? Ballistic Advantage basically told me that they couldn't do anything for me, but I have heard of shortening the barrel and having it re-threaded. This is a 8.3" 300 BLK Hanson series barrel.

Thanks for your advice.

Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:15:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I vote chop and rethread. But perhaps others have more experience and thus and more valuable opinion than me.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:21:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Chop and rethread is going to run you around  $75-85.  With that barrel profile you would probably be better off just buying a new barrel.

http://grabagun.com/ba-babl300002f-300bo-brl-cmv-8-3-hansn.html
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:24:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd just clean it up and pit a new FH on it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:24:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Chop and rethread is going to run you around  $75-85.  With that barrel profile you would probably be better off just buying a new barrel.
View Quote
Yep, mount it above your work bench as a trophy/reminder
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:52:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Mother of all Bubba's. You ever learn to put down the breaker bar when things aren't unscrewing correctly?

Why would you ever use red locktite to install a flash hider?

I would just get a new barrel and never use red locktite to install anything on a firearm.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 6:22:37 AM EDT
[#6]
First step is to throw red Loctite in the trash can.  The next step is not really as important as the first step.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:18:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd try cleaning it up and seeing if another flash hider would thread on there... with maybe some BLUE loctite.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:24:48 AM EDT
[#8]
  1. Cut off the threads.
  2. Crown it.
  3. Shoot it.
  4. Decide  whether you need the flash hider or not.
  5. Replace the barrel.
  6. Keep that one as a reminder of a funny story you posted on ARF, once.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:50:31 AM EDT
[#9]
If it we're mine (and you're not running a suppressor) I would just clean it up a little in front of the good threads and stick a flash hider on it that doesn't need timed, something like an A1 or YHM Phantom. Leave the crush washer out if the remaining threads are too short
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:08:59 AM EDT
[#10]
That's an easy 10 min job on my lathe. However, like others have said, cut the bad part off, re crown as best as you are able, and there is plenty of thread there for a FH or another brake. You will need to use peel washers to time, don't use crush washers in any event.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:32:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:42:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That was caused by something other than red loktite and heat.

The fixes have already been given.
View Quote
+1.

Methinks that there is a little more to the story.
Something like a screwed up pin job comes to mind.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:52:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Wow, thanks for all the great advice guys! I originally wanted to use this barrel suppressed, but it seems like chopping and rethreading will make a short barrel a bit too short.

I'll probably just put a flash hider on it and call it a day. Maybe a cheap J-Comp v2? I realize that has to be timed, but I imagine I could use peel washers to effectively utilize what's left of the threads. Any thoughts on that?
Also I'm 95% sure that the bore wasn't deformed at the end of the barrel, but let's say that it's ever so slightly deformed. Is this thing going to blow up when I shoot it?

There were no barrel pins involved of any kind I just ignorantly thought brute force would overcome the locktite. And yes... I'm throwing that satanic tube of crap in the trash. I'll just live with simple torque thank you very much.

Order of events:
1. Unknowingly timed muzzle break slightly improperly with peel washers and took the break off.
2. Put red locktite on the barrel.
3. Put the break on and realized that I screwed up and needed to use a different combination of peel washers.
4. Tried to unsuccessfully take the muzzle break off before the locktite set. It unscrewed about half way and then seized.
5. Unsuccessfully used a heat gun and a breaker bar to try and force the muzzle break off.
6. Successfully used MAPP gass and a pipe wrench to take off the muzzle break while fucking up the barrel.

Somewhere between 4 and 6 I believe I ended up using too much force and started to crush the threads.
And let's not forget... the final step

7. Publicly (and deservedly) get shamed online for my sins against the AR gods.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:05:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:20:45 AM EDT
[#15]

There is no way that was caused by red loctite, but I digress: as others have said, either cut off the ruined end and recrown, or just clean up the threads and put on another flash hider.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 12:15:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Did I miss how long the barrel is now??  you may not be able to cut anything off of it without pinning your flash hider on after re-threading..

ETA, nevermind, I guess this is a pistol or SBR already...

in that last picture, your barrel looks fine, what is all that crap on it??  are you sure that isn't just part of the brake that separated?
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 12:19:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Contact Thomas at Paladin Machine Shop Service at tp555(at)windstream.net.  Send him pictures and see what he can do, and it won't cost you anywhere near as much as a new barrel will.  No web site since he gets all the work he can handle via word of mouth.  His skill with a lathe is second to none and his turn around time and prices are super fast and inexpensive.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
+1.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1.

+2
I use red loc-tite, when I need to remove something the first tool I grab is the prapane torch, it doesn't take much heat.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 12:58:01 PM EDT
[#19]
yea that was pinned.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 6:49:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Send it to Steve Thompson @ ADCO Firearms. He'll have it cut, rethreaded and returned to you inside 2 weeks. Probably closer to one week.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:50:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
yea that was pinned.
View Quote
possibly silver soldered?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:27:26 PM EDT
[#23]
GOOD GOD FUBAR!

LOOKS LIKE A PIN IN FIRST PIC.  Before supertool manhandled it. Center of threads, front to back @ 90
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:33:31 PM EDT
[#24]
no way that was loctite.  It appears to have been pinned, I see what looks like a sheared pin on it.  Red loctite is tough but it is not tougher than barrel steel and a fucking torch.  It also looks like fibers in what is left, not stripped threads.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:48:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
GOOD GOD FUBAR!

LOOKS LIKE A PIN IN FIRST PIC.  Before supertool manhandled it. Center of threads, front to back @ 90
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416992/Screenshot-2017-04-26-19-28-18-196041.JPG
View Quote
Good eye.

No question that was pinned
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Pinned and silver soldered,  gold tint and fine silvery debris. Looks like an unsweatted solder joint. No Loctite residue. 

Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Jesus Christ dude....

Looks like you fucked up your barrel extension too.  Appears to be from a pipe wrench.....

And no fucking way in hell that was only red loctite.  Something was cross threaded, or something was put through that muzzle device and into the threads......

Show us a picture of what is left of the muzzle device.....

Something something..... anvil and a rubber mallet.....
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:49:39 AM EDT
[#28]
I can’t say it could not be salvaged, but I would just replace the barrel.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 12:00:32 PM EDT
[#29]
I have almost 40 years in manufacturing.  I'll guarantee you that unless that barrel was made of butter, red loctite had nothing to do with this.  But, it's your story OP, you can tell it any way you like.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 12:18:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Am I looking at this right?  Where are the lugs in the barrel extension?

Nevermind... that's the muzzle device...

With a pin sticking out of it.....
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 12:26:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Attachment Attached File

Looks like a pin to me....  

Not particularly clear.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 12:33:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Well I realized a bit too late that my timing was off, so I tried to take the break off and it seized half way.
View Quote

I think I am on to something.  You said 'timing' which most of us understood to mean orientation of the muzzle device in relation to the upper.  

I think you mean that you cross threaded the holy fuck out of the thing and torqued the shit out of it before realizing it and taking it back off.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 1:02:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I think I am on to something.  You said 'timing' which most of us understood to mean orientation of the muzzle device in relation to the upper.  

I think you mean that you cross threaded the holy fuck out of the thing and torqued the shit out of it before realizing it and taking it back off.
View Quote
Seems legit ^^^^
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 11:34:33 AM EDT
[#34]
in all seriousness,

I can't understand why people do things like this.. if you heat something up and put a wrench on it and it doesn't budge, it's not supposed to be removed using that method.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 2:17:11 PM EDT
[#35]
WOW... I guess sometimes ya gotta learn the hard way!
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 4:50:50 PM EDT
[#36]
No.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 8:35:47 AM EDT
[#37]
I have a question. I can see what everyone is saying about this being pinned etc...I'm just wondering why the OP would have covered up the fact he was attempting a pin job and come up with the red Loctite story. it doesn't seem to make any sense to me. Or are we suggesting he tried to remove a muzzle device that was already pinned and even in that last case...why lie?
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 9:29:30 AM EDT
[#38]
I was under the impression that he just THOUGHT it had loctite (or someone told him it did) and he proceeded to muscle it because it never occurred to him that it was pinned.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 9:38:37 AM EDT
[#39]
OP claims he used red loctite on an install, didn't like the timing, tried to remove using heat and pipe wrench.

Fubared it, claims that's the total facts.

Yeahhhh. Shit happens. I'd have kept that secret.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 9:44:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Wow, thanks for all the great advice guys! I originally wanted to use this barrel suppressed, but it seems like chopping and rethreading will make a short barrel a bit too short.

I'll probably just put a flash hider on it and call it a day. Maybe a cheap J-Comp v2? I realize that has to be timed, but I imagine I could use peel washers to effectively utilize what's left of the threads. Any thoughts on that?
Also I'm 95% sure that the bore wasn't deformed at the end of the barrel, but let's say that it's ever so slightly deformed. Is this thing going to blow up when I shoot it?

There were no barrel pins involved of any kind I just ignorantly thought brute force would overcome the locktite. And yes... I'm throwing that satanic tube of crap in the trash. I'll just live with simple torque thank you very much.

Order of events:
1. Unknowingly timed muzzle break slightly improperly with peel washers and took the break off.
2. Put red locktite on the barrel.
3. Put the break on and realized that I screwed up and needed to use a different combination of peel washers.
4. Tried to unsuccessfully take the muzzle break off before the locktite set. It unscrewed about half way and then seized.
5. Unsuccessfully used a heat gun and a breaker bar to try and force the muzzle break off.
6. Successfully used MAPP gass and a pipe wrench to take off the muzzle break while fucking up the barrel.

Somewhere between 4 and 6 I believe I ended up using too much force and started to crush the threads.
And let's not forget... the final step

7. Publicly (and deservedly) get shamed online for my sins against the AR gods.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 10:55:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 11:04:14 AM EDT
[#42]
wrong thread pitch forced on?
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 12:26:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
wrong thread pitch forced on?
View Quote
Very possible.

Still pretty sure I see the remnants of a pin though.
I have been wrong before.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 6:01:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Doesn't even look like that big a deal to me.

Hacksaw the offending part off and then hand crown it.  If you want a muzzle device, leave the good threads on and use them, if not, chop right behind the good threads.

No need to beat the guy up.  I mean, unless you areike me and have never screwed up anything you have ever worked on.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 6:09:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Doesn't even look like that big a deal to me.

Hacksaw the offending part off and then hand crown it. I think Brownells has the hand crown tools.  I have one and it works great.   If you want a muzzle device, leave the good threads on and use them, if not, chop right behind the good threads.

No need to beat the guy up.  I mean, unless you are like me and have never screwed up anything you have ever worked on.  

ETA:  ??? If that is a SBR, you might have to maintain original OAL in your fix.  Is that right guys?
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 7:21:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'd just clean it up and pit a new FH on it.
View Quote
tis what i would do
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It can be fixed.
View Quote
THIS GUY KNOWS MOST EVERYTHING ABOUT BARRELS..
PM HIM..
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:00:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Either way, it's a mess.

Pinned/not pinned, cross threaded, loctite fubar?

Send it to ADCO  and make another project with it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:30:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Some part of this story is stainless steel and when the heat was applied it galled and locked the two parts in place. The tolerance on the parts of the threads would have to be very tight to start with for this to happen. Galled and seized. When this happens, rarely, I would cut the majority of the fl/comp off on the saw and turn the rest off on the lathe, pick up the threads and re-chase them.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:36:30 PM EDT
[#50]
I don't see that happening with red loctite unless you tried to break it free without using heat/fire.

Usually once you heat it up enough it can turn with ease.

For muzzle devices I hear rock set is good. I've only used red loctite on my gas block set screws. Removing them was never an issue if you hit each screw with a torch for a bit.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top