Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2017 6:37:21 PM EDT
Hi Everyone,

First off, allow me to thank you for the guides, posts, tips, etc. on this forum. With that said, I have a problem for which I'm really at my wits end in trying to solve. I'll keep the part manufactures private as this error would be on me (for being dumb) and not them.The BCG & CH are severely binding in the upper to the point where charging is nearly impossible. (Problem has gotten worse as I've attempted fixes)

Note I have run roughly 30 rounds through and this issue has had no impact to the function once the rifle has been charged.

Solution steps I've taken thus far:

Step 1: I have separated the upper from the lower to make sure this was not the lower or buffer.  Observation: Binding was isolated to the upper Step 2: Separately loaded the BCG & CH into upper with barrel attached and locked in place  Observation: Both move with ease with no binding Step 4: Tried both BCG + CH together in upper with barrel attached and locked in place Observation:  Binding occurred almost immediately upon trying to charge

Repeated steps 1-4 with only the upper as the barrel was detached

Notes:
Tried BCG from problem rifle on another rifle (control rifle) that works and no issues. Tried BCG from control rifle + CH from problem rifle control rifle and some binding occured. During the testing without the barrel attached, found that the binding occurs as the BCG (towards the firing pin) as it moves past the mag well/fire control group opening.

As a precaution, I've ordered a new CH & upper. I did breakdown the bolt from the problem rifle prior to shooting as I was checking headspace, but nothing appears off with outside of struggling to get the ejector back in (I did verify with punch I had proper alignment prior to pin reinstall)

So basically, I seek any other test methods or suggestions as to what could be causing the binding
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:40:32 PM EDT
[#1]
If the front portion of the charging handle is short it can ride over the notch in the top of the carrier it is supposed to catch on to pull the carrier back.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:08:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:07:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you both for the tips. Just as an FYI, I have a barrel quick detach system so no traditional nut. I can freely move the BCG w/bolt and w/o bolt installed within the upper. With the complete BCG, the bolt does engage the barrel lugs and disengages with ease using my finger. After doing some more fittaments and going slow during the process I feel this is more of a bent CH. I further inspected the CH and when I put it on a level plane, it appeared to have a slight bow in the middle downwards. The new CH should arrive today and I'll test using the new CH.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:07:24 PM EDT
[#4]
problem solved. bad charging handle.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top