Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2017 1:13:49 PM EDT
I just finished a build and what I am finding is that when the rifle is cocked and ready to fire I can not move the safety selector to the safe position. I have to remove the magazine, cycle out the round in the chamber, squeeze the trigger to simulate firing a round and then the safety selector works fine. Any ideas of what could be causing this? It is an Anderson lower with all quality parts installed. Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give me.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you putting the selector in the right direction?  The selector it self needs to be put in from the left to the right.  So when holding grip with your right hand you use your thumb to switch the selector.  

You actually cant put the rifle on safe without the hammer being "cocked".
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:14:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I would be checking the length of the pistol grip screw, if it protrudes into the cavity, it will lock up your safety.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:36:22 PM EDT
[#3]
If the hammer is down, the safety should not be able to move.
Sounds like it is in backwards or upside down, or it was manufactured wrong.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:37:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:09:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I put the safety selector in from the correct side so that won't be it. Thanks for the info though! I'll keep looking. Its probably something I did wrong, now just to narrow down the possibilities.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:09:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I will check this tonight. The screw did seem a little long when I put it in.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:13:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I will check this out tonight. I'm pretty sure I assembled it correctly because I referenced a lot of photos to be sure of the position and location of everything but it won't hurt for me to double check it all. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:16:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I will go back into it tonight and see if everything is installed correctly. The small pin under the spring could be the culprit. When I put it in I had a difficult time finding any difference in the two ends of it so thought it was able to be installed in either direction. Thanks for the info! I will update with my findings after I go through it tonight and inspect everything.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:56:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I will go back into it tonight and see if everything is installed correctly. The small pin under the spring could be the culprit. When I put it in I had a difficult time finding any difference in the two ends of it so thought it was able to be installed in either direction. Thanks for the info! I will update with my findings after I go through it tonight and inspect everything.
View Quote
The safety detent has a flat bottom and a pointy upper end that mates with the grooves in the selector lever.

Sounds like you are describing a takedown pin detent.

Many LPKs come with three takedown pin detente because they are easy to lose.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:57:29 PM EDT
[#10]
This is a safety detent.

Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:41:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Might want to check that the safety mechanism isn't interfering with the trigger bar on the sides.  When you look down into the lower, make sure there is clearance on both sides of that trigger bar that runs back under the safety bar.  Interference on the sides there does indeed happen. If so, a dremel will fix it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:17:11 PM EDT
[#12]
All is well now! I actually didn't explain correctly the issue I thought I was having. I checked everything over and all appeared to be correct. I got one of my other AR's out of the gun safe and the safety works the same on it so problem solved! Thanks so much for all the input!
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top