Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2017 5:47:44 AM EDT
Hey all, frog here (yes, some of us own guns ). My question deals with a Troy P.A.R. rather than the usual AR, but I hope I'm posting this in the right place.
Okay so I recently got this rifle, chambered in 222 and seems the first batch to make it over the pond faced a number of issues (feeding/extraction/firing pin. I finally got the time to take mine to the range yesterday and put about 100 rounds or so through it. I used 2 different manufactured ammo and two different magazines (Troy's and a magpul 10 rounds (yup, we have limitations on mag capacity as well) pmag.
And I seem to have a feeding issue with this gun. Same happens with the different ammo I tried so far, and happen with all the mags (seems to happen more often with the pmag than the troy's though). The rounds seem to catch at the top of the feeding ramps and get stuck there:

Which correlated fairly well with the scratches on the bullets for those that chambered ok:

Even had one going back into it's casing (btw, how dangerous is that? I mean if I recycle the gun without noticing, chamber it properly and pull the trigger?)

More specifically, the issue seems to be the area with the red arrows:

What baffles me is that it ran smoothly for 80 rounds or so before I started experiencing this issue on about 4-5 rounds out of 10 and even when actioning the pump with a lot of force.

What are your thoughts on this? Any homemade fixes I could  do myself? Just shoot the crap out of it until it feeds properly? Just send it back? We don't have an habit to tinker as much with our guns than you guys, and don't have any gunsmith around.
Any help/imput would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 6:17:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't answer your questions but I'd like to welcome you aboard. France is a beautiful nation with a great history. I have found that I have more in common and share a sense of kinship with "gun people" (no matter their nationality) than I do with more than 50% of my fellow Americans and we definitely face the same enemies to our shared firearms passion.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 10:32:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 8:53:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow, thanks, that's a lot of info!
Firing pin retaining pin is perfectly fine, so I don't think that's the first issue you described. No gas issue either as it's a pump action, so not gas operated.
It smoothed out a bit by firing it a lot, but still having the issue with most ammo/mags, so I'll probably send it back see what they say.
Thanks for the imput anyway!

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can't answer your questions but I'd like to welcome you aboard. France is a beautiful nation with a great history. I have found that I have more in common and share a sense of kinship with "gun people" (no matter their nationality) than I do with more than 50% of my fellow Americans and we definitely face the same enemies to our shared firearms passion.
View Quote
Thanks for the kind words, and totally agree with you!
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:03:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Dude at my range her in CT was having this same exact issue with his PAR.  Was hard to get the rounds to feed out of the mag and I noticed it was scraping up the bullet.  I ended up having a round file in my tool box in the truck and we rounded out the feed ramp and lips basically taking off the extremely sharp edges that it had.  This solved the issue nearly 100%.  I can show you what I mean if you want some pictures.  He was pretty bummed at the range much like you probably are.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:12:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Some pictures would be really appreciated indeed! That's what I was thinking to do as well, just a bit unsure how to tinker in this area as I was afraid it might mess up the chamber/locking of the bolt if that makes any sense. Great to hear it solved the issue on that  guy's rifle!
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:53:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Some pictures would be really appreciated indeed! That's what I was thinking to do as well, just a bit unsure how to tinker in this area as I was afraid it might mess up the chamber/locking of the bolt if that makes any sense. Great to hear it solved the issue on that  guy's rifle!
View Quote
Kind of hard to show in pictures, and this isnt a PAR, but you basically want to fill down the edges of the square portion of the feed ramps.  I did it solely with a round file at the range, but a triangle file like I pictures might be more precise.  I would say file a bit and then pit it back together and load the mag full and try to get it to feed.  Its the square portion that the bullet is catching on. once you get the sharp edge knocked off you should be good.  I also noticed on the dudes rifle that I helped that at the top of the square portion it did not bevel in like almost every other rifle i've seen, so we knocked that down as well.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:06:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Just an idea but try different pumping speeds.
A slow smooth stroke vs fast and hard.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:30:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Many thanks for the pictures and input guys, that's really appreciated.
Will give it a try next time I have the rifle around then.

Quoted:
Just an idea but try different pumping speeds.
A slow smooth stroke vs fast and hard.
View Quote
Slow stroke is 100% FTF, the issue described in my first post is fast and hard ;)
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top