Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2017 3:11:07 PM EDT
I have recently purchased a Bushmaster CMP National Match Upper and mated it with an Anderson lower. The upper has probably been in storage for at least a decade. I am having issues with failure to eject which has been causing stovepipes and double feeds. When it does eject, its at the 1 o'clock position, suggestion that the gas system is overgassed. Friends who bought same uppers eject at the same position without issue. I have inserted quarters in the buffer tube to try and see if the ejection position would change, but it does nothing. At 4 quarters the bolt want hold back on the last shot.

The issues is that the spent casing stays attached to bolt face. It extracts fine, but since it stays attached to the bolt face, the rifle jams when it strips another round from the magazine. This commonly happens with steel ammo and less with brass, but it does happen with both types of cases. The spent cases have not be marred or mangled by the extractor. I have ordered a Bravo Company Extractor spring set, but I don't think its the extractor. I tired a friend's bolt and bolt group and the rifle operated fine. It seems to have something to do with my bolt. This is my first AR and I'm pretty much a newbie here. Should I also order an new ejector spring and see if that helps or do one of you gurus have another suggestion?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 4:23:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Forgive me for sounding rude and or stupid, but quarters in the buffer tube? Why would you do that? I have been around AR's for a very long time and that's the first time I have ever heard of any one doing this for a malfunction I have heard of people doing it if they were running a rifle receiver extension and using a stack of them to make a spacer in order to use a carbine buffer and spring, but that's not what you described.

Then put some CLP on the bolt face, and let it "seep" in around the ejector and work the ejector back and forth with the tip of a brass punch or something to see if it moves freely. Could just be set up from sitting, be dry, or have a piece of crud behind it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 4:36:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Forgive me for sounding rude and or stupid, but quarters in the buffer tube?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Forgive me for sounding rude and or stupid, but quarters in the buffer tube?
Not rude or stupid... a legit question. All I'll say to is that I'm new to ARs and the internet convinced me that it was a good idea to try. It did nothing. My faith in the internet is shattered. :)

Then put some CLP on the bolt face, and let it "seep" in around the ejector and work the ejector back and forth with the tip of a brass punch or something to see if it moves freely. Could just be set up from sitting, be dry, or have a piece of crud behind it.
I've also done that. The ejector pin moves fine. If you take the bolt out and put a spent case on the bolt face, the ejector forces it out at an angle.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:55:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Forgive me for sounding rude and or stupid, but quarters in the buffer tube? Why would you do that? I have been around AR's for a very long time and that's the first time I have ever heard of any one doing this for a malfunction I have heard of people doing it if they were running a rifle receiver extension and using a stack of them to make a spacer in order to use a carbine buffer and spring, but that's not what you described.
View Quote
I've heard of it being done with dimes in an M60 buffer tube to jack the cyclic rate up, but NEVER to remedy a malfunction. That is an unusual solution, to say the least.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 4:06:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That is an unusual solution, to say the least.
View Quote
I don't know if I would call it a solution... it didn't solve the problem. :)
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:41:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Seeing how the upper has been sitting around for a while I would give it a good cleaning, and try again
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:55:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like you need to pull the bolt apart and clean it.

The ejector may be getting hung up in its tunnel.  Once the case is extracted, the spring loaded ejector starts pushing the empty case away from the bolt face.  If your ejector is hung up, you're not getting this separation and the case stays with the bolt all the way to the rear.

So, take the bolt apart and clean it out/test for ejector function.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 8:55:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I've taken the bolt down and thoroughly cleaned it twice and I still have the issues. I've become an expert at knocking the ejector roll pin out with a cut down case and a vice. :)

Quoted:
Seeing how the upper has been sitting around for a while...
Since I really don't know the upper's prior history, I've also ordered a new ejector kit and a BCM extractor spring upgrade kit. Even though it looks like the rifle has little use, maybe the springs need to be replaced. Who knows? The parts are cheap. Hopefully they'll get here by this weekend so I can install and test them out.

Quoted:
So, take the bolt apart and clean it out/test for ejector function.
I've done this. I also polished the ejector and extractor to make sure there's nothing snagging on the cartridge case. When I test it out with snap caps, they are separating from the bolt when I pull the charging handle back. I'm hopefully optimistic as it wasn't doing this before. The rifle doesn't always eject the snap cap, but that might because my physical strength doesn't compare to the rifle's gas system working the bolt. I'll find out when test it out on Saturday. If I get the parts in time, I will be swapping out some springs before I go. Thanks for bearing with me with this... ARs are still pretty new to me. Its good to have some experienced input when you're in uncharted waters!
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:01:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:04:52 AM EDT
[#9]
What kind of buffer tube, buffer and spring are you using?

Have you function tested this lower with any other uppers?
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:37:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So I would start with pulling the FS and FSB to make sure that the gas tube was installed correctly in the FSB...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
So I would start with pulling the FS and FSB to make sure that the gas tube was installed correctly in the FSB...
oh boy, that's way beyond my comfort zone currently, but if what I've done so far doesn't work, I'll have to consider this seriously.

Quoted:
What kind of buffer tube, buffer and spring are you using?
The one's that came with the parts kit... which would be Bushmaster stock mil-spec parts. I think. I haven't have any reason to think otherwise.

Quoted:
Have you function tested this lower with any other uppers?
I have swapped out the BCG and bolt with a friend who got the same parts kit as I did. Other than ejecting the brass in the 1 o'clock position (overgassed) it functioned fine and fired with no jams.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 11:21:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 3:44:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Last night I did a simple fix and replaced the ejector and extractor springs with extra power springs. Both of the new springs were a touch longer and a lot more difficult to get in. I had to used a vice to get enough pressure on the parts to reinsert the pins to hold the ejector and extractor in. I tested a snap cap to see if it would be ejected and it was... even when I moved the bolt gently back by hand. This was very encouraging for me. Since it was late, I packed everything up and went to bed.

I took it to the range today and fired about 40 rounds of steel cased ammo, the ammo that jammed with every shot when this first started. The bolt cycled fine and the cases were extracted with out issue and ejected four to five feet at the 4 o'clock position with some force.

I'm going to consider the issue solved. Time to get some more ammo and see if the AR platform lives up to all the hype. Thanks!
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top