Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/24/2017 3:39:29 PM EDT
My son built an M-4 clone using a Phase 5 lower and an R-Guns upper.  It shoots brass just fine, but steel case sticks in the chamber and has to be removed with a cleaning rod.  I have a Frankengun with parts from half a dozen vendors, and it eats anything I feed it.  I can even mix LC, PMC, Tula, Wolf, etc. in the same mag and it never misses a beat.  Do you think that his just needs a reamer run through the chamber to open it up a bit?  Or maybe just a brass chamber brush on an electric drill?  Any ideas?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 4:29:06 PM EDT
[#1]
BCM Extractor Upgrade

^^ should solve the problem^^
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 4:47:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Look closely at the chamber. You will see a bunch of crap built up in there.  You will need a fresh chamber brush and probably a drill to spin it enough to remove that crap.  Best bet then is to sell all the steel and just go with brass, or this will happen again.  I had this happen to two well seasoned rifles in one day.  A Bushmaster and a Colt.  Nothing was wrong with the chamber.

When this gets really bad, there is nothing you can do to or with an extractor that will stop it.  

If you want cheap and good quality ammo, start reloading.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:44:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you want cheap and good quality ammo, start reloading.
View Quote
I have over 2000 rounds of cheap ammo through my PSA/CMMG with nary a FTE.  I shoot Tula/Wolf/Brown Bear 10:1 over Federal/Lake City.  In fact, I have all of my brass ammo stashed for SHTF scenarios, and I only shoot steel at the range.

It's not the ammo.  Any gun that can't shoot steel case is broken.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:08:56 AM EDT
[#4]
All my uppers get a good chamber scrubbing with a new or like new chamber brush with solvent before I ever shoot them the first time.

Never *knock on wood* had a steel (or brass for that matter) case stuck in a chamber yet, even after long blasting sessions and switching back and forth from steel and brass which often gives guys a headache.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:44:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#6]
My bottom of the barrel PSA build has had nothing but Wolf/Tula shot through it for pushing 6,000 rounds. Your rifle needs some work. "Just shoot brass case" is a band aid answer.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:15:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My bottom of the barrel PSA build has had nothing but Wolf/Tula shot through it for pushing 6,000 rounds. Your rifle needs some work. "Just shoot brass case" is a band aid answer.
View Quote
I agree 100%.  It is my son's rifle.  My PSA eats anything as well.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top