Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/11/2017 9:15:26 PM EDT
Live round got jammed into the upper above the gas tube. Gas tube is ruined. Thankfully not my AR. I was shooting with a friend yesterday and it happened.

Link Posted: 3/11/2017 9:20:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Double feed?

Type mag & ammo?
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 9:34:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Magpul Gen 2 magazine and Golden Tiger ammunition

I've seen double feeds before. Nothing quite like this, but double feed makes sense.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 9:50:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 9:52:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Stupid question, but where's the charging handle in that second picture? I can't really tell where the bolt is in the picture.

It just kind of looks like the bolt may be locked back, which means the charging handle must also be in the rear position. If that's the case, then there's no limit to how much force could have been applied to the handle which may have caused the damage.

I'm probably missing something though.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 11:02:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stupid question, but where's the charging handle in that second picture? I can't really tell where the bolt is in the picture.

It just kind of looks like the bolt may be locked back, which means the charging handle must also be in the rear position. If that's the case, then there's no limit to how much force could have been applied to the handle which may have caused the damage.

I'm probably missing something though.
View Quote

The bolt closed halfway. When we discovered the stuck round that kept the bolt from closing, the bolt got manually pulled back and locked open. I guess the charging handle didn't get pushed forward afterward. It would have hit the round anyway.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 11:05:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bad feed out of the mag (popped through the feed lips as the round was being pushed forward , instead of being forward through control of the feed lips until the rim clears the lips to guide the round into the chamber) and when you are cleaning the rifle after each event, pull the mags used apart to CLP clean them as well.

If keeping the mags clean does not solve the problem, then suspect either crap mag, spring worn out, or the back U section of the mag has a cracked section that is allowing the feed lips to spread too wide to allow the round to escape.

Really, to check for any of the problems noted above on a mag, load about half of what the mag will hold, the rasp the bottom of the mag off a table.  If the rounds start to fountain out of the mag, the mag has a problem.

Lastly, don't use the mag as a hold point.  This can cause the mag to be well forward upwards during a cycle, and the angle of attack for the round being stripped out and guided by the feed lips can be so high as to miss the chamber completely (end up with the problem at hand).  So if you do need such a hold point, only the front of the mag well, and not any part of the mag in the well isntead.
Note, same can happen when you are trying to use the bottom of the mag off a bench as a tripod point.
View Quote

Great response. Appreciate the information. Just forwarded it to the owner of the rifle.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top