Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2017 11:27:36 AM EDT
I have a problem.
I just received a BCM 14.5" SOCOM profile upper, assembled by BCM.
Believe it, or not, I was able to remove the barrel nut with no problem.
However, the barrel is snugged up in the receiver, and won't budge.
I tried heating it. Placing it in the freezer over night and using penetrating oil.
It won't move.
I have the proper tools, and receiver clamp.
I'm trying to remove it, to place a rail.
Any help will be appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 11:37:19 AM EDT
[#1]
The BCM's uppers fit really tight on the barrel extensions.  I had to use heat and some light tapping with a wood block to get my 11.5" apart, and it was one I assembled and had Aeroshell applied at assembly.  You said you tried the freezer, did you put heat to the upper as soon as you removed it from the cold, as that would be your best bet to get be biggest difference in size between the 2 pieces.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 11:43:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I did.
I'll place it in the freezer over night and try again.
I ran out of propane in my little torch.
I have a heat gun, may just use that.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 8:45:08 PM EDT
[#3]
get a round dowl of wood.
freeze then put upper in vise block then heat the UPPER.
put the dowl in through the back of the receiver, and pound the barrel out.

thats what id do if i were you. hitting the barrel out with a wood dowl wont hurt it.

when i assembled my upper, (bcm stripped upper+bcm ELW BFH barrel) i had to freeze the barrel and heat the upper with my girlfriends hair dryer and had to tap it in from the muzzle with a rubber mallet. thats what i wanted.  i used aeroshell too.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 10:03:11 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have barrel blocks, maybe put the barrel in the blocks and grab the receiver while rotating it side to side and pulling on it.  There should be a tiny bit of play in the barrel pin alignment slot.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:53:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, after repeating the freezing and heating again, I tried the wood rod & hammer technique.
This happened.
Attachment Attached File

So, I decided to just cut off the delta ring and use an old MI rail that clamps onto the existing barrel nut.
I've used a lot of BCM uppers, and all are snug (which is great), but this thing is in there.
No complaining, just confused.

All went together well. I did, however manage to smash my hand, real, Real hard with the ball peen hammer.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 3:59:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:37:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Whoa, whoa, whoa... Isn't this the Gunfighter company? You know, combat effective and all that. The same company whose thrown out the acronym TDP more times than all the beads at Mardi Gras.

What a disaster...

Standing by...
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:42:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Barrel extension may have been loctite in place to the upper receiver barrel socket.

My trick is to heat the   receiver  barrel socket up with a moving flame until  it around 600* and at that point will either smell a sweet smell of the loctite breaking down, or no smell if no loctite was used.

From there as the upper receiver gets a chance to lightly cool back down, one of my aluminum rods the size of the barrel extension down the upper receiver that protrudes about 8" out of the back of the receiver, one hand on the barrel, the other on the upper receiver (what I am going to put all the downward force to) and a single downward blow of the end of the rod of the table is enough to dislodge the barrel from the receiver barrel socket.
View Quote
I really hope you don't mean 600 degrees Fahrenheit. Or any scale, actually.

Loctite breaks down (usually) around 325F. The best bet on getting a barrel out is quickly heating the nose of the receiver with it in a vise, and then tapping the barrel out.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 4:20:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I really hope you don't mean 600 degrees Fahrenheit. Or any scale, actually.

Loctite breaks down (usually) around 325F. The best bet on getting a barrel out is quickly heating the nose of the receiver with it in a vise, and then tapping the barrel out.
View Quote

Trust me, I tried.
I could see some substance bubbling out, but don't know if it was just barrel grease, or loctite.
Either way, it has a handguard in place, just not the M4 RAS I wanted to use.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:15:01 AM EDT
[#10]
On the other hand, you know for sure that the barrel is not gonna get loose even if the barrel nut does. That's crazy snug. Better than the opposite though.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top