Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2017 4:33:12 PM EDT
I'll start by saying I usually like to stick to brass-cased ammo and I've got a pretty good stockpile of it. But a while back  I found a great deal on some Wolf WPA 62g and I snagged a few thousand rounds. I've shot some of it out of my SR-15 but don't like to make a habit of it. I have two other "precision" AR's and I don't put steel cased ammo in those at all.

So recently I had a buddy help build me a "budget" AR pistol....pictured here.

I decided this would be my "steel machine" and that I'd primarily run that Wolf ammo out of it. The first few times shooting I noticed it was routinely having light primer strikes. Well the trigger assembly was completely mil-spec with a slight lower powered spring to enhance pull weight. I swapped for a JMT Saber drop-in and the light strikes have been virtually eliminated.

The last time I was shooting it the extractor broke on me. This is not uncommon for those who run a lot of steel cased ammo but this was only at about 500rds thru the gun!  Turns our the "mil-spec" extractor and spring in the low-dollar BCG was garbage and the metal was brittle enough it snapped in short order. As of now I'm awaiting a BCM SOPMOD bolt upgrade kit. Should make it do what I want!

I am however considering an "enhanced" firing pin now as well. I've seen there are a few listed as being .015 longer than mil-spec and designed to reduce light strikes with steel ammo (without punching through the primer). The trigger replacement pretty much eliminated my light strikes. I did have one (in about 100 rounds) with the new trigger. The enhanced firing pin seems like a good way to further reduce that potential. Anyone have experience with enhanced or extended firing pins and a 5.56/.223 AR?  

Suggestions would be appreciated (other than "you shouldn't shoot Wolf ammo"). Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 4:43:55 PM EDT
[#1]
been shooting wolf exclusively out of my lmt mrp's for almost 10 years now, no failures.

it has an lmt enhaced bcg, a lmt 2 stage trigger, jp silent capture spring. and a gemtech can.

wouldnt own a rifle that cant shoot wolf
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Update:  The BCM SOPMOD bolt rebuild kit has proven to be a worthy investment. After installing it I only experienced one FTF (light hammer strike) in about 120 rounds. Still not good enough for me so I elected to swap the 3.5-4lb JMT drop-in trigger for a "Mil-Spec" SA trigger with a nice heavy spring (about a 5.5lb pull). I also went ahead and threw in a Black Rifle Arms "enhanced" firing pin (this is the 7.62 pin that is .015" longer than a standard 223/556 pin). It drops right in and CAN be used with a standard 223/556 AR bolt, you just have to really watch the depth of the primer strikes. Well...I'm happy to say that these upgrades have transformed this little "budget AR pistol" in to a steel eating maniac!  

So for the record.. My official recommendation for "tuning" an AR pistol for Wolf/Tula/steel case ammo..
1. BCM bolt rebuild kit (extractor spring upgrade at the very least).
2. Mil-Spec trigger with a heavy hammer spring
3. (Optional) "enhanced" .015" longer firing pin
4. Thorough cleaning and generous lubrication after EVERY outing no matter what.

I think if you follow this regimen and keep the rapid fire to a minimum you can expect your AR pistol to have a nice long life on a steady diet of steel-case surplus ammo!  Ymmv of course.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top