Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/7/2017 9:45:31 PM EDT
Hi, all. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. I have two AR15s. One is a 25 (or so) year old Windham Bushmaster that I bought new and have always enjoyed. Recently, I felt the need (which I am now questioning) to buy a Colt. The trigger sucks. While the Bushy is smooth for the entire pull, the Colt is grainy and stiff for the first part of the pull before the point at which the trigger disengages from the sear. I removed the upper and noticed that when I begin to pull the trigger the hammer actually moves slightly rearward. It's during this movement that the pull seems harder and rough. On my Bushy there is no hammer movement until it's released, and it only moves forward. It seems that on my Colt the sear surface and hammer notch are not evenly machined? I have not removed the FCG.

I should mention that I am supporting the hammers of both ARs when pulling the triggers

Thx in advance for any help. Thinking of calling Colt Customer Service and telling them I want satisfaction.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:48:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I have no idea why in two places in my post the word "Colt" changed to a link to a Midway shell plate item. Doh!
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:57:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Just install a new trigger. All Colt triggers suck. Get you a Geiselle SSA and be done with it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:14:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Colt has a tendency to leave behind manufacturing silt in their rifles.  Remove the fire control group, thoroughly clean out the trigger well, along with the fire control parts.  Reassemble and put a drop of oil between the sear and the hammer interface, and dry fire the hell out of it.  I have purchased several new rifles where the trigger felt pretty bad and most have smoothed out after a while.  A lot of people say Colt triggers suck, but if you look at the individual parts, they are stamped the same as the parts used in other brand of rifles.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top