Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2017 12:04:37 PM EDT
I built an LR 308 last fall and it fires great and I actually took three whitetails with it last fall but it fails to properly extract every 3-4 rounds.  I can't seem to find anything obviously wrong.  A local gunsmith and his friend formerly from DPMS looked it over and finally swapped out the BCG with a DPMS one and they were able to fire a 30 round mag with no problems.  The gunsmith then took two other BCG he had and it still had the same problem.  Not sure exactly what to do.  The BCG is Aero Precision and they are sending me a new one and have been great to work with but I'm still a bit confused.  Any suggestions for things to look for?

Here are the specs on the gun I recall off hand.
- Spikes Jack upper lower
- Anderson 18" barrel
- Odin works handguard
- Mid length gas tube
- Aero BCG
- Magpul ACS-L
- DPMS 308 LPK
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 4:26:05 PM EDT
[#1]
How does the chamber on your barrel look?  Any rough places or machining marks?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 5:44:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Not that I noticed.  The gun only has 50 or so rounds through it.  I did reach out to Anderson (barrel) and Aero (BCG).  Anderson said it was the Fusion 308 ammo I was using so I bought a few varieties of 308 and 7.62.  Still had the problem.  Aero said I should remove a black o-ring from the bolt.  At this point I put it away until I could get it to the gunsmith who put the barrel on and checked the head spacing.

For more clarification on the ejecting issue...every 3rd round or so the spent cartridge is not full ejected from the upper.  Most of the time it is extracted completely but one time the ejector rim was actually broken in one small spot.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 5:48:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Also, the Gunsmith still has the gun.  I might be able to pick it up this weekend and take a closer look.  He has a DPMS BCG on order to try.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 3:18:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 3:29:39 PM EDT
[#5]
An 18" middy .308 having extraction issues? Inconceivable!

You need a way to adjust the gas system and the heaviest recoil assembly you can get in it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:57:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I got the gun back from the shop so I can exchange the Aero BCG but I'm not at all sold on that being the issue. The gunsmith said he tried 4 BCG and of the 4 only the DPMS one worked. Hard for me to believe 4 out of 5 wouldn't work (4th being the original) if the BCG were the actual problem.

It's been awhile since I've posted pics in a forum and I couldn't find instructions in here on how to do that. The barrel looks fine, no machining marks I could see. I think the buffer suggestion might be a good place to start. I have marks on my lower where the BCG is slamming into it.

I did remove one of two o-rings from the extractor spring per a recommendation from Aero and still having the problem. The error looks exactly like another recent 308 post where you all talked about types of ammo. I have tried 4-5 different types of factory 7.62 and 308.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 12:26:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 12:59:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Sully
Thanks for the info and pointing out that I said failure to extract...I'm sorry I meant eject. And yes the ejector ring has damage on several rounds and the first ever round did break. When it jams it stove pipes and most of the time actual jams the next round into the feed ramp at the same time.

I also read another post from earlier this month that discussed the BCG damaging the lower around where the buffer tube meets. That would tell me the BCG is traveling too far. I'm assuming a heavier buffer might solve this and if so could that be contributing to my ejection issue?
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:34:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Finally remembered how to post pics.  Here's the failure after I pulled the bolt back and locked it.
Next I'll post some other pics that may be relevant.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:35:24 AM EDT
[#10]
well the preview showed the pic without the link but oh well.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:13:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Image shows impact spot on lower left side of buffer tube.  Marks are on lower receiver and lightly on buffer tube.

I didn't clean this up after shooting a few rounds through it this week.

If there's anything else you want to see let me know.
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 12:37:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 12:44:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:10:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, lower left and right side are almost mirror image of each other. There is no mark on the upper portion.  The buffer itself has a mark in the 11:30-12 area.  I don't want to bad mouth the gunsmith because you probably know him and he has been good to work with so far.  He did attach the barrel and check headspacing for me.  Since it was my first build I was a bit nervous about doing that myself.

I see your in MN as well and from your website I'm guessing your probably pretty close to me.  At this point I have the BCG out because I was supposed to send it back to Aero but I don't believe that's the issue any more.

Next steps from what I'm ready here and from other threads with similar problems would be to thoroughly clean it and lube it up really good.  Shoot a few and if not fixed, get a heavier buffer (and spring?), check the gas block and possibly replace with adjustable.

Is there such a thing as a light weight BCG?  Could that be why the DPMS one that was tried worked where all others failed?

Also, I do have some of the spent casings and one has a broken extractor ring, most others have significant "denting" on the forward side of the ring.  Could also be the barrel is too tight or the casing isn't releasing from the barrel quick enough (I know there's a technical term for that...).

The fun part of all this is that I am being forced to learn a ton.  If the gun just went together and shot perfectly I wouldn't learn anything!  The 223 Wylde I built works great by the way.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:14:12 PM EDT
[#15]
That gun is overcycling. Sometimes the extractor will jump the rim, or outright tear through it, leave the case in the chamber and then the empty slides out when the BCG hits the back of its travel.

It should have had a longer gas system on it, but barring that, it must have an adjustable gas block or key at a minimum, along with the heaviest buffer that can be put in it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:35:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes, lower left and right side are almost mirror image of each other. There is no mark on the upper portion. The buffer itself has a mark in the 11:30-12 area.
View Quote

Just a wild-ass guess but I think your buffer is too short and the carrier is hitting the end of the receiver extension, peening the end of the raised rail sections on the carrier and the end of the receiver extension tube.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:39:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just a wild-ass guess but I think your buffer is too short and the carrier is hitting the end of the receiver extension, peening the end of the raised rail sections on the carrier and the end of the receiver extension tube.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, lower left and right side are almost mirror image of each other. There is no mark on the upper portion. The buffer itself has a mark in the 11:30-12 area.

I was curious if it's compressing the bumper on the back of the buffer to the point that it hits the extension.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:48:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Maybe, or a short tube.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:48:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Could be.  I don't have a picture of that but I don't notice it in the shoulder.

I'll give a heavier buffer a shot.  The one in there is a standard DPMS LR-308 3.84 ounce one and the standard carbine length spring.  If I can find a reasonably priced adjustable block I'll get one of those.

Anyone tried the JP Enterprises Silent Captured Heavy Recoil Buffer Spring Assembly?  Or is that just a gimmick and go with something else.

Sounds like everyone is pretty sure it's not the BCG so I should be able to hang onto the one I have for now.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:52:34 PM EDT
[#20]
You might try taking the spring off the buffer and putting the buffer in the tube with the BCG on top of it, just to see if it is too short.

It shouldn't hit the tube like that, and it would be good to rule that out now.

I recommend either more tungsten in the buffer or a heavy buffer made out of steel from Slash at Heavy Buffers.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:08:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm not sure I understand.  Should the length of the buffer combined with the back end of the BCG be the same length as tube?  How far should the buffer travel in the tube normally?
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:15:59 PM EDT
[#22]
The BCG should not contact the tube with the parts stacked together.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:17:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Oh, you're talking about checking to see if the tube is too short. Got it.
Thanks.  I'll check that tonight.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:58:50 PM EDT
[#24]
It appears that my buffer tube is short and the buffer is bottoming out.

Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:10:19 AM EDT
[#25]
But stacked together with no spring it does not contact but if the buffer is compressed just a bit it will.

Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:29:04 AM EDT
[#26]
I bet it's compressing the nylon pad on the buffer. That indicates it's severely over cycling.

Thanks for the pics.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:36:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for all your help.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 10:00:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Would you guys recommend the 5.5 oz buffer from HeavyBuffers.com or do I need to go all the way to the 6.5?  I will be getting an adjustable gas block as well.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 10:12:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Go as heavy as you can.  With a mid-length gas tube you have high port pressure and a fairly long pressure impulse period pushing the carrier group mass to unlock.

Stay with a standard spring.  A heavy spring will resist unlocking a bit, but it will also slam the carrier group home.  It's only miliseconds but you want the magazine spring to push the follower and the next round up before the bottom face of the bolt passes over the base of the next cartridge to feed and chamber.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:41:17 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm still waiting for my heavy buffer from Clint and my adjustable gas block but just a quick update. I went to settle up with the gunsmith and now he's telling me those probably won't fix it because the head spacing is wrong. I said, you put the barrel on and spaced it.

I'm not sure why he wouldn't have mentioned this before. He also said he noticed the impact marks on the lower but didn't think that was the problem. Again it's an aero precision 308 BCG and an Anderson 18" barrel. Both claim to be DPMS style. I'm still moving forward with the buffer and block.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:09:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:54:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Thanks. Next time I am able to get it out I will let you know. In the meantime I'll make sure it's nice and clean and lubed.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quick update and thanks to everyone here for the help. Got the heavy buffer and the adjustable gas block installed. Took it to the range today and it runs great!!! Tried 4 different types of ammo and it cycled everything.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:39:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Excellent. Glad we could get it sorted out for you.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top