Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2017 9:57:39 AM EDT
Guys,

I'm having a little trouble with a recent build. When I slap the side of the gun to release the bolt, about 50% of the time the bolt doesn't fully chamber the round. Now when I pull the changing handle fully to the rear, to load the gun, it seems to work fine. I'm wondering if either buffer spring is too long or short? My buffer tube could be out of spec or if a different weight of buffer is needed? Or is it something else?

The BCG is from Aim...it's one of the stainless versions

The buffer is a standard weight buffer.

The tube is some Mil Spec diameter 6 position

Thanks for your suggestions and input.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 3:39:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 9:36:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for your efforts/reminders. Turns out I needed a stronger/more enthusiastic buffer spring. I changed that out and then did a few tests at the range where I used a full mag and an empty one. I swapped between the two firing a shot then swapping to the empty so the next shot would lock the bolt to the rear. I went back and forth for a couple of mags, then did a couple mag dumps and partials to make sure all was good. I'm happy now, just pissed it gave me fits at a carbine class and not at the range prior to. Thanks for your help!
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#3]
If the spring was weak then changing it could have solved the problem.  If spring wasin spec then changing to a stronger spring masked the issue that is still present.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 1:48:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I didn't purchase a stronger spring, just took one from the spares bin. The bolt releases with an audible difference in "enthusiasm."
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top