Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/18/2017 1:59:27 PM EDT
Factory built Daniel Defense V11 upper, about 1k rounds through this one. I notice after shooting there is oily build up on the barrel in front of and behind the gas block, and sometimes on the gas block itself. The gas tube also has a light spotted oily look to it with what appears to be fouling or dirt gummed up on it throughout its entire length. Normal or potential issue?  Gun shoots flawlessly with no issues but im just wondering.  The pic of the gas block below is after i already tried to clean off the oily substance so its not shown as wet as it usually is in that area after shooting, usually its got a decent amount in those spots.

Gas tube

Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:11:24 PM EDT
[#1]
its fine.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:57:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:06:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks gents
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 3:28:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't put up with that mess, find the leak and seal it up. I have never had gas deposits all down the the gas tube and in the channel.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 5:27:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't put up with that mess, find the leak and seal it up. I have never had gas deposits all down the the gas tube and in the channel.
View Quote
You don't shoot enough 
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 10:57:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I say shoot it more the carbon will eventually fill the small holes you have.

On the M1 Garand they do not recommend removing the gas block ever to clean for accuracy reasons as the front sight is on the gas block. The carbon will lock up to the block and barrel
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 9:01:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks to me like excess lubricant cooked on the gas tube. The only deposit you're going to get on it normally is soot close to the gas block. This effect here would probably take several mag dumps to get the tube hot enough. Normally any lubricant on the gas tube will smoke off before it gets red hot but maybe it was something different, like Eezox, that dries and becomes a coating.
Whatever, my point is there is no oil in the exhaust gases in the gas block and tube so any cooked oil had to be external.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top