Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/14/2017 8:59:37 AM EDT
I have been having a few FTE issues in my 14.5 BCM middy with an H buffer.  Is it possible that Wolf Gold .223 might be the cause for these FTE's that I have been having ?  I will try the rifle again later this week with different ammo but in the meanwhile I thought I would ask here. From my trials and testing at the range yesterday I think that the ammo is the issue. And no, there is no issue with the BCG. I would swap it into another AR and it would run flawlessly all day.  And these FTE's would be a partial ejection of the spent casing with the new round wedged in underneath.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:03:09 AM EDT
[#1]
for sure try a regular buffer and get some real 5.56 ammo like M193 and try that also.  should do the trick.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:25:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Is this a new gun?

The only way to diagnose short stroking properly is place one round in the mag, fire, and repeat.  Does it lock back every time and eject fully?

Then get back to us.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd be very surprised if it's the ammo.  Wolf Gold is on the high end of .223 pressures, and I've yet to see a single account of a QC issue, and Ron at Battlefield Vegas says it shoots like M193 and they've gone through over 2 million rounds of it with zero defects, unlike anything else they've tried, loves the stuff. 

Also, I had a BCM 14.5 Middy, with BCM buffer spring amd H buffer.  Would run .223 Prvi and Fusion just fine. Didn't seem ammo sensitive --never had a malfunction actually, though I never tried it with Wolf Gold, nor steel case.
My buddy has the same upper with an H2 installed that runs like a top with a couple .223 55gr loads he's been issued as a cop.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Over 1500 thru my 14.5 middy no issue's what so ever running the wolf
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:56:01 AM EDT
[#5]
One of the issues I have is my FTE's are often not frequent enough to help me rule out possible causes. But I did notice, and maybe it's just me, but it seems that most of my FTE's occur when the BCG was not freshly lubricated that day and liberally oiled up ?  I went to the range last week for example, and some of the oil had already dried up on it and cleaning it a few days before. And as I expected I was getting FTE's every other round. Yet when I go with a freshly lubed BCG I usually don't get any FTE's, at least not until I get over 100 plus rounds fired. Does this make any sense ? Maybe the BCG is not getting pushed back with the amount of force it should be ? I got the rifle last year. I originally had numerous issues with FTE's and failure to loads last year and it turned I had a bad extractor that BCM replaced. I discovered the problem when I put the BCG in a different rifle. Now, I can put my new replacement BCG in a different rifle and shoot all day long with out a single issue.

EDIT :

Is it possible I have some mags that could be causing these FTE's , yet are not causing any issues in my other rifles ? I have been shooting a number of new Hex Mags of late. Hmm...
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:29:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I have fixed several new weapons at the range with a bottle of CLP when they started choking after a few mags.
Unless you have a more serious underlying issue it should get better fairly quickly.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 12:12:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have fixed several new weapons at the range with a bottle of CLP when they started choking after a few mags.
Unless you have a more serious underlying issue it should get better fairly quickly.
View Quote

I also did that too. The rifle stated jam up with FTE's and after putting a little more Slip 2000 on a few spots it worked like a charm. But why does this rifle need to be super lubed up right before shooting to ensure it works smoothly? I have a 14.5 carbine and a 20 inch AR that never jam up, even  with poor lubricantion and  being dirty.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:59:47 PM EDT
[#8]
What kind of oil are you using that you can only get 100 rounds fired before it getting dry?   You either need something else or just more of it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 5:02:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I have had mags cause short stroking on one of my rifles - it was Pmags with a bolt carrier that was rubbing ever so slightly.  I swapped bolt carriers and the problem went away.

Using USGI mags, there was never an issue.

Make sure you are using USGI for sure.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:16:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I also did that too. The rifle stated jam up with FTE's and after putting a little more Slip 2000 on a few spots it worked like a charm. But why does this rifle need to be super lubed up right before shooting to ensure it works smoothly? I have a 14.5 carbine and a 20 inch AR that never jam up, even  with poor lubricantion and  being dirty.
View Quote

The amount of resistance and available energy is going to vary between weapons.
There is a lot of friction from various sources; the problem generally goes away as you shoot more.
So basically parts are wearing in and smoothing out.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:46:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Of what vintage is this BCM 14.5 mid?

At one time, they made those intentionally undergassed with the disclaimer that they should only be used with military-pressure 5.56 ammo.

Supposedly later ones they increased the gas port size.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:06:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:19:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I purchased the upper from BCM last year. But maybe it could have been a new old stock upper ? I am going to shoot it again today and just for the hell of it, I am only going to shoot 5.56 rather than Wolf Gold .223 and will see if I get any FTE's...
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:45:03 AM EDT
[#14]
You never mentioned what kind of oil you use.  Be sure to use more of it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:05:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
after putting a little more Slip 2000 on a few spots it worked like a charm.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:19:06 PM EDT
[#16]
For what it's worth, I fired 90 rounds today after cleaning and lubing the rifle. I shot Federal XM193 rather than the Wolf Gold. Not a single FTE. Coincidence or something else ? I'll shoot again next week and I guess time will tell...
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:02:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
For what it's worth, I fired 90 rounds today after cleaning and lubing the rifle. I shot Federal XM193 rather than the Wolf Gold. Not a single FTE. Coincidence or something else ? I'll shoot again next week and I guess time will tell...
View Quote
Hard to say what individual or combination of factors kept it over the threshold of function or if the threshold dropped.  That's the pitfall of changing more than one thing at once, not to mention the variable of wear-in.

For what it's worth, I bought my 14.5 Middy in 2013 and my buddy bought his in 2012 or 2011 and neither have ever had a malfunction with even weaker  .223 than Wolf Gold 55gr, and, again, he runs an H2.  XM193 IS hotter ammo, but that doesn't make it better or more consistent, which history suggests it's not.  Even BCM has the occasional QC failure, so something might be a little out of wack, or at least tight.  My buddy's first barrel wouldn't group for shit.  Turned out they got a bad batch with shit rifling.  They took care of him and claimed they had started scoping every barrel they install from that point forward.  Maybe yours had a rough BCG, (NVM, I see it runs fine in other rifles), or a poorly drilled gas port that had to burn out.  There's no telling without a detailed inspection by someome with the knowledge.

I've run mine wet, but sometimes for a few hundred rounds between lubes at time.  Slip EWL is the shit.  Most consistently praised, least criticized (by far) lube I've seen over the course of several lube discussions here and on M4C.  I'd definitely stick with it.  I suggest going back to the Wolf and seeing if the problem returns.  If it does, email BCM and ask what they think.  

ETA:  Have you inspected the inside of the upper for rough areas?  Does there seem to be any notable grinding or excess friction when you hand cycle the bolt?  Any sticky points?  Have you checked to see if there's any contact between the BCG and the HexMag lips?  I found HexMags were the only mags of several that fit differently and tight as fuck in my Denny's Guns lower, which has a wire EDM magwell if I recall and is a seriously clean piece of machining.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:50:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hard to say what individual or combination of factors kept it over the threshold of function or if the threshold dropped.  That's the pitfall of changing more than one thing at once, not to mention the variable of wear-in.

For what it's worth, I bought my 14.5 Middy in 2013 and my buddy bought his in 2012 or 2011 and neither have ever had a malfunction with even weaker  .223 than Wolf Gold 55gr, and, again, he runs an H2.  XM193 IS hotter ammo, but that doesn't make it better or more consistent, which history suggests it's not.  Even BCM has the occasional QC failure, so something might be a little out of wack, or at least tight.  My buddy's first barrel wouldn't group for shit.  Turned out they got a bad batch with shit rifling.  They took care of him and claimed they had started scoping every barrel they install from that point forward.  Maybe yours had a rough BCG, (NVM, I see it runs fine in other rifles), or a poorly drilled gas port that had to burn out.  There's no telling without a detailed inspection by someome with the knowledge.

I've run mine wet, but sometimes for a few hundred rounds between lubes at time.  Slip EWL is the shit.  Most consistently praised, least criticized (by far) lube I've seen over the course of several lube discussions here and on M4C.  I'd definitely stick with it.  I suggest going back to the Wolf and seeing if the problem returns.  If it does, email BCM and ask what they think.  

ETA:  Have you inspected the inside of the upper for rough areas?  Does there seem to be any notable grinding or excess friction when you hand cycle the bolt?  Any sticky points?  Have you checked to see if there's any contact between the BCG and the HexMag lips?  I found HexMags were the only mags of several that fit differently and tight as fuck in my Denny's Guns lower, which has a wire EDM magwell if I recall and is a seriously clean piece of machining.  
View Quote

I didn't notice any rough spots inside the upper, but then again I really didn't give it a detailed look. I'll check. I used all Hexmags mags yesterday, and being that I shot 90 rounds with 15/30 mags I used a number of mags, all with no issues. I'll take a look and see the BCG was having any contact with the mag lips. And other than that, I think I will just go shoot it again in a few days hopefully and see what happens...
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 7:19:49 AM EDT
[#19]
For what it's worth, I fired 90 rounds out of 6 different mags yesterday with Federal XM193 again with no FTE's. I also did not clean or re lube the BCG on purpose before shooting. I'll try shooting the Wolf Gold again next time and see if my issues come back or not.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top