Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2017 8:48:54 PM EDT
I have tried different ammo and different mags but while shooting the gun will eject the old bullet but will get stuck while loading the new one from the magazine. Also when the magazine runs out of bullets the bolt will not lock to the rear. I have disassembled and reassembled twice but nothing out of the ordinary. Any ideas would be great
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 8:53:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have tried different ammo and different mags but while shooting the gun will eject the old bullet but will get stuck while loading the new one from the magazine. Also when the magazine runs out of bullets the bolt will not lock to the rear. I have disassembled and reassembled twice but nothing out of the ordinary. Any ideas would be great
View Quote

Ammo?

Mag?

Buffer weight?
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:07:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Everything lubed up on the BCG?
Gas issue causing short stroke?
Inspect gas rings, gas key, tube, look good?Gas block isn't loose or has moved ?
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:19:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:14:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
.556. 55 grain. 16" barrel. Not sure if gas length. Had a carbine buffer and tried H buffer today to see if it helped but it didn't. It was ok until the gun got hot

If you can provide more info we can probably quickly diagnose it.  Pretty clear you are short stroking, just need to determine the cause.  

1.  Caliber
2.  Bullet grain
3.  Barrel length
4.  Gas operating system length
5.  Buffer weight
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 11:33:16 AM EDT
[#5]
You need to post a little more info.
Is this a new weapon?
Was it a build or complete weapon?
What action spring and buffer?
Did it previously work then suddenly started this behavior?
Did you thoroughly clean the weapon including the chamber?
I have seen new weapons start doing this after a couple of mags and all they needed was a little lube.
I see a lot of posts about misaligned gas blocks and broken or loose gas key screws.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 11:59:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You need to post a little more info.
Is this a new weapon?
Was it a build or complete weapon?
What action spring and buffer?
Did it previously work then suddenly started this behavior?
Did you thoroughly clean the weapon including the chamber?
I have seen new weapons start doing this after a couple of mags and all they needed was a little lube.
I see a lot of posts about misaligned gas blocks and broken or loose gas key screws.
View Quote

new rifle that I only built the lower on. not sure what spring came with it. it originally had a carbine buffer and tried switching to a H buffer but still had the same result. I put 500 rounds of PMC ammo through it and didn't have a problem. I switched to wolf ammo and the problem started then back to brass ammo with the gun still not cycling right. I went through the gun top to bottom this past time and shot it the next day with the same issue.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:02:24 PM EDT
[#7]
the bolt keep catching on the reload. the bullet seems like it gets caught by the star inside the chamber
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#8]
It is not unusual to hear of problems going to brass from steel cases.
You need to clean the weapon, but do an especially good job of cleaning the chamber with a chamber brush and a good solvent like Sweets.
You should check the gas key for loose or broken screws and check to see that the gas block has not moved.
You would be surprised at how often what you described turns out to be not enough lube.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:24:05 AM EDT
[#9]
ok thanks. I talked to some other people and they said to just sell the steel. it isn't worth the problems in the end. how do i check the gas system to make sure nothing has moved or broken?
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:23:59 AM EDT
[#10]
If the gas block has moved it should be obvious.
Squirt some oil around the key and screws then hit it with 100 PSI or so at the mouth of the key and look for bubbles.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#11]
where the gas tube comes through the upper am I supposed to see the outside of the gun around the tube or is there supposed to be an o ring around the tube
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:14:45 PM EDT
[#12]
No o-ring around the gas tube.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top