Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/3/2017 12:16:25 PM EDT
Firstly, let me mention that I am new to the forum. So excuse me if I do something wrong. I’m  from the Netherlands and my English isn’t very good but hey, try to write Dutch :).

I have a factory ar15 (oberland) in .223,  rifle length.
The weapon shoots and cycles well. When I finish shooting, the bolt locks back after firing the final round. When I load a new loaded mag and slap the bolt catch / release it doesnt chamber a round, the bolt goes above the round, I have to manually pull the charging handle to chamber a round.

Does anyone know why my locking bolt isnt far enough to chamber a round using the bolt release?

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/tseel/IMG_0797_zpspp8qlctp.jpg

I am using a standartd a2 oberland factory Lower, the whole rifle is factory standard.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:33:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Whenever this happens to me I discovered that I did not have the magazine completely latched in the magazine well so the bolt was just sliding over the top round.  Slam the magazine in there harder.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:48:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Whenever this happens to me I discovered that I did not have the magazine completely latched in the magazine well so the bolt was just sliding over the top round.  Slam the magazine in there harder.
View Quote

This slap rack and squeeze. It sounds like a magazine issue and I would try several different mags to see if the problem persists.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 1:19:25 PM EDT
[#3]
is the bolt catch catching on the front of the bolt?
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 1:51:30 PM EDT
[#4]
yes it is
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 3:58:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I checked again and its catching the bolt carrier and not the bolt itself.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I have experienced a similar problem a few times and it was either a magazine not inserted correctly while on a closed bolt or a bad magazine.  Any feeding problem I have ever had have been attributed to either magazines (99%), gas system installed incorrectly by the OEM or barrel extension installed incorrectly- both on the same rifle.  I would try some different brands of magazines.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 6:05:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have experienced a similar problem a few times and it was either a magazine not inserted correctly while on a closed bolt or a bad magazine.  Any feeding problem I have ever had have been attributed to either magazines (99%), gas system installed incorrectly by the OEM or barrel extension installed incorrectly- both on the same rifle.  I would try some different brands of magazines.
View Quote

Oke i will try that, i'll let you know, thanks so far
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:10:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The rifle is short stroking, it should catch the front of the bolt.

Make sure it is properly lubed. And try different ammo.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:10:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Not familiar with the brand but often a firearm will have a few issues when brand new.

Firearm factories are filthy dirty places and most new firearms have some grit in them. A few cleaning cycles might be necessary to get most of it.

A new firearm will be tight and have a few rough spots . Shooting several hundred rounds in a AR type goes a long way towards smoothing things out.

Most new ARs need to be almost dripping with oil to get reasonable function.

If you suspect short stroking check the gas key and its screws for any looseness.

What ammo are you using? Lower power 223 ammo will run most ARs after break in but can be close to the line with newer , tighter firearms. Full power 5.56 is the best bet.

Basic list for a happy AR

Good full power ammo
lots of lube
When in doubt,try a different magazine

Full magazines can be hard to seat in a AR with the bolt locked back, drop your load a round or two (load 18 in a 20 or 28 in a 30)
Or just smash the mag home.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:32:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 4:17:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Thank you all.

I finally know what was the problem. I replaced the stock and  the screw at the end of the buffertube was too long so the buffer could not got far enough back (the screw with a hole).

I  shortened the screw and the Ar cycles like new again.

This topic can be closed.

thanks again!
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top