Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2017 3:51:19 PM EDT
Need a little advice.....

Several years ago I put a 5.56 M4 together, building up the lower and finishing it off with fully assembled upper I picked up on line. Due to some medical issues at the time, I never really got it out to the range to try it out...... until a number of weeks ago.
I had mounted a rather inexpensive Center Point scope on it and bore sighted it in here at the house. When trying to zero it in at the range, stuff was hitting all over the place on a 50 yarder. Thinking it was the scope, I picked up another and went back to the range. SOS.

Today I went back, this time with another 5.56 I had built way back when (actually my first). Tried swapping the lowers, same stuff. When I put the older upper on the "new" lower, I was able to bring it in...... not perfect because I didn't steady rest it, but a heck of a lot better than the new upper that appears to have a problem.
As mentioned, I first mounted this upper a number of years ago and have no clue where I got it, but it was from one of the larger on-line companies I usually use and it was supposed to be new. I don't recall seeing anything at the time I got it to make me think that it wasn't.

So, what do I look for that might be obvious and causing this thing to be horribly inaccurate???

TIA
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 4:22:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Oops double tap.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 4:25:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Make sure your scope mount is tight, the rings and the base.

And you really really ought to use some type of rest, trying to zero a scope free hand is a good way to chase your shots around in circles.

Sorry, I'm a little unclear on the optics...have you only tried the "new upper" with that particular scope?

Inspect the upper for any deficiencies, for instance I've seen a brand spanking new from the factory Bushmaster with a loose barrel nut. The gun was cycling even thought the barrel was practically falling out.

ETA:

I'm not bashing your choice in optics but there are a few much better opions out there in the same price range than that Centerpoint at least from the one sample of Centerpoint I've used.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 4:35:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Who made the barrel?
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 5:10:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Make sure your scope mount is tight, the rings and the base.

And you really really ought to use some type of rest, trying to zero a scope free hand is a good way to chase your shots around in circles.

Sorry, I'm a little unclear on the optics...have you only tried the "new upper" with that particular scope?

Inspect the upper for any deficiencies, for instance I've seen a brand spanking new from the factory Bushmaster with a loose barrel nut. The gun was cycling even thought the barrel was practically falling out.

ETA:

I'm not bashing your choice in optics but there are a few much better opions out there in the same price range than that Centerpoint at least from the one sample of Centerpoint I've used.
View Quote

Scope and rings are tight.

Not completely freehand, using a bipod. Three other rifles I put together can knock the ~1/2" center out of a Shoot-N-C at the same distance, or longer. Two of those rifles are using an UTG scope, as is this one now.

The new upper with the new UTG scope - all over the place.
The older upper with the new UTG scope - all in the black of the 5-1/2" Shoot-N-C.

Another asked who made the barrel - Not sure. No name is immediately obvious unless it's under the hand guard.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 5:13:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Who made the barrel?
View Quote

Not sure, as it's not immediately obvious...... unless it's under the hand guard. Where is that usually found?
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 6:22:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Might be under handguard.

Can you post pics?

Pull off the handguards and check the barrel nut....
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 7:09:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Can you post pics?

View Quote

Honestly, that was one of the things I was going to check. Just haven't done it yet.

I have a barrel nut wrench, but no barrel vise clamp action block. Wandering all over the place like it is, probably won't need that to check. We shall see. I'll pull it apart tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 8:03:39 PM EDT
[#8]
The thing with barrels is the difference between a match grade high end and a run of the mill cheap one isn't going to be noticable at 50 yards without a rest.

Not quite sure what the OP's definition of "all over the place" is but likely it is something more than a cheap barrel.
Things to look for-----
Lose barrel nut
Flash hider mounted off center or crooked causing bullet strikes.
Something real bad with rifling , should be visiable if you look .

As others have said, lose scope mount.

Something should be pretty funky as ARs,even those with off the shelf bargin price parts tend to shoot decent unless something is clearly lose or really cobbed together
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 8:11:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Can you post pics?

View Quote

Your barrel nut isn't tight (torqued to at least 30+ foot pounds) would be my first guess. Since you put it together so long ago you may have only slapped it together to see how it fit.

Cheap Chinese red dots and scopes are absolute junk. I have seen new Sightmark scopes that were broken when new in-the-box. They couldn't be zeroed no matter how hard you try. UTG and any of the other Chinese brands are something I would give to a child as a toy. They are not good enough for use on a firearm. You are better off using irons than anything made in China.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:26:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Your barrel nut isn't tight (torqued to at least 30+ foot pounds) would be my first guess. Since you put it together so long ago you may have only slapped it together to see how it fit.

Cheap Chinese red dots and scopes are absolute junk. I have seen new Sightmark scopes that were broken when new in-the-box. They couldn't be zeroed no matter how hard you try. UTG and any of the other Chinese brands are something I would give to a child as a toy. They are not good enough for use on a firearm. You are better off using irons than anything made in China.
View Quote

I bought the upper pre-assembled from one of the bigger suppliers.

I've been very happy with the UTG scopes I have.

This was on a 100yd. range, 7.62 x 39 AR, UTG scope, bipod.

When you get up in the 70's, you're not as steady as you used to be.  :-(
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:33:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The thing with barrels is the difference between a match grade high end and a run of the mill cheap one isn't going to be noticable at 50 yards without a rest.

Not quite sure what the OP's definition of "all over the place" is but likely it is something more than a cheap barrel.
Things to look for-----
Lose barrel nut
Flash hider mounted off center or crooked causing bullet strikes.
Something real bad with rifling , should be visiable if you look .

As others have said, lose scope mount.

Something should be pretty funky as ARs,even those with off the shelf bargin price parts tend to shoot decent unless something is clearly lose or really cobbed together
View Quote

"All over the place" had a few rounds in the 5-1/2" Shoot-N-C, few on the 11x17 backing I had them stuck to, and the rest who-knows-where.

Rifling looks okay. Could see nothing weird about it.

Did look at the hider and could not see where anything was hitting it.

I will look at the barrel nut tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 2:08:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Man, my Stag shoots like that at 50 yards off the bench with sandbags. Changed my upper to a .450 bushmaster and it clover leafs at 75 - 100 yards. Changed multiple ammo brands and weights and still horrible grouping. I'm just gonna change the barrel. Hopefully you can pull tighter groups with a simple fix. Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:37:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:59:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I've decided to wait before doing anything further on my questionable 5.56 upper to try and figure out what's going on. If I'm going to need to start dissecting the thing, I might as well do it with the correct tools so I don't fook something up. Already have a couple variations of barrel nut wrenchs, pin punches, etc., but I just put an Action Block and Armorer's Bench Block on order. We'll dive back into it once that stuff gets here. In the interim, thank you all for the suggestions and will update this thread as we proceed.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#15]
What weight bullets are you shooting?

Are both the uppers using a barrel with the same rate of twist?
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 5:49:02 PM EDT
[#16]
To answer the last question..... been shooting 62gn. Lake City and Privi Partizan.

And the update:
Could not detect any barrel manufacturer identifier; no markings that I could find… which is a little disturbing.
The flash hider is not in the way and deflecting the rounds.
The barrel nut is tight. How tight? Dunno, but it still wasn’t budging approaching 50 ft. lbs.

Frustrating that I couldn’t find anything obvious with the rifle itself. Put it back together with the EO Tech I had on the other upper, and will use it as the “house gun” until I have time to really spend some quality time with it.

Nekked:

Flash hider view of things:

Going back together:

Think I'll have a beer......................
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 8:24:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Get rid of that riser and mount your EOTech directly to the rail. Who makes that thing? "Famous Maker" is the English translation for the Chinese saying of "piece of shit". That, I believe is the problem.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 8:48:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Get rid of that riser and mount your EOTech directly to the rail. Who makes that thing? "Famous Maker" is the English translation for the Chinese saying of "piece of shit". That, I believe is the problem.
View Quote

That riser has only been mounted with the EO Tech on the the other AR's upper that shoots fine with the scope. I have not used it on this "bad" upper.

This is getting convoluted and the gist of the issue is getting lost in my feeble attempt to make things more clear.

Thanks all - we'll figure it out.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:39:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That riser has only been mounted with the EO Tech on the the other AR's upper that shoots fine with the scope. I have not used it on this "bad" upper.

This is getting convoluted and the gist of the issue is getting lost in my feeble attempt to make things more clear.

Thanks all - we'll figure it out.
View Quote

Sorry you're having bad luck with your rifle OP. Glad your health issues have gotten better..good shooting with the 7.62x39 by the way.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top