Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/28/2017 8:32:40 PM EDT
I took my newly assembled 300BLK SBR to the range today and was running both Remington Supers (120grn) and Subs (220grn).  Rifle is un-suppressed at the moment, can hasn't come in yet.

New PMAGs used for both ammo types and the Supers ran flawlessly.  I got light strikes on the Subs and changing magazines did not fix the issue.  Dropping the rounds into the chamber one at a time (even the lightly struck ones) and firing them went off without a hitch, which made me think it was a mag issue.  But the primers and case dimensions should be the same for both ammo types right?  Weird batch of ammo?  Something to check in the bolt?

Rifle specs:
BCM 9" 300BLK upper
BCM bolt
Spikes lower with CMC trigger
JP Silent Capture buffer

Since it ran fine with the supers and it's not suppressed, the only thing I could think of was a bolt issue, but it loaded and extracted fine.  Any ideas why would I have issues with the subs?  I don't have any of the light strike ammo on me, but I do have the remaining rounds from the mag if pictures would help.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 10:39:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:50:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Dano523 for your reply.

These were all new manufactured Remington rounds - green/yellow and green/white box.  I released the bolt with the bolt stop and/or didn't ride the CH forward.  

Would the bolt lockup issue only be present on the subsonic rounds?  If there was an issue I'd expect it to occur with all the ammo, not just the subs?

I don't have an ammo gauge, but thinking back I did not try loading a single round, closing the bolt, and then inserting the magazine to see if the gun would cycle properly.  But cycling fine with the supers made me think it wasn't a cycling issue.  

I bought the upper complete from BCM, I only built the lower, but I will check the alignment of the gas tube to the carrier.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 3:01:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 3:58:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Once you check the alignment of the key to gas tube, and even to make sure that the sides of the key are not binding up on the inner U slot of the upper receiver,

Load a live round via the mag with the safety on, and take a good look inside the ejection port to make sure that the face of the carrier is tight against the face of the barrel extension.

If the key is not aligned with the gas tube, then it could be enough to either cause the bolt to not fully lock up, or worse, the carrier does a slight bounce off the barrel extension at lock up, and the gas tube to key bind is enough to not allow the carrier to move back forward instead.
I might have to check this next time I'm at the range.  I'm assuming the bolt is locking up properly though unless the subsonic rounds have some dimensional anomaly?

Short of this, make sure that the hammer spring is installed the correct orientation,
http://oi43.tinypic.com/2hd1kqb.jpg
The trigger is a CMC drop-in so everything is self-contained.  I'll guess it's not a trigger spring issue.

And you have take the time to pull the bolt/extractor, and clean the inner slot and channel for both in the bolt.
Also, if you do find that you have a O ring around the extractor spring, remove it.   The O ring is more of a band aid, and it can keep the bolt from fully locking up since it creates too much extractor tension, and does not allow the extractor to slip over the case rim at loading cleanly; to allow the bolt to fully lock up.  If the mags are new, they too should be stripped down and CLP cleaned as well.

I'll do both of these.

As for 300 blk out mags, would help to know which type are in play.  With magpul 223 mags, the inner ribs has to be slightly modified to allow the rounds to sit cleaning against the feed lips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://youtu.be/wkwJ5DT9Uhs

I'm using Gen2 window Pmags so I will check this out, thanks.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 4:29:09 PM EDT
[#5]
BTT as I got to the range today to test.

Supers function fine with my SBR lower with CMC trigger.  Subs are still a no-go.

I tried it with a different lower with regular mil spec AR trigger, and both supers and subs fire/function fine.  Does this narrow it down to the trigger?  CMC is striking too light to fire subs but enough to fire supers?
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 5:05:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 5:07:52 PM EDT
[#7]
What would cause it to lockup on super rounds fine, but not subs?  What about locking up on the subs after they've misfired, if I load them again?  Every round that had a light strike will fire the second go-round.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:28:05 AM EDT
[#8]
FIXED:

There was a step on the JP buffer instructions that I missed...  I guess my buffer tube is a hair long and per the JP directions, if this happens, you are to add a quarter in the tube behind the JP system.  The buffer wasn't forward enough in the tube (by a quarter's thickness) to always fully seat the bolt into battery.  After shimming with the quarter, no more issues.  Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top