Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2017 6:52:34 PM EDT
Recently purchased an Aero Precision Modern Series 12.5" 5.56 barrel, and I am quite pleased with it.  When I run my SiCo Omega on it, however, I get gas in the face like many folks do; my previous 10.5" barrel I had did the same thing.

I have an AGB and the rifle is tuned to eject at 3 o'clock when suppressed, and is 100% reliable unsuppressed.  I have done the charging handle RTV and the standard charging handle 'gashole' mods and they helped quite a bit...but I would still say it is on the unpleasant side of annoying.

Is there anything else I can do to further reduce or possibly eliminate the gas blowback?

I am admittedly somewhere between 'advanced novice' and 'novice intermediate' when it comes to AR-pattern rifles; I understand the system but simply don't have enough knowledge or experience when it comes to things like this.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 6:59:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I wear a bandana over my face when I shoot my M11/9 suppressed. It's positively nasty on full auto and I end up looking like a raccoon.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 7:05:39 PM EDT
[#2]
adjustable gas block or a gemtech bolt carrier?
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 7:09:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Heavier buffer to delay unlock (allows more time for the gas to escape the bore & suppressor before the chamber is opened).
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 7:17:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Adjustable Gas block
Lantac Enhanced bolt
Griffin Snach
Griffin AR-SOB

RTV is so 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 7:21:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Gemtec bolt carrier.  Can't recommend it enough.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 8:49:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I am running a H2 buffer in this lower.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 10:37:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gemtec bolt carrier.  Can't recommend it enough.
View Quote

Adjustable carriers cut off gas at the carrier, so all the excess gas is still vented into the upper.  For a gas blowback issue, I would imagine an adjustable block would be more desireable.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 8:23:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Face gas is really a matter of suppressor design and ammunition. The majority of it is a result of the gases trapped by the suppressor equalizing back through the barrel, fore and aft, during extraction. The type and quality of the propellant used in the ammunition your shooting also plays a role. Gas system parts will have little, if any, affect on the amount face gas. The volume of gas scavenged from the barrel to operate the rile or carbine is extremely small.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 9:15:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Adjustable carriers cut off gas at the carrier, so all the excess gas is still vented into the upper.  For a gas blowback issue, I would imagine an adjustable block would be more desireable.
View Quote

No.  This particular design vents it out the ejection port, just like it usually happens.  Check out the reviews on youtube.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 10:27:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No.  This particular design vents it out the ejection port, just like it usually happens.  Check out the reviews on youtube.
View Quote

While that isn't pressurizing the receiver area, I don't see how this is better than an adjustable gas block that would keep excess gas out of my face completely?  Port exhaust hangs around a bit.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 10:37:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

While that isn't pressurizing the receiver area, I don't see how this is better than an adjustable gas block that would keep excess gas out of my face completely?  Port exhaust hangs around a bit.
View Quote

If face gas is a result of the operating system and can be eliminated with an adjustable gas block, then how does my MP5SD generate so much face gas when it doesn't have a gas system?
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 10:43:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If face gas is a result of the operating system and can be eliminated with an adjustable gas block, then how does my MP5SD generate so much face gas when it doesn't have a gas system?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bore pressure isn't what I'm talking about. That's more of a timing and backpressure issue.

The assertion was made that the adjustable gas carrier was a better solution than an adjustable gas block.  I'm trying to determine in what way it is better.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 11:01:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I run SLR's on my suppressed guns now, and it helped reduce the gas significantly.    However, I still get some gas to the face from the action... at this point, it probably about the best it can be.  

Several months ago, I had some time behind a MP5SSD running in full-auto, and afterwards, I had oil and crap everywhere.   For some reason, I didn't mind the gas as much.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 11:13:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 2:41:57 AM EDT
[#15]
I dont have any suppressor experience nor do I have adjustable gas block experience so my question is, would a gas block like the Superlative Arms bleed off help to keep some of the gas from coming back without negatively effecting performance? In my mind it would but again, no experience.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 3:15:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
how does my MP5SD generate so much face gas when it doesn't have a gas system?
View Quote

MP5's (and other HK roller firearms) actually do have a gas system of sorts. The fluted chamber uses residual gas pressure from the bore to force the case to extract, in the process of which blows a considerable amount of gas/fouling rearward onto the bolt, receiver area, and out the ejection port toward the user.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 3:18:19 PM EDT
[#17]
My PRI Gas Buster makes a big difference to me.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 9:53:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

MP5's (and other HK roller firearms) actually do have a gas system of sorts. The fluted chamber uses residual gas pressure from the bore to force the case to extract, in the process of which blows a considerable amount of gas/fouling rearward onto the bolt, receiver area, and out the ejection port toward the user.
View Quote

You may very well be right. I know what I don't know but...

Wouldn't the case have to fully obturate until after the bullet exited the bore? At what point in the firing cycle does gas come into play and how much?
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:14:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Wouldn't the case have to fully obturate until after the bullet exited the bore? At what point in the firing cycle does gas come into play and how much?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no idea what I'm talking about but isn't that the magic of the roller-lock/delayed blowback system?
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:30:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have no idea what I'm talking about but isn't that the magic of the roller-lock/delayed blowback system?
View Quote

In my mind, there is no magic in an HK. My MP5SD is a dirty bird. The thought of cleaning it after a range session is why it never see's the light of day.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:49:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

In my mind, there is no magic in an HK. My MP5SD is a dirty bird. The thought of cleaning it after a range session is why it never see's the light of day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear you.  I had a 91 and it wasn't exactly clean.  And of course it mangles brass.

But doesn't that delayed blowback address that issue you raised regarding gas and the case?  There is a period where the bolt is locked up while the rollers are being pushed in and eventually they get to the point where the bolt can move back, the bullet is gone or just about gone, and the residual pressure does it's thing with the case.  If I understand correctly anyway.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 2:12:18 PM EDT
[#22]
I use a PRI Gas Buster, Tubb's Carrier Weight System, an H Buffer and light weight bullets with fast burning powders. It rocks for me.

I use 20.5 grains of H4198 with 52/53 grain match bullets and get 100% reliability, no gas in my face and 3:00 to 4:00 o'clock brass ejection. The powder charge is maximum according to my chronograph but produces the lowest port pressure of any powder useable in .223. This load may or may not cycle a 20" "rifle gassed" unsuppressed rifle. It has always worked for me in carbines suppressed or not.

I'm running a 5.56mm SAKER and a 16" barrel.

M193 and M852 use slow for caliber powders which creates a lot of port pressure. Way more than needed to run a rifle. It's not unusual for M193 to have powder charges weighing 27.0+ grains. It allows higher velocities with safe maximum pressures but has the side effect of over gassing the system when a suppressor is used.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 2:45:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 3:10:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't have my Sandman yet, but my 11.5 already has a gas vent forward assist, and I plan to do the RTV mod to a BCM charging handle.

I'm considering a Gemtech BCG also, but I haven't decided.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 4:26:28 PM EDT
[#25]
I appreciate all the input in this thread.

I did adjust my AGB to the point where it ejects unsuppressed at about 5 o'clock; with the can on ejection is 2:30-3 but the gas in the eye has been mostly eliminated.

Hopefully adjusting the gas down so far during the winter cold will allow it to remain fully reliable in warmer temperatures.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top