Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/5/2016 11:47:26 PM EDT
I just finished a new build of an AR pistol with a 7.5 inch barrel. My issue is when test firing with 2 rounds in a mag it fires both. I have confirmed the fire control group is assembled correctly twice. Springs are correct and parts look good. If it makes any difference it's an Aero Precision upper and lower with their parts kit, AP nickel boron bolt, Ballistic Advantage barrel along with a Shockwave Blade and buffer tube.
I can't seem to find any assembly or part defect with anything. I have checked the reset manually and if I pull the trigger and hold the trigger it catches the hammer when I push it back. To be honest it fires both rounds so fast I can hardly tell it's fired both rounds.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:04:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just finished a new build of an AR pistol with a 7.5 inch barrel. My issue is when test firing with 2 rounds in a mag it fires both. I have confirmed the fire control group is assembled correctly twice. Springs are correct and parts look good. If it makes any difference it's an Aero Precision upper and lower with their parts kit, AP nickel boron bolt, Ballistic Advantage barrel along with a Shockwave Blade and buffer tube.
I can't seem to find any assembly or part defect with anything. I have checked the reset manually and if I pull the trigger and hold the trigger it catches the hammer when I push it back. To be honest it fires both rounds so fast I can hardly tell it's fired both rounds.
View Quote

Your disconnector spring is upside down - fat end goes down into the pocket on the trigger.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:08:01 AM EDT
[#2]
It's in the right way. I remember working for a couple of minutes to get the large end to fit in the trigger. I do have another one on the way in case this one isn't strong enough.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:09:53 AM EDT
[#3]
80% lower?
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:13:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Aero Precision gen 2 lower.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:21:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Check for bolt jarring causing the hammer to drop, from the sear and disconnector.

Clear weapon.

Put on fire, pull trigger, lock bolt to rear, slam bolt home. Pull trigger. Should get another click.

Next time, (use left hand if no BAD lever) pull trigger, lock bolt open while holding trigger. Slam bolt home. Listen for disconnect and then pull trigger for click.

Then try catching the hammer with the disco and seeing if you can pull the hammer free. Possibly try to (pad the edge of the lower if a minor scratch will hurt your feelings) pry the hammer upwards with a punch or small screwdriver.

I've seen it where a disconnector was poorly timed and if the trigger was released just right, the sear wouldn't catch the hammer. Also I've seen where jarring (bolt slamming home) would have the disco let loose. Both were fixed by filing some material from the bottom of the part where it contacts the trigger in front of its pivot pin. This retards the timing so the disconnector releases the hammer later in the release of the trigger.

ETA: in both of those rifles, they worked fine during a typical function check, but live fire would cause the issue. Out of spec parts happen.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:37:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Aero Precision has had so many quality issues of late you can probably chalk it up to out of spec parts.

Repost this on Aero'S sponsor subforum and you should hear back from a CS guy named Jeff on there.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:20:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Your disconnector spring is upside down - fat end goes down into the pocket on the trigger.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/9/2016 7:36:30 PM EDT
[#8]
WD-40? I saw an AK-47 that had been soaked in WD-40 for long term storage that would double and triple. The WD-40 had turned into a varnish like substance on the trigger works and caused it to malfunction.

A fresh coat of WD followed by an aggressive toothbrush and Gun Scrubber got it running like new.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 2:52:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 4:31:09 PM EDT
[#10]
My original issue has been resolved by changing out the carbine buffer with an H2 buffer.
New action item is occasional failure to eject. Case is extracted but not fully ejected. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 4:59:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My original issue has been resolved by changing out the carbine buffer with an H2 buffer.
New action item is occasional failure to eject. Case is extracted but not fully ejected. Any suggestions?
View Quote

Now it sounds like your buffer's too heavy, causing the rifle to short-stroke. Does the bolt come far enough back to lock open if you only load one into the magazine? Does it pick up a new round?
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 1:16:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's possible that the extractor is dropping the case before it gets out the ejection port.

I have had this problem with MY AR pistols. Most AR pistols are over gassed.

An O ring around the extractor spring can help. But a better solution is to slow the bolt down, either with a heavier buffer or an adjustable gas block.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:39:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Disregard-didn't read all posts throughly
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top