Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/12/2016 6:22:51 PM EDT
Hello

Earlier this summer, around June, I built my first AR. My AR15, chambered in 5.56, has a 16" Radical firearms upper mid length gas impingement with an an Anderson BCG, a spikes lower, an ALG ACT trigger and it's failing to extract the empty casing completely. When a round is fired, the BCG will fully cycle and pick up a new round but the spent casing will remain in the rifle and get jammed sideways against the bolt face. This results in the spent casing sticking half way out of the rifle. I ran an anderson carbine buffer and tried switching to a spikes ST-T2 but the problem persists. All of my mags are magpul. The rifle has about 600 rounds through it with a wide variety of ammunition including american eagle 55 gr., double tap 62 gr., federal bulk 55 gr., remington UMC 55 gr., as well as a few hundred hand reloads all 55 gr. checked with a nogo gauge and found them to be right to spec. I sent the upper to Radical and they called me the day they received it saying the test fired 2 mags without an issue and the upper was sent back to me asap. I have not been able to find any consistency with the jamming issue. For the first 200 rounds or so, this was not a problem. Ive found a post that said this is caused by too much pressure on the BCG through the gas tube but i haven't found a solution to the problem. If anyone has any solutions, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

-Brannon
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 10:30:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:43:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm going through something similar with a pistol build but mine is probably due to overgassing. My ejection problem was fixed by installing a BCM extractor spring upgrade kit but it still has excessive recoil. Unless your mid seems to have excessive recoil, this probably is not your problem. In addition to the proper cleaning previously suggested I would buy an upgraded extractor spring kit (such as from BCM) that has a stronger spring and insert along with an O ring. You may also need to replace the extractor, inspect it. I would also check the ejector. The ejector should be hard to push down with your fingernail - if it's fairly easy, replace the spring and check the ejector for damage. Regardless, you need to narrow down what the issue is. The replacement parts I suggested shouldn't cost more than $10-20 and they will serve you well even if this isn't the issue. After firing 20 -30 rds, remove the bolt and check it. Are there tiny brass shavings on the face? Check your brass for damage by the ejector and the extractor - if it's overgassed, you'll see where the ejector has clearly indented the brass. Damage by the extractor is harder to see unless you know what you're looking for. Bottom line: I'll bet that replacing the extractor spring components as I specified will fix your problem, if it doesn't, replace the ejector spring. Anderson sells some good stuff but after reviews I've read I have to question their quality control. I'm sure the steel BCG is fine. Replace the parts I suggested. Make sure your BCG is well lubed when you fire it. Did you send the BCG to Radical with the upper when they test fired it?
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 4:51:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Try the Spikes buffer in addition to a BCM extractor upgrade. A new ejector spring etc may be needed as well. I've had a bad extractor spring on a nicer BCG than an Anderson so it's certainly possible.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 6:35:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank yall for all the suggestions. I was finally able to get to the range after trying some of yall's suggestions. The bolt is locking back consistently on last round. I cleaned the chamber thoroughly before shooting as well. This time, I had 3 out of 50 rounds jam in the same fashion. The only thing left i haven't tried is the BCM extractor upgrade.  Could such a small upgrade fix the issue? I'm not quite sure what else could be the problem.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 6:46:02 PM EDT
[#5]
russ48,
Yes, i included the BCG when i sent the upper to radical and they told me that it checked out fine. There were not any brass shavings on the bolt but there is damage on 6 of the 50 cases on the rim where the extractor contacts the brass.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top