Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2016 9:27:15 PM EDT
I just assembled my 2nd AR and the only issue I am having is when I line up the marks on the barrel and gas block over the gas port hole and tighten the gas block down where it is supposed to be, the gas tube is rubbing the gas key and making the charging handle very hard to pull back, and also not letting the bcg seat fully doing the gravity test. I can remedy this issue by loosening and rotating the gas block a little to one side, and that makes the bcg ride smooth over the tube, but then my problem is the gas block slightly hits my rail. I am using a free float rail with a proprietary barrel nut, so there is no milspec "teeth" to get lined up for the tube. Also the barrel is an Odin Works ultralite 10.5" barrel and I am using the Odin gas block they sent free with the barrel. Gas tube is CMMG carbine length. What would cause my problem here and how do I fix it? Could the gas tube be out of spec? Or could I bend it slightly to make it fit better? The BCG I pulled out of my other AR which works fine in it, so I am ruling it out.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 10:54:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Bend it a little bit.

Take it easy because you don't need much change.  It's springy so you'll need to over bend it some.

Try to make the adjustment down the whole length of the tube and not just in one place.

- Chris

Link Posted: 10/11/2016 11:41:09 AM EDT
[#2]
It is not uncommon to need to align the tube for best fit to the key.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 1:47:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Awesome, thanks for the info guys. If I do bend it, will it not go back to its original shape once it gets hot?

Also, I guess I should bend it a little bit under the handguard, not at the end inside the receiver correct? Just have to make sure I don't bend it so much that it actually touches the receiver going in.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 2:00:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Awesome, thanks for the info guys. If I do bend it, will it not go back to its original shape once it gets hot?

Also, I guess I should bend it a little bit under the handguard, not at the end inside the receiver correct? Just have to make sure I don't bend it so much that it actually touches the receiver going in.
View Quote

After that I never worry about it or look again.  I would say probably not, or it will 'clearance itself'.

Remove the bolt and the charging handle and just use the BCG when aligning the gas tube.

Thanks for the link to that tool!  I will make one the next time I need one.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top