Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2016 10:43:10 AM EDT
I just got a spikes tactical warthog lower. I was putting it together got to the latch pin installation when it got stuck. I tried to reverse the pin to get it out when the punch I was using broke off in the pin. so I bought another punch to try and knock it out, it just will not move. I used a dremel to cut the pin down thinking it would ease the tension and come out. so im kinda stuck. I looked into getting a bolt catch pin punch tool hoping that will work and getting the rest of the pin out. but if that don't work what can I do to remove it?
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 10:47:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Lube and a bigger hammer
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 10:53:06 AM EDT
[#2]
ive used lube and a bigger hammer, the issue is clearance. the design of the lower is not ur normal lower the warthog is raised to where the punch is not flat it angles hence the reason why the 1st punch broke
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 10:58:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Throw it in the oven at 200-300 degrees for a few minutes? The aluminum lower should expand more than the pin and make it easier to remove.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 11:02:44 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

ive used lube and a bigger hammer, the issue is clearance. the design of the lower is not ur normal lower the warthog is raised to where the punch is not flat it angles hence the reason why the 1st punch broke
View Quote

Push it through the same way u started..... then do the next one with vice grip, like you should have the first time.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 11:11:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe one of these? - Brownell's Slab-Side Roll Pin Punch

Link Posted: 10/7/2016 11:44:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Im waiting on this tool, I was just seeing what other option are available if this tool doesn't work. but thanks for the suggestion
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 12:18:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Throw it in the oven at 200-300 degrees for a few minutes? The aluminum lower should expand more than the pin and make it easier to remove.
View Quote

And burn the shit out of your hands while you try to work on it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 1:54:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are welding gloves too hard to find in your area? How about some oven mitts? Parts get shrunk fit with ovens and freezers all the time out in the world of industrial machinery. It's not any special technique.

Link Posted: 10/7/2016 10:11:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 9:09:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 9:19:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not a fan of short punches for the roll pin for the bolt catch, since it too easy to scrap the hell out of the side of the receiver with the punch; even with the side taped to try to prevent such.  Plus, since you can stay straight with the back of the roll pin on a short punch since your trying not to scrap the receiver with it, it's too easy to angle pressure the back of the  pin to cause problems of it not being driving in straight through the channel as well.

So once the pin leading edge of the roll pin has been drill spun slightly radius and clean up so it will drive cleanly straight through, then long Roll pin retainer punch is  first use to start the pin in the channel and keep is driving straight, then will come back with a long roll pin punch to finish driving the roll pin in place the last of the way.
View Quote

I've yet to do that but I haven't put together too many lowers either. Seems like a good idea and very little effort required.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 9:25:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 1:28:08 PM EDT
[#14]
ya I got this tool it isn't gonna help in this situation
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:29:30 AM EDT
[#15]
so I had to take it to a gunsmith, he drilled the broken punch out then had to heat it up and hammered the remaining pin out. he said hes never seen a pin so stuborn to get out b4. took an hour and 20 mins to get the job done. paid 20 bucks for the work
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 4:45:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Just installed a new LPK with a "spring pin " for the bolt catch and it was a dream to install. Roll pins suck.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:00:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just installed a new LPK with a "spring pin " for the bolt catch and it was a dream to install. Roll pins suck.
View Quote

Roll pins are fine if they're of decent quality. Dano illustrated a potential problem with them. Like a lot of other things the last few years has seen a marked decrease in the quality of a lot of small parts. This has been obvious to anyone that works in manufacturing. You really never know what you're going to get or where it's manufactured.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:56:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I just got a spikes tactical warthog lower. I was putting it together got to the latch pin installation when it got stuck. I tried to reverse the pin to get it out when the punch I was using broke off in the pin. so I bought another punch to try and knock it out, it just will not move. I used a dremel to cut the pin down thinking it would ease the tension and come out. so im kinda stuck. I looked into getting a bolt catch pin punch tool hoping that will work and getting the rest of the pin out. but if that don't work what can I do to remove it?
View Quote

Chadillac317,
What brand was the lower parts kit that you used?
I have seen a few really stubborn bolt catch pins lately and curious what yours was.
Also, good to hear the gunsmith was able to get it out.
$20 for an hour and a halfs work is a steal!
Make sure you give him a nice xmas card this year.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top