Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/24/2016 7:06:02 PM EDT
Just completed my first at build and took it shooting. Only problem I'm having is that it won't cycle after each fired round. It is pulling the expended brass and ejecting it, but it's not coming back far enough to chamber the next round. I do have a Seekins adjustable gas block but even with it opened all the way up I'm stil not getting enough kick back.

Running a carbine buffer with a 15.5" barrel.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:07:26 PM EDT
[#1]
My best guess is that you have the gas block out of alignment. That is the most common novice mistake I see on new, complete upper builds. I assume your barrel is not dimpled as well for the set screws too?

Also, if your gas block IS properly aligned, you could also have a loose gas key in the carrier.

Apart from that would have to be out of spec parts or broken/worn/missing gas rings on the bolt. On rare occasions, you could have an out of spec buffer spring, although the out of spec springs I have seen are normally missing coil counts vs being too stiff.

I see you're in TN. Best scenario would be to send me some pictures of the upper and gas block installed and I could trouble shoot it through pics and messages. Worst case scenario, you could mail me the upper and I could assemble it correctly and ship it back. I also have the correct jigs for barrel dimpling and could knock that out as well. I would only ask you to cover shopping both ways. This would be assuming all parts are in spec. Also, if parts end up being out of spec, email the manufacturer and see if they would replace it for you with an proper spec component.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:18:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Is the gas block touching the barrel shoulder ?

It is designed to allow space for the endcap.
Move it forward .025 ( use a feeler gauge ), then try again.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:16:30 PM EDT
[#3]
This too. If you use the proper jigs, the spacing is pre-accounted for. It can vary from .025-.029 in distance from the shoulder. Just recently, I swapped barrels for an individual in a new 11.5" BCM upper and it was on the loose side (.029, probably due to the fact that they now dimple their barrels AFTER phosphate and using a much larger bit that doesn't seem to be dimple as accurately as they use too.

Offer still stands to assemble the upper correctly for the OP.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:29:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 12:05:52 AM EDT
[#5]
So I have the same problem with my seekins I installed. I replaced the standard A2 front sight gas block. Then when I went to set the gas block I opened it up all the way and it still wouldn't set the BCG all the way back so that it would strip the next round off. However it did work with the suppressor on and only 3/4 turn from completely having the adjustment set to closed. Would that spacing be the cause when firing unsuppressed?
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 12:53:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top