Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/20/2016 7:58:20 PM EDT
Rock River upper and lower. Krieger 18" barrel with mid length gas system. Not sure about bolt carrier group, this is not my rifle.  55gr FMJ ammo, both Win and handloads.  First shot fires and good strong ejection at about 4-5 o'clock. Second shot fires and case drops out softly at about 3 o'clock position.  There is no third shot because it never chambered from the magazine.  I have checked gas block alignment, gas tube, bolt seams to be functioning properly in carrier, no blockage at key, or anything else I can think of.  Now for the strange part.  I swapped carrier only with one of mine (Bushmaster), using all other bolt carrier group part from original rifle and everything functions fine with good strong 4-5 o'clock position ejection.  What could be wrong with the carrier casing this?
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:37:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Grasping at straws here, but is the existing carrier a full auto carrier and is your a 'light weight" carrier? Perhaps the gas system isn't strong enough to push a full auto carrier (remember, grasping at straws)

Another issue could be an out of spec (or loose) case key. First shot works ok, but the key gets misaligned and doesn't engage the gas tube fully causing next shot to be weaker and so on ...

Hopefully other will have better ideas.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:42:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 5:14:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the suggestion guys.  Gonna' check everything out one more time, maybe I'm missing something simple.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 7:50:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm officially defeated by this rifle.  I checked everything over after a very good cleaning. Everything is lined up and tight. Same issue, either on or two shots and it short strokes.  I put the carrier in my Bushmaster with my bolt and other parts, no issues at all. It only happens with the original rifle with the carrier that was in it.  Rifle A will not function with carrier A, but will function with carrier B. Rifle B will function with carrier A or B.  The carrier being the only change. I've measured, inspected, measured, cleaned until I can't see straight.  I'm done.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:51:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 7:41:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Sully.  I have not tried the bare carrier for function, but will.  The carrier that does function is an AR15 type with the unshrouded firing pin. The one that does not function is what I have seen called the AR15  Enhanced. Shrouded firing pin and not cut as far back at the rear. About half-way between M16 and AR15 cut.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 12:08:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:18:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Dano.  The owner has the rifle back now, but I'll see if I can get it back and check the things you mentioned.  I was putting all of my thought into the gas system and didn't consider lower receiver parts.  I know it has a match trigger in it, I'm guessing a Rock River.  Something may not be adjusted right on it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:41:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Check and see if the original bolt's gas rings are binding in the original carrier. Just went through a bout with mine. Had to polish the inside of the carrier so the bolt would slide freely. It was short stroking.  It was the last thing I checked, unfortunately.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top