Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2016 12:25:41 AM EDT
So this happened... never use the 556/223 hoppes bore snake on a sr15...anyone have any suggestions? The entire length of the barrel is filled with the bore snake i can't get out.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:34:56 AM EDT
[#1]
They are tight, the first time I used mine I had to have a buddy hold the rifle down, wrap the string around my hand a few times and pull like hell. It will come out.

Eta: make sure it isn't caught on a burr on the feed ramps or barrel extension.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:41:59 AM EDT
[#2]
It looks like its stuck at the muzzle. Its a KAC sr15 mod 2, i really tried to pull this through man. Dont wanna break the muzzle lol.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:43:16 AM EDT
[#3]
If you have an upper vice block, throw it on there, wrap whatever exposed length you have around a screw driver and pull. Use a longer broom handle as a lever against something sturdy and work it that way.

If you give up, a smith is going to hammer it out backward with a wood or brass dowel.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:49:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have an upper vice block, throw it on there, wrap whatever exposed length you have around a screw driver and pull. Use a longer broom handle as a lever against something sturdy and work it that way.

If you give up, a smith is going to hammer it out backward with a wood or brass dowel.
View Quote

That's probably not going to happen. As you hammer the rod in the wedge will tighten. Something that breaks down the fibers of the bore snake are what's required.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:55:48 AM EDT
[#5]
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1231409&highlight=Bore+snake
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:56:45 AM EDT
[#6]
What dissolving agent is that?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:07:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:  It looks like its stuck at the muzzle. Its a KAC sr15 mod 2, i really tried to pull this through man. Dont wanna break the muzzle lol.
View Quote

Can you unscrew your muzzle device, or is it welded on?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:15:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:54:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Believe it is welded. Could not torque it. Does aqueous amonia damage barrel?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:00:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't think ammonia and chrome work well together.  Is it a chrome lined bbl?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:20:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Don't think ammonia and chrome work well together.  Is it a chrome lined bbl?
View Quote

You would be correct, if it is chrome lined, it won't end well.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:23:20 PM EDT
[#12]
A propane torch should break the fibers down.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:42:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Did it break off?
I have had to stand on the snake while pulling up on the rifle a few times.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nylon melts....
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Maybe try pulling it out backwards? If there's not enough to grab try twisting something in it to grip it
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:39:38 PM EDT
[#16]
The single time this happened to me through my own fault (wrong size snake), I was able to slowly saturate the entire snake and barrel with lubricant and eventually get it out. Might be worth a try.

Tom
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:41:30 PM EDT
[#17]
The brute yanking worked! Had to get a friend to help out haha. Never gonna bore snake that thing again. The rifle is a beauty, would have been a shame to have a snake permanently stuck in. It :)
Quoted:
Did it break off?
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:57:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The brute yanking worked! Had to get a friend to help out haha. Never gonna bore snake that thing again. The rifle is a beauty, would have been a shame to have a snake permanently stuck in. It :)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did it break off?

Fantastic!
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:45:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Nylon melts....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nylon melts....

Probably not a good idea then...

I thought they were made of cloth.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:52:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Not sure that a torch idea is so great an idea for a number of reasons.  
I'm sure someone will have an idea that will work.  If not you may need to get a bore mongoose.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:13:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:17:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I have to ask. WTF are you people doing? I bet I have cleaned my weapons 500 times and NEVER got anything stuck in them! 3rd post in 2weeks where someone is in a panic with something stuck in their barrel.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:23:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have to ask. WTF are you people doing? I bet I have cleaned my weapons 500 times and NEVER got anything stuck in them! 3rd post in 2weeks where someone is in a panic with something stuck in their barrel.
View Quote

I agree.

I just got a bunch of Otis ripcords in(bogo deal). I was nervous to test them out.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:53:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Standard cleaning rod and brush. Works every time. No toxic barrel martinis need to be mixed to dissolve strings lodged in the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 3:41:44 PM EDT
[#25]
This is why I like the Otis Ripcords. You can attache a brass T handle to either end or if you have the Otis pull cable it can be attached to either end as well.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nylon melts....

They aren't 100% nylon but like anything these days nothing is made without some amount of nylon...
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 6:17:19 PM EDT
[#27]
This happened to me once when I put a patch in the end of the handle with oil on it.  Have done that hundreds of times w/o issue but this time I used a patch that was a little bigger than .22.  What I did was soak the bore snake with oil, mostly the breech end.  I then wrapped the string sticking out the barrel around an aerosol can and with the rifle held in place worked the can like a wench.  I could roll the can in my hands using it to pull little by little.  Hope this helps some one.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top