Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2016 9:25:38 PM EDT
I recently decided to get back into the AR game and bought a new upper and an AIM Surplus $99 NIB BCG.

Last night I was just testing fit and couldn't seat the BCG all the way.  There is about an inch poking out from the back of the receiver.  I tested with and without the charging handle and it was exactly the same both times.  Unfortunately, I don't have another upper or bolt carrier group to try and troubleshoot.  

I'm hoping you fellas could tell me if something might be out of spec so I know who to contact.  Oh, and I believe I had the bolt fully extended when I was attempting to install the BCG.

ETA:  Removed pictures of the BCG because that wasn't the issue.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 10:28:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Apply a generous amount of lubricant to the bolt and carrier, then try again.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 10:45:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Who built the upper?  PSA had a few slip out with the wrong gas tubes, preventing the BCG from fully seating.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 7:59:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 8:11:27 AM EDT
[#4]
remove gas tube, check for function
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 9:37:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Who built the upper?  PSA had a few slip out with the wrong gas tubes, preventing the BCG from fully seating.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Radical Firearms near Houston, TX.  I live about 40 minutes away and the price seemed pretty reasonable.  I hope that wasn't the case.  Thanks for the heads up!

Quoted:
The gas tube was not correctly seated in the FSB/gas block channel, and would dare to guess that the roll pin that is supposed to go through the side channel in the  gas tube, is now in front of the tube in the FSB instead.  If the roll pin is through it channel in the gas block, the the something is screwed up, since the end of the gas tube is way to far back in the upper receiver.  Hence either gas tube is out of spec, or something strange is going on with the barrel shoulder for the gas block/FSB to cause the end of the gas tube to be that far back in the upper receiver.

Hence the sealing band of the gas tube should be about center of the radius cut for the key in the upper receiver.

http://xpnphg.blu.livefilestore.com/y1px_51vblgRSTdsrPM2QG1K66JkBdG8C3xNqWm2tUAqWZ3HmA-xAP0LbzYMPu6X6U2GuBplSJDFdF2FiKL6d8uLPh0rQPPcd3V/DSC_5315.jpg
http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz98/68SS2/firearms/126_0590.jpg

Oh wow.  Thank you for the pictures and diagnosis!  I'm going to give Radical a call tomorrow just because it is brand new and go from there.  In the mean time I'll do some more research and see how difficult it is to resolve the issue myself.  Thank you again!
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 9:38:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
remove gas tube, check for function
View Quote

I'll have to see how to do that.  Thank you for the tip!

Quoted:
Apply a generous amount of lubricant to the bolt and carrier, then try again.
View Quote

Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to try that once I get the gas tube straightened out.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 1:31:26 PM EDT
[#7]
theres a small roll pin in the gas block that retains the gas tube

drive it out with a finishing nail (or a small punch)

you should then be able to slide the tube back towards the reciever, rotate it

and slide it out the front of the reciever
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 5:58:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Pull the bolt out (forward). Your picture shows it in the retracted state.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 1:48:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks for the guidance and instructions Doc Zox.  I've emailed RF along with the link to this thread so they can take a gander at all of the pictures.  I'm definitely not against doing the work myself once I've become a bit more familiar with the system but I may have to pick up some more tools that are meant for working on ARs.

Thank you again!

Quoted:
Pull the bolt out (forward). Your picture shows it in the retracted state.

I did have the bolt extended when trying to insert it into the receiver.  You're right though, a couple pics do have the bolt retracted but a couple do have it extended as well.  I did that just in case something could be spotted malfunctioning in one of it's two states.  I do appreciate the troubleshooting though.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 9:38:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I ran the upper over to Radical Firearms this afternoon and they took a look at it and agreed it was the gas tube.  So, 20 minutes later I was out the door with everything functioning as it should.

Thanks to all!  There are some great and knowledgeable members on this site!
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 11:29:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Was it a bad gas tube or was it installed incorrectly?
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 11:09:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Was it a bad gas tube or was it installed incorrectly?
View Quote

I think he said it was just installed incorrectly.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 11:28:12 AM EDT
[#13]
does it now seat with less tube inside the receiver?
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 1:51:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
does it now seat with less tube inside the receiver?
View Quote

Yes.  It's good to go.  Thanks for all of your help!
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 6:09:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I ran the upper over to Radical Firearms this afternoon and they took a look at it and agreed it was the gas tube.  So, 20 minutes later I was out the door with everything functioning as it should.

Thanks to all!  There are some great and knowledgeable members on this site!
View Quote

It's good they took care of the issue.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 2:43:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought 2 of there gas tube and  neither, wouldn't fit in the gas key,primary arms took care of it
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 4:57:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Can you post a picture of what your gas tube looks like now that they fixed it....I have a post on here where I am having some of the same problems with my NEW Radical Arms upper...

My post is " Gouges in my new Upper " ...and I explain everything that was happening....sounds a lot like what happened to you....

I f you could post some pics I would appreciate it ...

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:30:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Here you go and I hope this helps!

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 3:58:33 PM EDT
[#19]
About the time the op opened this thread I assembled an upper and set it aside waiting for rail and bcg. When I installed the bcg I noticed it stopped about 1/16" short of fully seating. Having read this thread I removed the bcg and checked where the gas tube ended, sure enough it looked like the picture in the op's opening post. Thinking back  the pin was very tight fit in the gas block requiring several more strikes than usual to start. Thanks!
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top