Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2016 6:58:55 AM EDT
Hello guys
I'm writing my first post here, so hopefully you guys can help me;)
I'm a gunsmith from switzerland and I made my first AR15 build. Sadly it doesn't cycle how I wish it should.

Parts list: it's a CMT Ambi Receiver Set, with a B-Tac 10,5" 1-9twist carbine Barrel, carbine length gas tube,  Anderson Manufacturing M16 Bolt, a .750 dia gasblock. If more part manufacturers are needed, just ask;)

Then i went shooting:
There are a few things that this rifle does, but still not cycling normal. Sometimes its a double load(shot brass only half ejected, then the next round stuck it), sometimes it does eject the brass but not feed the next round. Sometimes also shot, but when I lock de bolt, the spent brass was not ejectet. As I actually can say, it seems that my bolt is short stroking.
I tried different ammo, 3 different buffers (normal, H, H2) and two magazines, Magpul and Tapco.
Can someone help me or get an advice, that helps?

When i'm home, i'm looking forward to upload some pics
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 5:39:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:30:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Double check the gas block location to make sure it's lined up properly with the barrel gas port. Depending on who drilled the barrel and made the gas block you may need to shim the gas block forward to get alignment.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:28:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I just finished a 10.5" build.  I would remove the hand guard.  Remove the gas block and tube.  Make sure the gas post in the barrel is open.  Could be an obstruction from milling.  Make sure the gas tube is positioned correctly over the gas hole.  Carefully, remount the gas block and tube.  Use compressed air to make sure there is good air flow.  Make sure the gas tube is straight with the BCG.  If it is bent even slightly it could drag.  Lube it up good and see if it is corrected.  Watch ejection for proper ejection angles.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:10:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I just helped out a friend who was having similar issues with a 10.5....

I discovered that even by hand, I could not pull the BCG back far enough for the bolt catch to engage the face of the bolt, it was catching on the bottom of the carrier....

I was perplexed, and thought maybe rifle spring with a carbine extension...

Anyway, turned out that the PTAC receiver extension was too short internally (although correct dimensions externally).

Almost 3/8" extra material inside the back of the tube..

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top