Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/21/2016 9:49:24 PM EDT
Took a self-build to the range for the first time, and in 100 rounds, it ran flawlessly on two P-mags, but i had a few FTF issues on a third mag. Pulled the trigger... and "click," no boom since a round didn't get chambered.  So I pulled the charging handle, dropped it, and it still didn't feed a round. Eject mag, re-insert, pull charging handle, and everything is fine.  After a couple shots, rinse and repeat the whole process. Is it a mag problem? And is there any remedy?

Ammo was American Eagle FMJ 55 gr. Rifle details: Faxon Gunner 16" mid-length barrel, BCM upper, Spikes BCG, Spikes ST-T2 buffer, Magpul 30-rd window p-mags.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:42:33 AM EDT
[#1]
After you determined it was that magazine, did you try the first two again?  I would take the magazine apart and clean it, and make sure it doesn't have excessive flashing anywhere.  Try it in another rifle.  If it is problematic in another rifle, I would contact MAGPUL.  I say try the other two again because your problem may simply have started as you got to the third magazine worth of ammo.  It may have nothing to do with the third magazine.

You can also try adjusting the tension on the magazine catch by screwing or unscrewing it a turn or two and see if that helps.

I would also try a standard buffer.  Mid-lengths don't need a heavy buffer.  It may work fine once the rifle starts breaking in, but it may be causing problems now.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 8:43:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:28:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
After you determined it was that magazine, did you try the first two again?  I would take the magazine apart and clean it, and make sure it doesn't have excessive flashing anywhere.  Try it in another rifle.  If it is problematic in another rifle, I would contact MAGPUL.  I say try the other two again because your problem may simply have started as you got to the third magazine worth of ammo.  It may have nothing to do with the third magazine.

You can also try adjusting the tension on the magazine catch by screwing or unscrewing it a turn or two and see if that helps.

I would also try a standard buffer.  Mid-lengths don't need a heavy buffer.  It may work fine once the rifle starts breaking in, but it may be causing problems now.
View Quote
That's a great question. Indeed, I did return to the mags that were working fine, and the problem didn't resurface (but it was just a few more shots, 10?).

Thanks for the advice. I'll try it all. And return to standard buffer.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:31:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The description implies its the magazine, but worth investigating if the weapon is short-stroking.

Was the failure to feed a bolt-override (meaning the carrier was picking up the round, not the bolt face)?
View Quote

I wish I could answer, but I don't understand the question.  When I released the charging handle, it simply failed altogether to pick up a round. Rounds were just untouched. How is that even possible??  :(
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:44:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I wish I could answer, but I don't understand the question.  When I released the charging handle, it simply failed altogether to pick up a round. Rounds were just untouched. How is that even possible??  :(
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The description implies its the magazine, but worth investigating if the weapon is short-stroking.

Was the failure to feed a bolt-override (meaning the carrier was picking up the round, not the bolt face)?

If something is causing the follower or rounds to bind in the magazine body, the top round would not be high enough for the bolt to strip it off the top.  But, if you did not pull the carrier all the way back, the same thing would happen.  If you locked the bolt all the way back, and made sure the it was locked on the bolt face and not the carrier face, then I would not believe that to be the case.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If something is causing the follower or rounds to bind in the magazine body, the top round would not be high enough for the bolt to strip it off the top.  But, if you did not pull the carrier all the way back, the same thing would happen.  If you locked the bolt all the way back, and made sure the it was locked on the bolt face and not the carrier face, then I would not believe that to be the case.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aha. Now I get it.  I'm confident I pulled the charging handle all the way back, but I'll remember that going forward. Your explanation about something binding inside the mag body fits the symptoms, so I'll have to do some more testing on this.  Thanks so much!
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:57:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Saw a guy have that same problem at a club match recently, after third try with charging handle, the mag fell to the ground, it wasn't fully seated to begin with.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:44:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Saw a guy have that same problem at a club match recently, after third try with charging handle, the mag fell to the ground, it wasn't fully seated to begin with.
View Quote

That's probably the most common cause of this, though maybe not in OPs case. Why I down load GIs to 28 and use a solid push/pull method.

I have some Thermold mags that do something similar now and again.

I'm leaning toward too heavy a buffer and weak ammo with maybe a weak mag spring contributing.

Lube the shit out of it, use a single known good magazine, swap your current setup for a standard carbine buffer and spring and try a few hundred 5.56 pressure rounds. I think that'll fix it. The parts used are solid.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:17:32 PM EDT
[#9]
More good comments; thanks.  I'll try to get to the range asap, try the suggestions, and report back.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:58:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top