Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/21/2016 4:56:58 PM EDT
Just bought a DDM4V7, and I noticed that the handguard swerves upward in relation to the receiver.
Easiest way to spot it is by flipping the rifle upside down, and sitting it on a flat surface.
There is about a 1/16 inch gap in the middle of the so called "swayback".
Is this a problem, or am I just being picky?
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 5:02:04 PM EDT
[#1]
1/16" is kinda large.  I would be unhappy on an expensive rifle and probably wouldn't care on a cheap rifle.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 5:15:04 PM EDT
[#2]
can probably tighten the bottom retaining bolts slightly to correct it
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 1:04:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 1:26:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Or... Maybe. Some one finishing up the build rushed a bit and tightened the Handguard without making sure it was seated fully against/into the barrel nut/Handguard retention...? Break the Handguard loose. Reseat it up against the nut/retention..etc and re fasten. If it still out then contact them. Or just contact them and get them to do it...? But it might be an easy fix..?
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:08:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm with Dano on this.

I once saw a sign that read:

Repair cost $5
If you watch $7
If you tried to fix it yourself $35

If it came from the factory like that I would send it to them and get them to do it, warranties, experience, and all.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:12:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1/16" is kinda large.  I would be unhappy on an expensive rifle and probably wouldn't care on a cheap rifle.
View Quote

Well, 1/16 th may of been an exaggeration.
I checked the rifle again, and while there is a gap, a dime will not slide under it.
It is about half the thickness of a dime.
The gun shoots great, but I have not mounted anything on the handguard.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:48:52 PM EDT
[#7]
One thing you pay for in the cost of a free-float hand guard is the engineering and manufacturing skill that results in a level and accurately-aligned receiver and hand guard rail. Apparently, you didn't get that, so yeah - send it back home, let the makers figure it out.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 6:05:10 PM EDT
[#8]
This sucks.
I sent DD pics of it, and they want the rifle back for inspection.
I guess I'll hold off buying a new optic and BUIS until I see how this is going to go.
Anyone dealt with their service?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:46:10 PM EDT
[#9]
It's probably a miss tightening of the bolts.  Great that Daniel Defense wants to inspect.  A good learning opportunity for them.  Please let us know the outcome.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top