Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/28/2016 9:14:33 PM EDT
I got a new BCM 14.5 midlenght build. Upper, lower and BCG are all BCM. I had an issue where the spent round would not eject after firing and a new live round would get jammed underneath the spent case still in the chamber. At first I thought it was my new hexmags. The issue was happening almost everytime I used those mags, not the pmags. I took the rifle to the range again today and with a hundred rounds fired I had the same issue twice with pmags. Possible the issue today with the pmags was just a random fluke ? Or might there be an issue with the rifle ? I'm  hoping it's just those hexmags. And inwas using Wolf Gold and Federal XM855.

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 9:46:22 PM EDT
[#1]
You didn't mention anything about cleaning. The rifle should be good out of the box, but it's always good to give everything a good cleaning to start off with. Pay specific attention to the extractor and the extractor spring.

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=543926

Is the extractor ripping up the rims on the brass? How stuck is the brass? Easy to clear with the charging handle or are you having to slam the rifle down?
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 9:57:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I did give it a good cleaning before shooting it today. I so tried a hexmag again today just to experiment and sure enough i had an extraction failure after the first shot. But with the pmags, only happened twice in about 100 rounds... And it only took a few seconds to clear, wasn't a real issue in that sense.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:06:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you have any other ARs, specifically bolts or complete BCGs to try?
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:17:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you have any other ARs, specifically bolts or complete BCGs to try?
View Quote

I do, yes.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:15:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Mix and match the BCG, the Bolt, the buffer assembly, and the lower.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:38:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:41:58 PM EDT
[#7]
The empty shell casing remains in the chamber and a new round bets partially inserted underneath the spent round. When it happened, i just took out the mag, pulled the bolt back and the rounds basically just fell out so no problem there. I took apart the BCG today and it seems fine. I put some EWL on it and will try shooting it again maybe tonight or tomorrow morning.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:23:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 3:09:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks. I'm  heading off to the range soon. I should have more info and pics if need be later.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 5:02:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Just got done shooting my rifle again and leaving the range... Fired a few pmags with no issue, and then it happened again. Spent shell partially out of the chamber with new shell underneath it. I take out the mag, rack bolt back and jam is easily cleared. I try a hexmag just tk experiment and sure enough same issue arises on first trigger pull. Although when this happens with a hexmag it takes a little more effort to unjam. I then swap put BCG's with a proven one. I shot pmags and some hexmags with zero issues. I also shot that BCG in a different rifle and ZERO issues. Maybe i should just call Bravo Company? Maybe they can just replace my BCG ? For the amount of money I spent on their rifle i shouldn't have to be spending all this time and effort troubleshooting...
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:02:56 PM EDT
[#11]
You should email BCM.  They will probably take it back.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:08:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Good. Call them tomorrow and they'll take care of it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:11:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Does their BCG come with the black o-ring?  If so, remove that shit.  It seems to be more trouble than it's worth.....  My personal experience.  The only time I ever had trouble with FTE was with the o-ring on a new BCG.  Removed it and didn't have any more FTE.  Other issues, but not that one at least.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 8:18:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Does their BCG come with the black o-ring?  If so, remove that shit.  It seems to be more trouble than it's worth.....  My personal experience.  The only time I ever had trouble with FTE was with the o-ring on a new BCG.  Removed it and didn't have any more FTE.  Other issues, but not that one at least.
View Quote

Just checked. No O ring...
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 8:35:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

The O ring is there to stiffen up the extractor strength to assist in extraction.

An O ring or a stiffer extractor spring would likely fix the OP's problem.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 11:08:06 AM EDT
[#16]
I called BCM but it seems they don't do phone calls so I sent them an email. Will see what they say...
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 12:10:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 1:52:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The O ring is there to stiffen up the extractor strength to assist in extraction.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OR the o-ring can create too much tension making the extracter harder to open up and grab the casing.  It can go both ways.  In my case, it was the opposite of what it was intended to do.

Maybe an o-ring will be the solution to the OP, since his doesn't come with one.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 2:11:42 PM EDT
[#19]
When the malfunction happens every few magazines with the pmags the spent casing and new live round are both fine and the malfunction is cleared in seconds. When using a hexmag, the issue happens every time and I do get a dented spent casing and takes a few extra seconds to get unjammed. I had this issue from the very start when the BCG and upper were as clean as they would ever be from the factory. Still waiting on BCM to get back to me.  Here's  a pic from a failure with a hexmag yesterday...

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 7:41:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 1:23:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 1:45:42 PM EDT
[#22]
This is the one photo I already had on my phone. So this is all I have for right now. BCM replied back to my email yesterday with a few questions of their own and now nothing yet today. Too bad I just couldn't talk to them on the phone...

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 3:10:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 3:31:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks. I'll  get some other pics posted as soon as I have a chance to take them.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 8:37:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Again, need to the see the areas that I showed above in my post on your extractor, bolt, and chamber. Hence you can drop on a #60 O ring (about a dime at any hardware store) around the extractor spring to band aid the problem and that may work, but best to just solve the problem without have to band-aid in the first place isntead

Short of that, just box the rig up, and send it to BCM to check out isntead.
View Quote

I have not had a chance to even open my safe since last week to take pics but do have one little update. After BCM replied to my intial email last Thursday i have heard nothing from them. I emailed them several times and even triedcalling. Is BCM customer service really that bad ??
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 8:12:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Heavier buffer tried in fixing FTEs:
We had extraction issues in a cleaned Midlength with clean bolt/o-ringed extractor only 20 rounds into a session  with reliable IMI  M193. After tapping out a stuck, fully seated empty casing we ran some more rounds through and after looking at the dinged up brass walls and nicked case rim we gave a heavier Buffer a try and that helped all following extractions and stopped the "spinning ejected brass"/dinged cases.

The thought was to slow the Bolt down and it worked for us in clearing the spent casings.
Our guess was that the recoil impulse was too fast, and the rear portion of the ejection port doing the clearing of the empty off the bolt as well and dinging it up and spinning ejected cases.

Tried some of those crazy Ramrodz, .223 bamboo q-tips, to remove the carbon ring at the neck of the chamber, just in case, as well and zero problems the rest of the day.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 4:51:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Here are a few more pictures I just took. Maybe it might help. I should also mention that I have since shot several hundred more rounds out of this BCM rifle with an older BCG I have with multiple different magazines and had ZERO issues. I have not heard back from BCM about this issue in almost 2 weeks now in spite of my multiple emails to them. I  tried calling them as well but it seems they do not take phone calls.

Link Posted: 7/12/2016 5:38:44 PM EDT
[#29]
When they replied and you answered their questions, what were the questions and what were your answers?

You state you are running the BCM upper with another BCG and it runs fine.  Have you tried the BCM BCG in another upper and experienced problems?  Is there noticeable drag when you place the BCG in the upper?  A while back, I had bought three or four BCM BCGs and when I was installing them in my uppers, one of them would not slide freely.  I had to play musical chairs with the carriers and uppers, so they all slid easily.  I bet had I forced the carrier in that original upper, and tried firing that way, I would have experienced malfunctions.  I also bet they would have cleared up with some wear, but that is besides the point.

Granted, it may just be dirty, but I am wondering why your chamber does not appear to be chromed.  Between an unchromed chamber and a tight new BCG, I could see that being the problem.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 6:51:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 7:02:06 PM EDT
[#31]
I was using that Slip EWL 200 on the rifle. Probably shot maybe 200 rounds since I cleaned it. Purchased it brand new last month and maybe has 400 rounds at the most out of it already. Most of the questions they were asking me in the one email from them seemed pretty general and basic. Only question they asked they seemed noteworthy was asking what time of buffer tube I had. Told them I have no idea, but it's whatever comes stock in a BCM lower.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 7:03:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Also, the upper was covered in some sort of oil/grease when I got it. Maybe you noticed some remnants of it in the picture.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#33]
I didn't think BCM made non chromed barrels/chambers.

OP I'd be a little irritated honestly. It's not like you are dropping a BCM bolt in a shitty upper. This is a factory built rifle and any issues should've been diagnosed and squared away during test firing.

I agree with above to try the bolt in a different upper, though the fact you have to is pretty silly to me. I don't expect home builds to be perfect right away, but a factory BCM rifle? Lubed and using 5.56 brass? Ridiculous.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 3:23:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I didn't think BCM made non chromed barrels/chambers.

OP I'd be a little irritated honestly. It's not like you are dropping a BCM bolt in a shitty upper. This is a factory built rifle and any issues should've been diagnosed and squared away during test firing.

I agree with above to try the bolt in a different upper, though the fact you have to is pretty silly to me. I don't expect home builds to be perfect right away, but a factory BCM rifle? Lubed and using 5.56 brass? Ridiculous.
View Quote

Thanks to one of the mods here in the forums who got in touch with BCM, I finally made contact with them. They mailed me out a new BCG group overnight and will have it tomorrow. They also sent me a pretty paid shipping label to mail back the old BCG. I'm happy now :)
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 3:57:33 PM EDT
[#35]
I did see that in the other thread, Good on them. Sounded like some email server issue or something.  

Glad it's fixed.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 4:48:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:04:13 AM EDT
[#37]
A little late but I have an update on my rifle.

Last week Bravo Company sent me a new BCG group via overnight delivery. It was a BCG that was test fired and proven to work correctly. I went to the range fired about 70 + rounds out of the rifle with the new BCG with zero issues. I also put the old BCG in a different rifle and as I figured I got a FTE on the first round with one of my hex mags. I was about to conclude my problem resolved but I decided to shoot the rest of my ammo I had with me. I shot another 80 some rounds and I got two failure to extracts, just like I did with the old BCG. Spent round would be half ejected with the live round underneath. I reloaded one of the mags I had the issue with, and it shot fine. I even proceeded to do a mag dump, and again no problem.

I did another full cleaning of the rifle, including a full cleaning of the new BCG which I did not do when I received it.  Chamber was cleaned fully with Break Free CLP and a chamber brush. I took it to the range last night and fired 100 rounds with zero issues. Once again I thought my issue was over with but I decided to shoot a little more to be sure. Upon shooting an additional 50 rounds I once again got two FTE's. Is it just a coincidence that this issue only seems to come up now once I get a number of rounds down range ? And all the ammo I have shot out of this mid length 14.5 is Wolf Gold .223. And I'm using Slip 2000 ELW as my lubrication
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 7:13:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Sorry to hear about your troubles.  I have a BCM lower with A5 extension and A5-1 buffer (heavier than stock) which is mated to a BCM 16" ELW upper.  After cleaning and zeroing, I took it straight to a rifle class and it ran great with 350 rounds of Wolf WPA steel .223.  I was really surprised as I didn't expect it to run reliably with steel-cased ammo and even brought some Wolf Gold just in case the WPA didn't work.

It seems to me that you have two options, either return the complete upper for BCM to troubleshoot or diagnose the problem yourself then provide BCM the information.  The risk with returning to BCM is that they may not be able to reproduce the problem and end up concluding no trouble found.

You didn't mention if you were getting proper cycling, is the bolt locking back on empty mags for the ammo that you're having extraction/ejection issues with?  I think that the BCM 14.5" mid-length gas port is sized for 5.56 or full-power ammo.  The BCM Comp muzzle device is supposed to increase barrel pressure slightly more than an A2 birdcage and give more reliable cycling.  Next, check your lower and confirm your buffer is the proper weight by looking for the "H" mark or you could weigh the buffer.

Assuming you have sufficient bolt velocity and the case isn't getting stuck in the chamber, then maybe it's time to check the extractor and ejector tension as well as look for burrs or any extractor marks on the fire case rim.  That might give you additional info as to what the problem is.

I'm inclined to think that you're not getting enough bolt velocity with the 14.5" mid-length since the new BCG from BCM is still having similar issues.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top