Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2016 1:11:11 AM EDT
So I finished my first build the other day and got everything put together and took it the range. I am still very much a noob to the ar platform but have been shooting other rifles for a while. When i loaded the first mag and chambered a round everything was fine. I was able to get through 5  rounds and the bolt and charging handle got severely jammed in battery. I was able to get the handle and bolt unstuck and get the live round cleared. Then I loaded another mag and about 5-6 rounds into that mag the same thing occurs but once again with some cussing and force was able to get the rifle cleared. I inspected the handle and bolt an everything seems to fine nothing bent or broken. but the handle did have some wear which I think ma have occurred trying to get it unstuck. On the third time and then on the rifle functioned perfectly and I was able to run about another 200 rounds through the rifle without any problems. All of the ammo shoot was 223 brass. I do have some concerns with the rifle at the moment but at this point I think it been user error of some sort maybe under lubrication or something. I would like to avoid this problem in the future and if it something I did hopefully I can learn from it. I don't think this is a common problem but maybe I am wrong. Maybe the parts were a little out of spec and wore in from then on. I have a PSA upper and lower, PSA nickel born BCG, and a BCM mod 4 charging handle. Any help or suggestions is welcomed and thanks in advance I know there is tons of knowledgeable people on this site.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 1:23:29 AM EDT
[#1]
1) Don't chamber live rounds outside the range and expect them to cycle - very different things occur dry cycling versus firing.

2) See No. 1

If you go to the range and see problems, come back to us, but not before a couple hundred rounds.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 1:29:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like the charging handle needs some lube along with the bcg. And as said above your going o have to break it in somewhat to get it smoothed out.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 1:34:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1) Don't chamber live rounds outside the range and expect them to cycle - very different things occur dry cycling versus firing.

2) See No. 1

If you go to the range and see problems, come back to us, but not before a couple hundred rounds.
View Quote

All of these problems occurred at the range while firing the rifle at the range. I wasn't dry cycling ammo home like i said this happened at the range sorry for the confusion.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 1:37:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sounds like the charging handle needs some lube along with the bcg. And as said above your going o have to break it in somewhat to get it smoothed out.
View Quote

That was kinda my first thought maybe it was under lubed. but is this normal for this to happen? i got only 250 rounds through it so far and like i said towards the end it worked flawlessly. I know its not alot of rounds with all things considered.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 3:45:29 AM EDT
[#5]
This is factory ammo and not reloads, right?
And yes, your bolt carrier group and charging handle should be quite wet with lube

Also - welcome to ARFcom!

(ps...the enlarged font is distracting)

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:44:17 AM EDT
[#6]
What kind of barrel and chamber?

What kind of ammo?
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 11:23:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This is factory ammo and not reloads, right?

And yes, your bolt carrier group and charging handle should be quite wet with lube

Also - welcome to ARFcom!

(ps...the enlarged font is distracting)

View Quote

yes factory ammo no reloads. just federal 223 and thank you
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 11:25:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What kind of barrel and chamber?

What kind of ammo?
View Quote

federal 223 brass cased ammo, melonite barrel , m4 feed ramps and its 5.56 chamber
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top