Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/14/2016 12:29:30 PM EDT
So, I'm sure this problem is not "unique" but it definitely doesn't seem to be common.  My bolt catch, when shooting suppressed, is actually locking the bolt open with ammo still in the magazine.  Happens about 2 to 3 times per mag.  There is a BAD lever on the catch and it's a mid length gas system. It doenst have the problem when shooting unsuppressed.  I'm thinking a stronger spring for the catch may fix the problem.  Anyone have any other suggestions?  Also, I need suggestions for a strong catch spring.  Cant really find one labeled "stronger" or anything like that. Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 1:10:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you have an adjustable gas block?
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 4:24:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So, I'm sure this problem is not "unique" but it definitely doesn't seem to be common.  My bolt catch, when shooting suppressed, is actually locking the bolt open with ammo still in the magazine.  Happens about 2 to 3 times per mag.  There is a BAD lever on the catch and it's a mid length gas system. It doenst have the problem when shooting unsuppressed.  I'm thinking a stronger spring for the catch may fix the problem.  Anyone have any other suggestions?  Also, I need suggestions for a strong catch spring.  Cant really find one labeled "stronger" or anything like that. Thanks in advance!
View Quote

Try with it removed.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Weird. Normal function is for the magazine follower on an empty magazine to elevate the bolt release and catch the bolt.
If it's happening with rounds in the magazine then something else is clearly happening.  
Does the bolt release move freely?
Are you perhaps tapping it (BAD) when shooting, unintentionally applying upward pressure?
Is the bolt actually catching on the release or is it snagging on something in the trigger/disco assembly?
If the spring is too weak it could jiggle up and apply itself.  I don't know of a extra strong spring, although they might exist, but I would be thinking that if your spring is weak a normal strength one might be a fix.  I have heard of springs on the weak side of functioning that simple replacement fixed.
You could also remove the BAD lever and see if the problem fixes.
Good Luck
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 9:53:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I do not have an adjustable gas block.  

Thanks for the feedback.  Right in line with my thinking.  Going to try to replace the spring then i may remove the BAD if it keeps happening, but I don't want to do that.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 6:44:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I have never used a BAD lever, myself, because it interferes with my use of an ambi mag release. Personally, I would try removing that, or at a minimum, making a close examination of it's relation to the bolt release button and the receiver. Especially if your upper is of a thicker, beefier construction. Make sure that the part of the BAD that attaches to the bolt release side of the catch isn't pressed against the receiver. Also look in through the ejection port (remove the magazine and you're have to manually hold the bolt to the rear or remove it) and ensure that the tab on the bolt catch that gets pushed up by the magazine is fully resting against the receiver. If the part of the BAD lever that wraps around the bolt release button touches the upper receiver to the point where the catch is elevated off the receiver, then only the slightest jar from recoil can raise it enough to catch the bolt as it comes forward. Especially, when the energy of that recoil shock is amplified by the extra mass of the lever wrapping around the receiver and the dwell time of the carrier in the reward position is increased due to use of the suppressor.

Certainly, a stronger spring could resolve this, as the original spring, and "stock' specification for it, is intended to move or hold against the mass of a mil-spec part. Adding the extra mass of the BAD lever changes this balance of force. Likewise, changing to a strong spring can offset the balance of power between it and the magazine spring to be able to raise the bolt catch fast enough to stop the bolt when the mag runs empty. Just something to consider, since you're attempting to find a stronger spring.

It may be that your current spring is weakened and a replacement will fix the problem, but I would definitely take a hard look at the BAD lever, first.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:41:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I've never had an issue with a bad lever, a lot of people bash them though.

My question is are you slapping the trigger?

If you are taking your finger of and moVing it forward, you might be operating it.

Take a small piece of paper and put it in between your finger and the trigger.  Try to keep it there.  If you can go the whole magazine without a malfunction and keep the paper on the trigger you know what the issue is.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:03:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've never had an issue with a bad lever, a lot of people bash them though.

My question is are you slapping the trigger?

If you are taking your finger of and moVing it forward, you might be operating it.

Take a small piece of paper and put it in between your finger and the trigger.  Try to keep it there.  If you can go the whole magazine without a malfunction and keep the paper on the trigger you know what the issue is.
View Quote

To me this seems to be the most believable culprit.
Do other people shooting the rifle experience the same thing you do?
Take the BAD off and run a mag through it.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top