Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/17/2016 8:36:22 PM EDT
AR-10 built in .338 Federal, DPMS upper and barrel.  Pretty consistently, when a round tries to feed from the right side of the magazine, it winds up with the round jammed  with the base of the cartridge on top of the bolt face on the right side,

which jams the cartridge against the right side of the chamber.

Feeds perfectly from the left side of a magazine, and it happens with every mag I've tried.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 11:40:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you put it on a different lower to see if it is the lower or upper?
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 2:18:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Check to see if the chamber mouth has a sharp edge that may be scraping the round as it tries to chamber. The chamber mouth should have a smooth chamfer. Does the brass have any drag marks on the right side when it jams?
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 11:08:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Going to see if I can borrow a different lower to try.

And I've been over every bit of the chamber mouth, no sharp edges or corners anywhere.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 11:24:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 11:28:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Tried a different lower I was able to borrow(complete) with the same result, so unless the mag catch has the same difficulty with both, not that.  Though would've made sense.

Thanks for the suggestions, once I can get all the stuff I have to do done, I'll work on this some more.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:10:23 PM EDT
[#7]
So far, nothing I've tried worked.  However, talked to a guy who had a very similar problem with a .308; turned out his chamber was a bit tight.  I'll have to get the barrel & bolt to someone who can check that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:10:42 AM EDT
[#8]
To expand on Dano's angle of attack concern: Do you have a .308 upper to compare the feed ramps to?

I'm curious if those on the .338 have been opened up at all to accommodate the larger bullet, or if they're just using the same .308 barrel extension. You may also want to try different ammo loadings, if you haven't already. A different ogive profile on the bullet might make a difference, here. Different bullet weight, or even similar weights from different product lines, will have a different curve to them.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 1:26:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Is the front of the extractor polished?  You may also have too much spring or an O-ring that's not compressing (to allow the lip of the extractor to snap-over and catch on the extractor groove of the case).
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 11:28:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is the front of the extractor polished?  You may also have too much spring or an O-ring that's not compressing (to allow the lip of the extractor to snap-over and catch on the extractor groove of the case).
View Quote

I had a PSA bolt in 5.56 that would not snap onto the groove and malfunction in a way that looked a lot like OPs picture. Definitely possible. I believe a BCM extractor spring and removing the O ring fixed it.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top