Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/1/2016 1:07:49 AM EDT
6.5 Grendel.  VLTOR upper.   Spikes BCG.  Maxim Firearms bolt.

Was out shooting Saturday.  Fired 2 rounds fine.  3rd round fired, but bolt did not unlock.  Fired case still stuck in chamber.

I mortared it.  HARD.  I know how to effectively mortar out a stuck case.  This is not the situation.  Something else is going on.

Took the rifle home, I took the lower off and I am able to pry the bcg back right near the bolt face about 1/8", to where the bolt should begin to rotate.  It's not.  I can see that the lugs are 'lined up' with the lugs in the receiver extension.  I actually bent a fairly beefy screwdriver trying to pry it out.  

At this point, I'm thinking broken lug or something blocking the rotation of the bolt.  What the heck do I do now?  It WON'T move.

UPDATE:

Got it out.  Had to pull the muzzle brake/suppressor mount, gas block, JP tube, take off the barrel nut.  Then I was able to just get the barrel out of the upper past the index pin.  Put the brake back on and used it and a muzzle device wrench to crank the barrel just a little to get the bolt to release.

Behold the carnage:

It looks like 1 lug broke on the previous shot (it was not in the barrel extension and I know it didn't fall anywhere, I was purposely working in a very clean area) as I only recovered 3 of the 4 missing lugs.

I would estimate that bolt has about 600 rds fired.  This is the 3rd bolt I've broken in this rifle (previously I noticed cracks or a single missing lug) all at around 750-1000 rds.  It never broke bolts before I started using a suppressor on it, so I'm guessing the backpressure is all screwed up or something and the bolt is being driven backwards before it's ready?.  It has a JP adjustable block that's turned way down, but every once in a while I'll notice the set screw has backed out and the gun is overgassed.  For reference, I fired close to 3k through it with the original bolt, put the suppressor on, and it broke within ~750 rds.  

I guess I need to look for a different gas block that has positive settings and does not allow the screw to just randomly back out.

(oh and for the record, I know it looks filthy.  I cleaned the entire gun, bolt and carrier were spotless less than 50 rds ago.  I think alot of the gunk is the oil I was squirting in there trying to make something happen)
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 1:37:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Remove gas block, pull gas tube, unscrew bbl nut....

Profit?
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 1:52:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Remove gas block, pull gas tube, unscrew bbl nut....

Profit?
View Quote

And then what (although that was next course of action. )?

If it's locked up this tight, how am I going to rotate the barrel?  I don't know if I'll be able to pull the barrel out of the receiver past the index pin to allow it rotate?
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 2:11:26 AM EDT
[#3]
keep mortaring or try a punch and hammer to drive the bcg back maybe?

reloads?  May have popped a primer.

check headspace?  chamber might be too tight and the pressure on the bolt is holding it tight against the locking lugs?
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 2:43:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If it's locked up this tight, how am I going to rotate the barrel?  I don't know if I'll be able to pull the barrel out of the receiver past the index pin to allow it rotate?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Remove gas block, pull gas tube, unscrew bbl nut....

Profit?

Ummm, if you can't get it out doing that, you could drill the index pin out, and unscrew the bbl from the bbl extension.

Does a cleaning rod go all the way down to the chamber?
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 2:46:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
keep mortaring or try a punch and hammer to drive the bcg back maybe?

reloads?  May have popped a primer.

check headspace?  chamber might be too tight and the pressure on the bolt is holding it tight against the locking lugs?
View Quote

Factory ammo.  This rifle has broken bolts before, with a suppressor it's just too much backpressure and eventually shears a lug.  I think this it what happened here.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 2:47:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Ummm, if you can't get it out doing that, you could drill the index pin out, and unscrew the bbl from the bbl extension.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Profit?

Yeah, then what?  LOL.  Still have the bcg and bolt locked into the upper.

Yes, a cleaning rod reached all the way down.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 5:10:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Profit?

If you drill out the index pin, then you can turn the bbl extension loose from the bolt.  That's going to extremes, but the bbl could still be put back together w/ the original bbl extension.

ETA:  once the bbl extension is removed, the bolt should be able to rotate, and the bolt carrier should be able to be removed.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 3:24:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Well?
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 1:52:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well?
View Quote

Busy at work and was there til 1130 last night doing taxes.  Maybe I'll have time tonight!
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 3:11:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Busy at work and was there til 1130 last night doing taxes.  Maybe I'll have time tonight!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well?

Keep us posted.

Interested to see what was the cause.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 4:02:55 PM EDT
[#11]
You could always send it to Adco, in case you didn't think of that.  They can even send it back shorter.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:30:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Keep us posted.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well?

Keep us posted.

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:10:33 AM EDT
[#13]
wow... just, wow...
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:12:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Holy cow. I'd never heard of maxim firearms until this thread. Do you think it's a manufacturer problem or its that seriously overgassed?
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:14:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Holy cow. I'd never heard of maxim firearms until this thread. Do you think it's a manufacturer problem or its that seriously overgassed?
View Quote

Maxim bolts are what most Grendel guys consider the Tier 1 bolt.  Pretty much the best you can get.

I'm going with overgassing, or it's even possible that something is out of square on the receiver face.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:39:26 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm going w/ over gassed, particularly as the problem started after you added the suppressor.  Carbine or mid-gas?

Glad you got it apart, and glad those remaining lugs held.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 3:01:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm going w/ over gassed, particularly as the problem started after you added the suppressor.  Carbine or mid-gas?

View Quote

Carbine gas.  16" Black Hole Weaponry barrel.

Any suggestions on an adjustable gas block?
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 3:02:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's that one that has 3 settings, kinda a slider that they drill @ the factory?
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 8:06:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Was out shooting Saturday.  Fired 2 rounds fine.  3rd round fired, but bolt did not unlock.  Fired case still stuck in chamber.

I mortared it.  HARD.  I know how to effectively mortar out a stuck case.  This is not the situation.  Something else is going on.

Took the rifle home, I took the lower off and I am able to pry the bcg back right near the bolt face about 1/8", to where the bolt should begin to rotate.  It's not.  I can see that the lugs are 'lined up' with the lugs in the receiver extension.  I actually bent a fairly beefy screwdriver trying to pry it out.  

At this point, I'm thinking broken lug or something blocking the rotation of the bolt.  What the heck do I do now?  It WON'T move.

UPDATE:

Got it out.  Had to pull the muzzle brake/suppressor mount, gas block, JP tube, take off the barrel nut.  Then I was able to just get the barrel out of the upper past the index pin.  Put the brake back on and used it and a muzzle device wrench to crank the barrel just a little to get the bolt to release.

Behold the carnage: [images]

It looks like 1 lug broke on the previous shot (it was not in the barrel extension and I know it didn't fall anywhere, I was purposely working in a very clean area) as I only recovered 3 of the 4 missing lugs.

I would estimate that bolt has about 600 rds fired.  This is the 3rd bolt I've broken in this rifle (previously I noticed cracks or a single missing lug) all at around 750-1000 rds.  It never broke bolts before I started using a suppressor on it, so I'm guessing the backpressure is all screwed up or something and the bolt is being driven backwards before it's ready?.  It has a JP adjustable block that's turned way down, but every once in a while I'll notice the set screw has backed out and the gun is overgassed.  For reference, I fired close to 3k through it with the original bolt, put the suppressor on, and it broke within ~750 rds.  

I guess I need to look for a different gas block that has positive settings and does not allow the screw to just randomly back out.

(oh and for the record, I know it looks filthy.  I cleaned the entire gun, bolt and carrier were spotless less than 50 rds ago.  I think alot of the gunk is the oil I was squirting in there trying to make something happen)
View Quote

So, you are loosing a bolt approximately every 750 rounds?

Hand loads or factory?

You might what to back down on the chamber pressure a tad.

This less of an "over-gassed" problem and more of a "over-loaded bolt" problem.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:37:38 AM EDT
[#20]
good deal, glad you got the bolt out! fwiw, i squared up my receiver when i built the gun and check the bolt lugs from time to time when cleaning and noticed they seem to be wearing evenly from mating up with the barrel extension lugs. if your bolt lugs aren't mating up evenly with those in the extension it might cause some lugs to be overpressured and give way. just thinking!

Bruce
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:04:39 AM EDT
[#21]
front fell off
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 3:00:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Hand loads or factory?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

UPDATE:

Behold the carnage: [images]

Hand loads or factory?

Factory ammo.  Fired 3000 rounds before the suppressor with no issues.  Add suppressor:  Bolt Breakage.  

If it was chamber pressure, why no issues without the suppressor?
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 7:14:15 PM EDT
[#24]
OST
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 7:41:29 PM EDT
[#25]
OP, this is what I was thinking of:

http://micromoa.com/govnah-gas-blocks/

It gives you up to 3 positions of gas, on a sliding plate.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 8:46:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:02:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That's the glitch, hence the suppressor is not going to increase working pressure of the rounds, but will increase the back pressure in the bore/increase the gas port pressure, which means that the bolt is starting to unlock sooner with the higher residual bore pressures on the spent case and bolt lugs isntead.

So the bolt support walls where already under a strain from the actual working pressure of the round being fired at working pressures, and it was just the bolt cam'g/unlocking sooner with higher bore residual pressures that was enough added force to the bolt lugs against the barrel extension lugs (as the bolt started to spin to unlock), to shear the bolt lugs off the bolt isntead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Factory ammo.  Fired 3000 rounds before the suppressor with no issues.  Add suppressor:  Bolt Breakage.  

That's the glitch, hence the suppressor is not going to increase working pressure of the rounds, but will increase the back pressure in the bore/increase the gas port pressure, which means that the bolt is starting to unlock sooner with the higher residual bore pressures on the spent case and bolt lugs isntead.

So the bolt support walls where already under a strain from the actual working pressure of the round being fired at working pressures, and it was just the bolt cam'g/unlocking sooner with higher bore residual pressures that was enough added force to the bolt lugs against the barrel extension lugs (as the bolt started to spin to unlock), to shear the bolt lugs off the bolt isntead.

So with all that said would a good adjustable gas block mitigate some of this?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:26:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

A suppressor changes the shape of the P-T curve.  While the peak pressure will not change the blow-down pressure will, giving a higher average pressure.

Backing down the chamber pressure will reduce the overall stress on the bolt.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:20:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:25:25 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
An adjustable gas block is one way to go to reduce the dwell down the tube to bring the bolt unlock back to normal, but so will increasing the mass/weight of the buffer (and even adding weight to the carrier) slow down the bolt unlock to normal timing as well.

Trust be told, since not many adjustable gas block have quick repeat settings, it just easy and faster to change out out the buffer (or add/pull the carrier weight) from when shooting suppressed or not instead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

An adjustable gas block is one way to go to reduce the dwell down the tube to bring the bolt unlock back to normal, but so will increasing the mass/weight of the buffer (and even adding weight to the carrier) slow down the bolt unlock to normal timing as well.

Trust be told, since not many adjustable gas block have quick repeat settings, it just easy and faster to change out out the buffer (or add/pull the carrier weight) from when shooting suppressed or not instead.
I really like the govnah design with the restrictor plate you can drill your own ports in.  Easy to swap between a suppressed and unsuppressed setting.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:19:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On this rifle, I only ever shoot it suppressed anymore.  Perhaps changing buffer weight (it currently has an H1 buffer) along with a new gas block?  The JP just won't hold its setting. Even driving to the range with the rifle in a case, the set screw backs out MANY turns.  That's why I'm wondering what kind of GB you guys are using that actually KEEPS the setting you want.

If I were to change buffers, would I go heavier?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:19:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top