Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/24/2015 10:43:38 PM EDT
It appears that the roll pin on the extractor has walked out.
I can't drive it back in since it was bent when the bolt attempted to go into battery.
My issue is the bolt is caught partially in the buffer tube & I can't get the upper & lower separated.
I'm thinking I need to remove the buffer tube to safely get the receivers apart?
See thread title.

You can see the pin, sort of, in the ejection port.

A bit better image. The pin sticking out won't allow the bolt to rotate & retract.
Thanks

Update:
I've been in contact with Kurt at KAK, He was quick to respond to my issue. Just to point out this BCG has worked flawlessly from day one. The whole rifle has as a matter of fact. Fit & finish on it is nice & what I would expect. Kurt wants to look at the BCG since he has not experienced this issue & has stepped up to the plate & will send a new BCG to me. Gotta love a US made manufacturer that stands behind his product.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 11:24:50 PM EDT
[#1]
people smarter than me will chime in, but have you tried the forward assist?
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 11:39:22 PM EDT
[#2]
FA won't do it, I just want to confirm removing the buffer tube to separate the receivers is the correct way to get them apart.
With the bolt partially stuck in the tube the receivers won't come apart.

Edit: Spelling.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 11:49:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Note to self: don't get a KAK BCG.

I've never heard of this before.   I really don't know,  and am curious.   Any way you can snip or grind down the pin through the mag well?

Maybe try to pull it the rest of the way out?
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 11:53:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I would very carefully try to grind that down with a small bit on the pencil Dremel extension and hope for the best.  Take your time.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 11:57:23 PM EDT
[#5]
There really isn't a "correct" way to solve this.

If you remove the receiver extension, you can remove the spring and buffer, but the bolt carrier will still be locking the upper and lower together if it is seized in place (e.g. Cam pin is all jacked up). If the bolt carrier can move freely towards the rear, remove it and separate the upper and lower.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 11:58:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would very carefully try to grind that down with a small bit on the pencil Dremel extension and hope for the best.  Take your time.
View Quote

I have considered this approach, I'd have to use a thin metal shim to protect the receiver from getting scarred, at this point I don't care about the bolt.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:00:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There really isn't a "correct" way to solve this.

If you remove the receiver extension, you can remove the spring and buffer, but the bolt carrier will still be locking the upper and lower together if it is seized in place (e.g. Cam pin is all jacked up). If the bolt carrier can move freely towards the rear, remove it and separate the upper and lower.
View Quote

Ok that's what I thought, yes the bolt moves freely in the upper. Thanks for the confirmation.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:09:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Removing both takedown pins wont let you separate receivers?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:14:23 AM EDT
[#9]
If needed couldnt you drive pin back into bolt even if bent and allow cam to move and get BCG out?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:15:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

No the bolt won't rotate back into the carrier, the back end of the carrier is still in the tube.

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:15:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If needed couldnt you drive pin back into bolt even if bent and allow cam to move and get BCG out?
View Quote

I can't get on the pin at the right angle.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:26:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Did you not get the retaining pin on the firing pin correctly letting the firing pin slide out the back and letting the cam pin rotate?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:49:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No the bolt won't rotate back into the carrier, the back end of the carrier is still in the tube.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't need it to rotate back in.

Punch out the front and rear take down pins. Then slide the entire upper forward.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 2:06:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 2:10:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Pull the pin out.

And or a dental pick to punch down
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 5:54:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Slam the end of the barrel  on a block of wood on a cement floor .  with the weapon at a 90 degrees  from the floor
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 7:32:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
As already mentioned, try pushing out the front pivot pin &  rear take down, then sliding the upper and lower receiver assemblies apart by pushing up and forward.  If that doesn't work, then maybe try attacking the offending pin by using a long shaft drive pin punch, going up through the magazine well, and tap on the pin to knock it loose.  Another option would be a very long dremel type shaft/bit combo with stone to maybe grind the pin down.            

CY6
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
SLR15 Rifles
TheDefensiveEdge.com
(763) 712-0123

View Quote

I'm going to agree with this. I ASSumed you already tried removing the takedown and pivot pins first.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 8:31:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm going to agree with this. I ASSumed you already tried removing the takedown and pivot pins first.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As already mentioned, try pushing out the front pivot pin &  rear take down, then sliding the upper and lower receiver assemblies apart by pushing up and forward.  If that doesn't work, then maybe try attacking the offending pin by using a long shaft drive pin punch, going up through the magazine well, and tap on the pin to knock it loose.  Another option would be a very long dremel type shaft/bit combo with stone to maybe grind the pin down.            

CY6
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
SLR15 Rifles
TheDefensiveEdge.com
(763) 712-0123

Yes, both TD pins come free & the receivers are loose, the carriers is partially in the buffer tube. The rear TD pin hole in the upper will not allow the upper to slide forward enough to get carrier out of the tube.
I'll try to pull the pin out with needle nose pliers as suggested or I have a beater chisel I can sharpen & maybe cut the pin off flush.
I'll report back.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 8:48:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Is the cam pin installed? I did not think the extractor pin was exposed so it could walk out?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:08:47 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Ok, I got the pin out.

While shooting the rifle the extractor pin walked out of the bolt not letting the BCG into battery. I wasn't able to grab the pin at first with the pliers but did push it up & out enough with an ice pick. At that point I could grab the pin with pliers & remove it. The bolt then slide back into the carrier & I could open the receivers.

Other than the pin, the other parts of the BCG are not damaged.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:11:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Is the cam pin installed? I did not think the extractor pin was exposed so it could walk out?
View Quote

That is a good point, This is a .308 caliber rifle. I'll look at my other BCG in my AR15 & see.
If the extractor pin is buried in the carrier, what would cause the bolt to move forward that much & let the pin walk?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:39:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Did you not get the retaining pin on the firing pin correctly letting the firing pin slide out the back and letting the cam pin rotate?
View Quote

The last time I disassembled & cleaned the BCG I'm pretty sure I got it right. I have been shooting the rifle up until this issue happened. I'm pretty sure the firing pin would not hit the primer if the retaining pin was not in the correct location on the FP. Anything is possible, that's why I'm here.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:22:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Just curious, is that one of their new double ejector BCG's?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:23:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just curious, is that one of their new double ejector BCG's?
View Quote

It is not.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:26:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Just to add, when I got the BCG out, both retaining pin & bolt cam were in the proper orientation.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:38:00 AM EDT
[#26]

Weak extractor spring?

One of the first rifles I bought had what I thought was a weak extractor spring.  Extraction wasn't a problem, but when cleaning it took just a tiny bit of pressure on the extractor and a gentle tap of the bolt on the bench and the pin would fall out.

That worried me.  I thought something exactly like this might happen.

I ordered new springs and I felt a tremendous difference in spring tension.  It seems spring tension is what keeps the pin from walking.

Just a thought

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 3:53:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Weak extractor spring?

One of the first rifles I bought had what I thought was a weak extractor spring.  Extraction wasn't a problem, but when cleaning it took just a tiny bit of pressure on the extractor and a gentle tap of the bolt on the bench and the pin would fall out.

That worried me.  I thought something exactly like this might happen.

I ordered new springs and I felt a tremendous difference in spring tension.  It seems spring tension is what keeps the pin from walking.

Just a thought

View Quote

I never had an ejection or extraction issue with this BCG.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 4:06:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just to point out this BCG has worked flawlessly from day one. The whole rifle has as a matter of fact.
View Quote

This does not compute.

I don't understand why people say this kind of stuff.  I would call this a catastrophic failure.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 4:26:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This does not compute.

I don't understand why people say this kind of stuff.  I would call this a catastrophic failure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just to point out this BCG has worked flawlessly from day one. The whole rifle has as a matter of fact.

This does not compute.

Because up until last night it did. Not a catastrophe as you put it. No one was hurt, gun did not blow up. I have no idea why it happened but the manufacturer has stepped up to figure it out & make it right. Can you say that about every firearm component manufacturer? I bet ammunition causes more problems than anything else.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 4:31:58 PM EDT
[#30]
If the gun stops running and can't be fixed in the field, I'd call that catastrophic.  That's just my opinion.

I just don't get the appraisal of the gun based on everything that happened right up until it failed.  It's like when I hear people say they are happy with their new carry gun, they ran 100 rounds through it and it's "flawless".  I don't know, it's just a pet peeve of mine.  Disregard it.  It's not that important in the long run.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 4:33:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Because up until last night it did. Not a catastrophe as you put it. No one was hurt, gun did not blow up. I have no idea why it happened but the manufacturer has stepped up to figure it out & make it right. Can you say that about every firearm component manufacturer? I bet ammunition causes more problems than anything else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This does not compute.

I think catastrophic failure would be a failure that prevent the weapon from functioning and can't readily be remedied in the field

But I have been around before
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 4:47:36 PM EDT
[#32]
On a two way range I can certainly agree.
The positive thing I can take away from this is that I have better experience to diagnose this problem.
I have no problem admitting I new to this platform & I'm here to learn. I've seen plenty of other issues posted in this forum that get plenty of help to resolve. Others ask for more information & I am just trying to provide the best picture I can so folks can make intelligent responses.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The positive thing I can take away from this is that I have better experience to diagnose this problem.
I have no problem admitting I new to this platform & I'm here to learn. I've seen plenty of other issues posted in this forum that get plenty of help to resolve. Others ask for more information & I am just trying to provide the best picture I can so folks can make intelligent responses.
View Quote

Indeed.  I try to keep that attitude myself when something expensive breaks.  Is hard though.  Fortunately in your case you didn't have to come out of pocket to fix it.  

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 7:19:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Indeed.  I try to keep that attitude myself when something expensive breaks.  Is hard though.  Fortunately in your case you didn't have to come out of pocket to fix it.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We also have a US made manufacturer that stands behind his product. I chose to use several parts suppliers that had no reviews on their product for 2 reasons. They were made in the US & of course in my price point. I can't afford tier 1 shit & I'm not shooting this rifle to defend my life. If KAK backs up the part & is able to make a better component because of it, I'm on board. How else are we going to find new sources unless you give it a shot. It impressed me that KAK didn't hesitate to resolve the issue.
ETA: This was my 1st build ala cart. Took almost a year to choose everything needed to assemble & get it to the range. I had a gunsmith help me with the barrel install on the upper but I sat at my kitchen table & put everything else together in about an hour. Took it down stairs & shot it. I did replace the GI type trigger with a 2 stage Geissele. I've been testing commercial ammo for accuracy and will create a thread when I'm done. Reloading for this rifle is my next adventure. This whle process costs me a buttload of money lol
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top