Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/24/2015 2:33:55 PM EDT
Hey Guys I need some help here. I am building a rifle and I bought a NYS compliant rifle (DS-15) (http://www.dark-storm.com/dark-storm-ds-15-moe-featureless-5.56-rifle-fde-black.html)  and I have been adding things too it ex. Nap tac 1/8 barrel and a Magpul UBR stock. and now it wont cycle. the bolt is not going far enough back and the casing some times wont come out and more often than not it does but the new round never gets fed in. I have checked the buffer spring and buffer buying a new one, that didnt fix it and I also changed up the ammo and still nothing. I also made sure that the gas block is lined up properly and it is, still nothing. I'm out of ideas for things to look at. Any ideas form you guys?

Before I made any mods to it it was working fine. shot some Remington .223 out of it also some Tulammo both of which are commonly bought at Wal-mart

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 3:37:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 4:01:56 PM EDT
[#2]
it is a carbine not a full rifle if that makes a difference.

But never the less thank you for your help, Ill be sure to try it this weekend
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 4:21:51 PM EDT
[#3]
the term rifle was being used to refer to a shoulder fired weapon and was not in reference to your barrel or gas system length
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 4:53:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 5:17:13 PM EDT
[#5]
boy that NYSA is some bull ..sorry just 2 cents
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 2:17:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Welcome to the community Shef. I'm also in Suffolk and got my stripper lower from DSI. They are good guys over there. Just to summarize, you got a featureless and are now in the process of adding features. When switching barrels, did you stick with a 16" barrel and carbine-length gas system or did you switch to a mid-length gas system? When you ditched that thordsen stock for the Magpul collapsible, did you have to change the buffer tube? Does the bolt lock back on an empty when you pull the charging handle? If so, I'm wondering if you possibly changed to the longer gas system and are now short-stroking due to not enough gas getting back to the bolt carrier group. What is the weight of the buffer that came in the gun and the second one you just got? Not trying to bomb you with questions, just trying to get a bead on this to help a local. My cousin lives off of Carleton Ave and has a DSI custom fixed mag rifle that I've been curious to try at Brookhaven or Calverton one of these days.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#7]
For the Gas system I literally kept everything the same except the barrel itself. I stuck with a 16" barrel also. The magpul stock came with its own custom buffer tube. And the bolt will lock back on an empty mag.

My buddy and I have narrowed it down to an issue with the gas system and or something with the upper. We switched out all the other parts with a couple of his down in PA ex. Used a different lower on the upper and vice versa. tried multiple different buffers and springs and even a different Bolt carrying group. I had to go back home so I left it with him to try and figure out whats wrong with the upper.

On the DSI website the barrel is listed as a SOCOM barrel and the BCG is one to an M16 and the Nap tac that I bought at a gun show is a 5.56 M4 16"

Next Question can an M4 barrel not take an M16 BCG? They should be the same right?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 2:38:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Hence the changes im making ;)     paxtoncamaro
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top