Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/22/2015 1:58:41 PM EDT
I have an weird problem.
I built a new ar and chose a socom 18 inch barrel. I bought the nicon m223 scope with a burris one piece quick detach scope mount. I took it out to sight it in for the first time with the new scope and got it sighted in at 100 yards. was shooting good. then I took it out to 175 yards and took a few shots without doing any adjustments to the scope and it was missing the paper. so shootin about 12 to 16 inches high!!!!  was very confused. so I cranked it way way down with the elevation turret and once I had it close it was keeping a good group.  
the only thing I could think of was the barrel was mounted crooked, maybe pointed up. so I took the free float hand guard off and put the upper on my bridgport mill. I indicated the barrel in extremely straight. (less than .0005 over a 16 in span.) and then I took the indicator  to the upper receiver and I measured a .002" slope between a 6inch span. I cant see that being enough rise in the barrel to be off that much at 200 yards.  I did the math on it an a .002" taper on 6 inches would be 1.2inches high at 100 yards.

not sure what to do now!

any info would be helpful

thanks
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 4:10:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 7:38:27 PM EDT
[#2]
i indicated the receiver in perfectly flat and then took an indicator to the barrel and got a .008" difference from the beginning of the barrel the the end of the barrel. and the thickness of the barrel is the same all the way down.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 7:40:46 PM EDT
[#3]
also have picitany rails on the top portion of the scope mounts and indicated off of those and those are in perfect parallelism as the top of the receiver.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:56:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:57:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Double check your scope mount and rings to make sure they are tight.

A scoped AR-15 rifle zeroed at 100 yards shouldn't be more than 1.5" off at 150.

Unless your shooting different ammo at both ranges.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 9:26:55 AM EDT
[#6]
OK. So have done some research and more shooting and what I am coming up with is the bore is not concentric to the od of barrel. So when mounting the barrel to upper it measures true to od but the actual bore is pointing up. So I must have gotten a bad barrel? Is there anything I can do to fix this. And I have access to a machine shop so I can do my own work.
Thanks for all the input guys. Been a big help.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 12:22:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top