Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/19/2015 9:08:46 PM EDT
It's a new build with a PSA upper and lower, PSA BCG and lower parts kit. Bring the bolt back and hold down the bolt release at the bottom, release chg handle fast or slow makes no difference bolt goes into battery. None of the others (and I have several) do this. This is without a mag inserted. I'm thinking it's the lock but I don't know. Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 9:20:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Is there something that blocks your view of the bolt catch through the ejection port?  You should be able to just look in there and see what's going on.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 9:26:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll check.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 12:11:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:00:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's a new build with a PSA upper and lower, PSA BCG and lower parts kit. Bring the bolt back and hold down the bolt release at the bottom, release chg handle fast or slow makes no difference bolt goes into battery. None of the others (and I have several) do this. This is without a mag inserted. I'm thinking it's the lock but I don't know. Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you
View Quote

thomas715,

Try a magazine that's made of metal instead of plastic. I'll bet the follower of the mag isn't catching causing the bolt to ride over the follower during cycling operation.

Impala
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:10:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

thomas715,

Try a magazine that's made of metal instead of plastic. I'll bet the follower of the mag isn't catching causing the bolt to ride over the follower during cycling operation.

Impala
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thomas715,

Impala

You misread the original post.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:34:54 AM EDT
[#6]
If you are pressing on the bolt catch and it is moving, there are really only a couple of possibilities.  Your bolt catch was made wrong or has a broken off piece, or you are not pulling the bolt far back enough for the face of the bolt to catch on the bolt catch.  In either case, you should be able to LOOK RIGHT AT THE thing and see what is going on.  If the BCG will not come all the way back, you might have an obstruction in the buffer tube, or you might have a wrong buffer installed.

I have never seen it happen with an AR15.  But my Ruger SR762 needed a good strong deliberate pull all the way to the rear, or it would miss the bolt face and catch on front bevel of the BCG.  Sometimes it would hold, others it would slide past and slam home.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 2:57:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 5:16:03 PM EDT
[#8]
[size=2]Sorry about so slow to get back, problem was the butt stock, buffer and spring. Would not allow the bolt to retract far enough. It's a Ace skeleton long butt stock, took the A2 buffer out and used a carbine buffer and its fine. Thank you all for your help. Starting another on bolt not fully engaging( is that short stroke?)
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 6:36:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
[size=2]Sorry about so slow to get back, problem was the butt stock, buffer and spring. Would not allow the bolt to retract far enough. It's a Ace skeleton long butt stock, took the A2 buffer out and used a carbine buffer and its fine. Thank you all for your help. Starting another on bolt not fully engaging( is that short stroke?)
View Quote

If you mean that the spring is not able to push the bolt all the way forward, it's probably because you installed the wrong buffer.  If you are using a rifle length buffer tube then you need to use a rifle length buffer and spring.  

I suspect that your problem is that you used an A2 length screw to attach the buttstock to the rear of the buffer tube.  The Ace stock requires a shorter A1 length screw.  The A2 screw is about a half inch too long and is just long enough to prevent the bolt from moving all the way to the rear.

The A1 screw that you need looks like this:

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 7:13:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Using a carbine buffer in a A1 length tube will allow the back of the carrier key to hit the top rear inside of the lower. Not a good thing.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 7:41:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm thinking these Ace stocks were not ment to be used on a LR-308/ AR-10, bolt length is too long even with the long stock.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 8:38:15 PM EDT
[#12]
There are plenty of people using them on .308 ARs with no problems.

Are you certain that you used the correct screw when you installed the stock?  Try removing the buttstock screw and see if you can lock the bolt back.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the butt pad attached so it uses the longer socket head screw. It's the same I have on two others, and they have the long screw and the longer rifle buffer but I did not check what length spring is in them. With the longer spring and carbine length buffer it works fine, but I need to try the shorter spring with the rifle A2 buffer.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 10:58:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok, took the buffer and spring out of a AR that works flawlessly. It has the A2 set up, long spring and buffer and installed it in the LR-10. Would not work, so I took the ACE off and installed the PSA adjustable that came with the the lower and every thing works fine. Only this different is the length of the bolt.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:02:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top