Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2015 8:21:40 PM EDT
So I was trying to take off a magpul trigger guard and the hex screw got stripped, any idea on how to get the screw off?
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 8:31:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you have the right size? Try to drive a Torx bit into it. If all fails you might just have to live with MagPul trigger guard.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 8:45:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I used a 1 16 hex for the screw which I believe is the right fit
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 10:38:19 PM EDT
[#3]
not sure if this will work, try to take a dremel  cut a slot in it and use a regular slotted screwdriver to remove it.  I used this a couple times on other stuff and it has worked, if it doesn't then you might be screwed. good luck.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 10:47:29 PM EDT
[#4]
EZ Out.

Link Posted: 9/27/2015 11:15:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Use a drill the size of the socket hole and drill the head off.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 11:51:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I will try the above method but will be pretty tough, the screw sits flush so it will be hard to dremel. I put some jb weld in the hole then inserted a hex wrench in it to let it cure I hope it's strong enough to turn when cured
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 11:55:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Pound the next largest hex driver into it. Make sure everything's supported well.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 11:10:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 11:12:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Guys, the screw he is trying to remove has no head, and it is recessed in the hole that the normal trigger guard spring loaded pin is in.  So no slotting of the 'head'.  I'd try a 1/16" drill bit and an easy out.  And yes, a 1/16" hex is the correct size.  You could try an easy out without drilling and I would suggest holding a hair dryer on that area for quite awhile to heat up the little bit of locktite that is on those screws from the factory, it might help.

Edit: opps sorry, post above mine covered it well
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 3:30:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://ar15news.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/img_2313.jpg

Being that the set screw has loctite, and that its being threaded into a plastic trigger guard, does limit what you can do and still save the trigger guard.

Truth be told, I would start with a EZ Out, and needed, undersized drill the bolt head channel so you can get a bit more bite on it  with the EZ Out to still thread it out of the trigger guard.

Hence the use of heat on the bolt to break down the loctite bond is going to end up with the trigger guards thread just melted, and if it did come to that point that you are going to destroy the trigger guard anyways, then the guard can be cut in half to just leave the front end of it still in the receiver, then make a cut across the bolt still inside the trigger guard front end to pull the front of the guard out two pieces instead.
View Quote

Thanks for the replys. I will give EZ out a try, would I be able to find this at Home Depot/Lowes?
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 7:32:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#12]
IMO wingsnthings has the best approach Torx bit , maybe a snug fit mm
hex bit, or you can grind a small flat screw driver just a bit bigger ,
tap it in and work it back and forth first,

the easy out will work to
but I wouldn't do it that way unless you can hold the lower in a vice
and use a drill press, if you do have a drill press.

Now with all that said If it was me id knock out the roll pin on the other side heat it up use a pair of dikes cut next to the screw till there's nothing left pull it out

and go to Midway usa the guards are on sale for 8.50 and just replace it . instead of maybe scratching up my lower.

lock load live free

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 12:58:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So I was trying to take off a magpul trigger guard and the hex screw got stripped, any idea on how to get the screw off?
View Quote

I had the same problem with a set screw on a gas block.  Took it to a local smith who shoved a flat head screw driver in and it screwed right out.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:12:49 PM EDT
[#14]
If it's a $8 plastic Magpul trigger guard I'd sacrifice it, rather than take the chance of damaging the Lower Receiver.

Push the fixed roll pin out, and cut the trigger guard right at the ears, taking care to not touch them.  Then cut the remaining part of the trigger guard between the ears with a cut parallel to the ears, and right down the center.

Grab the remains of the trigger guard that's attached to the screw and rotate it to unscrew off of the screw.  Now you can grab the exposed inner end of the screw with vicegrips, and turn the screw clockwise (direction would be in looking at it from the head end) until it screws all the way in and falls off the threads on the Lower Receiver.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top