Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/27/2015 2:29:15 PM EDT
I just finished building my lower, and I ran into one problem. The VLTOR adjustable stock when you get to 4 takes A LOT of push and pull to get it to go to 1 and back out again. I'm wondering if this is due to warped plastic or maybe the stock itself isn't level. Any suggestions, or has this happened to anyone else? It's okay from 7 to 4 back and forth. Collapsing the stock anymore and it isn't right.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 3:30:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 5:20:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would help to know which model butt stock.

https://www.vltor.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/AEBK-A5_buffer_kit_3.jpg

On the above unit, you can see the cross pin that holds the lever detent pin collar in place (buffer bumper is pointing at it), and if needed to fine tune the butt stock to the receiver extension, you can drive the roll pin out of the detent pin to adjust the bottom collar nut up or down on the detent pin threads on to adjust the pin correctly.

Hence if the release lever is not releasing the detent pin from the receiver extension detent positions correctly, then the collar nut threaded up another half wind or full wind solves the problem to allow the lever to fully release the detent pin from the receiver extension groove detent's.

If on the other hand, the butt stock is not holding fast during say recoil, then the collar nut can be spun down to allow the detent to engage the receiver extensions a touch more in the lever at rest position.  

As for adjusting the  lever detent collar nut, pull all the way down on the lever to dray the detent pin all the way into the butt stock (not just cam'd) and pull the butt stock off the back of the tube.  Now butt stock loose, drive the roll pin out, then holding the index pin via the inside of the butt stock, thread the nut 1/2 more wind upwards on the detent pin threads, then give the butt stock a try before reinstalling the roll pin back into secure the collar to that thread position on the levers detent pin threads.
View Quote

That's it. I thought about what you said. I'm hoping that's it. Later on tonight I'm going to try that. Thanks for the help. Will respond back with results.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 11:53:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Still rough. I didn't think the bottom adjusting detent pin was rubbing on anything. I checked the buttstock tube itself and it seems level. I think they may have made the tolerance too good on it. I have the same stock on my Colt Commando, and I have no problems with adjusting. I put some lube on it and that seems to help a little.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top