Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2015 10:36:25 AM EDT
Running an Ares Armor upper on a PSA lower with CMMG LPK. Original BCG was a nitrided ares armor M16 BCG. Started having this failure and with some rough tooling marks on the bottom of the carrier I thought that could be the trouble. I have my BCM BCG in it now and I'm having the same issue. I've tried another complete lower that was off my BCM gun and still does this.  If I slow fire there's no issue. If I bump fire, no issue.  But if I pull the trigger as fast as I can this is what happens. Bolt locks back after firing one round every time. I've tried USGI and Pmags from both lowers and still malfunctions. The chamber has been scrubbed clean and everything properly lubed with CLP. Any ideas?

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 11:13:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 11:21:35 PM EDT
[#2]
16 inch barrel. Carbine gas system. I've used a standard buffer and a H buffer. 3 different carbine recoil springs, two different lowers and two different  BCGs.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 11:28:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 11:39:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bolt ride over, and either the rifle is short stroking from fouling build up/ gas block coming loose when hot, or the mag is not being retained high enough in the mag well/mag not recovering the top round fast enough.

Also, if you are using the mag as a hand hold point, don't!!!  This can cause you to cant the mag in the well to dip the back side of the mag to allow the bolt to ride of the back of the rim to cause the problem you have.

So on the fouling part, make sure that you are cleaning the chamber with a chamber brush and CLP.

As for mag, make sure that the mag catch threaded section is flush with the face of the mag release button, and might help to pull the mags apart to CLP clean then as well.

As for the gas block, double check to make sure that the set screws are tight, and that they have been loctite in place.  Also, with a B/C swap, pull the bolt off the carrier and dry fit the carrier with key into the upper receiver to confirm that the gas tube is correctly indexed with the new carrier key.
View Quote

Been there done that. I sent Ares Armor the pic today and they are sending a replacement BCG and if that don't work which I don't think it will they are gonna replace the upper.   The second lower was used on my BCM gun that has thousands through it with no issues.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 12:48:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Have you done the "under-gassed" test?

One round in the magazine... fire the round and if you are sufficiently gassed... the bolt will lock to the rear... held open by the bolt catch.

If you fire a round and the bolt does not lock to the rear... you are under gassed!
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 2:07:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Have you done the "under-gassed" test?

One round in the magazine... fire the round and if you are sufficiently gassed... the bolt will lock to the rear... held open by the bolt catch.

If you fire a round and the bolt does not lock to the rear... you are under gassed!
View Quote

I have several times and it's only not locked back once. Like I said it works fine even while bump firing.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 12:56:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 8:30:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Out of curiosity, have you tried a different weight buffer or a heavier resistance action spring (buffer spring), to see if things change?

CY6
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
SLR15 Rifles
TheDefensiveEdge.com
(763) 712-0123
View Quote

I've used a standard and a heavy buffer. Along with three different springs with one being a slightly different size.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 11:23:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top