Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2015 4:30:42 PM EDT
Here's my issue:

I have a Colt 6920 with a Geissele SSA Trigger in it.  I recently bought a new Noveske upper - 14.5 afghan upper.
I run it suppressed 99% of the time.  All colt = no issues ever.

When I put the Noveske upper on it, it occasiionaly gets the bcg stuck to the rear.  From what I can tell, it's getting stuck on the trigger.
It sticks randomly.  Could go 10 rds fine or could only do 3.

When it sticks, it goes about an inch at the most from the rear.  I remove the mag and pull the charging handle back and it'll move about an 1/2 in or so.  When I pull the trigger while pulling it back, it seems like the bcg frees up and will go forward.  

Not sure if that means the bcg is going to slow or what?  I believe it has a H buffer in it.

Swap the lower to the colt upper and 0 issues.

Shooting good ammo.  Normally speer gold dots, lake city or my reloads.  Happens with all of them.  Everything is lubed and cleaned properly.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 5:41:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok So I just swapped the BCGs between the two and it still jams up.  I can get it to jam just by pulling the CH back.  It seems like it is jamming more often once I pull the trigger and then pull the CH back, but it doesn't do it every time.  It is also occasionally jamming coming back about 1/4 of an inch, with the lugs still towards the front.  If I pull it a few more times it unhooks and comes back..

I have no clue what is going on now.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Could you maybe get a pic or vid through the ejection port showing the BCG getting stuck, since it appears you can replicate this at home?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:24:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Could you maybe get a pic or vid through the ejection port showing the BCG getting stuck, since it appears you can replicate this at home?
View Quote

Yep.  I'll get one up in a little bit.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:12:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Since you have tried a different BCG and still had the same issue, I'd check if the gas tube enters the upper receiver off center. It sounds like your gas key/bold carrier has difficulties engaging with the gas tube.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:17:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Since you have tried a different BCG and still had the same issue, I'd check if the gas tube enters the upper receiver off center. It sounds like your gas key/bold carrier has difficulties engaging with the gas tube.
View Quote

It sounds like the BCG is getting stuck almost all the way rearward.  If so, there's no way the gas tube is causing that.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:23:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It sounds like the BCG is getting stuck almost all the way rearward.  If so, there's no way the gas tube is causing that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yessir.

If it got stuck in the forward position maybe. But an inch from fully rearward the gas tube isn't in play.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:36:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Not a fix, but try pulling the buffer retainer pin and see if it still does it.  Bolts are known to hang up on those when tolerances are out of wack.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:07:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Here is where it is locked back at.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:20:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not a fix, but try pulling the buffer retainer pin and see if it still does it.  Bolts are known to hang up on those when tolerances are out of wack.
View Quote

This would be first place i looked the way the OP is describing it if the bcg slides freely with it removed from the lower
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:53:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Here is where it is locked back at.

<a href="http://s28.photobucket.com/user/jwhit37/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150830_084442_zpsvisnk0jp.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c229/jwhit37/Mobile%20Uploads/20150830_084442_zpsvisnk0jp.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s28.photobucket.com/user/jwhit37/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150830_084608_zpssivkljas.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c229/jwhit37/Mobile%20Uploads/20150830_084608_zpssivkljas.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s28.photobucket.com/user/jwhit37/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150830_084619_zpsbmnlfuvg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c229/jwhit37/Mobile%20Uploads/20150830_084619_zpsbmnlfuvg.jpg</a>
View Quote

In that last picture where you show the BCG is that as far as it'll go in?

I recommend taking your trigger apart and putting it back together. One time I had a trigger where one of the legs were a bit out of place. It doesn't hurt to just take it out and put it back together even if it looks okay and make sure all springs are in correct positions.

Edit: Also it's unclear if the same or different BCG are used in either case. Again worth a shot to put the good known BCG into the Noveske upper and seeing if it cycles.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:56:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This would be first place i looked the way the OP is describing it if the bcg slides freely with it removed from the lower
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok so I changed out the trigger.  And same issue. I also took the trigger out completely and it's locking it up as well.   It's also occasionally binding with the bolt to the front.  So it probably is the buffer retaining pin catching it going back and then catching it again going forward.  What gets me is why the lower works 100% of the time with other uppers and not this one.  

Is there even a fix for it or is the upper being possibly out of spec the problem.

Edit:  the BCG goes all the way in.  I guess it slipped out a bit for that pic.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:03:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd call Noveske and ask them if they would like to try and address it.  It sounds like you have checked everything.  I'd probably want to shit can the upper.  I don't think I would ever trust it, and use it only for a range toy.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:15:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'd call Noveske and ask them if they would like to try and address it.  It sounds like you have checked everything.  I'd probably want to shit can the upper.  I don't think I would ever trust it, and use it only for a range toy.
View Quote

I just sent them an email.  Yea it's not even a fun range toy being that it locks up about every 5 rds.  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:17:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This but if this is not an option a jp silent capture spring doesnt require the buffer retaining detente. However that is probably only going to reveal that the BCG is somehow spinning out of place and cause another issue.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:22:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Here's a stupid thought....have you tried the problematic upper on a different lower? Maybe it's a tolerance stack issue between that specific upper and lower combo.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:31:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Here's a stupid thought....have you tried the problematic upper on a different lower? Maybe it's a tolerance stack issue between that specific upper and lower combo.
View Quote

That was a thought, I just need to get another lower from a buddy.  I'm down to 1 complete lower with 2 uppers.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:43:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Ok so I changed out the trigger.  And same issue. I also took the trigger out completely and it's locking it up as well.   It's also occasionally binding with the bolt to the front.  So it probably is the buffer retaining pin catching it going back and then catching it again going forward.  What gets me is why the lower works 100% of the time with other uppers and not this one.  

Is there even a fix for it or is the upper being possibly out of spec the problem.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

With the upper and lower seperated does the bcg move freely?  

If so Look at the bolt carrier for the odd wear .

The fastest way to test is pull the buffer retainer pin.

I doubt your receiver extension is bent since the other upper works.

Something is out of spec with the noveske upper.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:53:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Like stated find another lower just to see
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:57:32 AM EDT
[#19]
If you hapen to be north east of Dallas we can find out real fast if you don't have easy access to another lower........

I have a few on hand without buffer retainer pins.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you hapen to be north east of Dallas we can find out real fast if you don't have easy access to another lower........

I have a few on hand without buffer retainer pins.
View Quote

Thanks for the offer but Im down near Corpus.  I have a few buddies with them or Ill try one from work.  We have about 100 of em there to pick from.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Check the barrel extension for a blown primer. I had one bouncing around in there until it got smashed flat and hid. Played hide and go seek for about 20 mins until I found the bugger.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:06:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Check the barrel extension for a blown primer. I had one bouncing around in there until it got smashed flat and hid. Played hide and go seek for about 20 mins until I found the bugger.
View Quote

Blown primer in barrel extension won't cause the BCG to be stuck in the rear position.
OP's issue is a strange one... I am very curious to know what is causing this...
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:25:16 PM EDT
[#24]
So i just tried it on 2 different lowers and both had the same malfunction.  So its definitely the upper being off a little.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:53:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So i just tried it on 2 different lowers and both had the same malfunction.  So its definitely the upper being off a little.
View Quote

Is it a factory assembled Noveske upper?
From your picture is seems like the upper has a non Noveske FF rail.

If the upper is made and assembled by Noveske, let them know and let them fix it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 6:31:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

With the upper removed, is the BCG able to move freely along the carrier bore? If not, check for binding inside the area of the receiver just behind the ejection port. When I used to do warranty work for a manufacturer, we would periodically see receivers that had been 'pinched' due to over-tightening of clam shell blocks during the initial assembly. This would bind the BCG, most noticeable while in battery, or when retracted into the extension tube. The issue was exacerbated by a combination of cam pin drag and friction from contact with the hammer....

If this turns out to not be the cause, check the alignment between the carrier bore and extension tube.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:41:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:11:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:58:31 PM EDT
[#29]
As far as the trigger catching it, It is catching without a trigger even in the lower.  

I'm going to take it to work tonight and check it on several other lowers we have there.  If it's binding on those, then it has to be the upper.  I have a spare stripped upper that I'll swap it out with and see what happens.  The factory colt lower that it's on in the pictures has 2-3k rds with 0 issues except for when this upper goes on it.  So I don't think the buffer tube is on wrong, and also by looking at the threads, if I were to go another turn with the buffer tube, it would cover the pin entirely.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:00:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

With the upper removed, is the BCG able to move freely along the carrier bore? If not, check for binding inside the area of the receiver just behind the ejection port. When I used to do warranty work for a manufacturer, we would periodically see receivers that had been 'pinched' due to over-tightening of clam shell blocks during the initial assembly. This would bind the BCG, most noticeable while in battery, or when retracted into the extension tube. The issue was exacerbated by a combination of cam pin drag and friction from contact with the hammer....

If this turns out to not be the cause, check the alignment between the carrier bore and extension tube.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It moves freely, except all the way to the rear, it feels like there is a slight gripping of the bcg, but it's so little, I don't think that would be the issue.  The alignment may be a little off, but how would I check for that or fix it?  Other than replacing the upper.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:26:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:48:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It moves freely, except all the way to the rear, it feels like there is a slight gripping of the bcg, but it's so little, I don't think that would be the issue.  The alignment may be a little off, but how would I check for that or fix it?  Other than replacing the upper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

First, visually inspect the rear of the upper to ensure that it was not machined off-center, usually one side will have a thicker wall if this is the case. But the receiver lugs themselves can be off-center as well, causing the carrier bore to sit slightly shifted to one side. To check this on an already barreled receiver, I remove the BCG and buffer/spring assembly, place the upper/lower together and use a small mechanics mirror that has been trimmed down, it is inserted into the magwell and a light shined into the ejection port to get a good look along the axis inside. A dental mirror might fit as well, or even a small piece of any mirror which can be held at an angle in either the ejection port or via the magwell. Look for continuity in the relationship between the receiver and lip of the extension tube. If you see any odd shadowing or overlapping where they meet, then I would suspect that is the cause for binding. Also, if the off-centered machining is severe enough, the image will appear to have a slight 'bend' where the tube and receiver meet.

ETA: Also, as Dano advised, check for unusual wear around the lip of the tube, as well as excessive surface wear in a particular area inside.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:38:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Found the culprit!  I took it apart again getting ready to swap the uppers out to try that out when this fell into to upper when the bcg came out.

Somehow the forward assist broke off and was catching  the bcg.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:56:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 3:15:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Wow. Didn't see that coming.   That's a first for me.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 8:01:07 PM EDT
[#36]
I've seen it once, didn't think to mention it though since the symptoms were different from the op's.  A buddy had his Colt 6940 completely lock up on him with the bolt mostly rearward.  After a bit of work we finally got it freed up, and the pawl from the forward assist fell out.   It was a new one on me at the time, but I immediately ordered a FA assembly to keep on hand for a spare.  

Quoted:
Wow. Didn't see that coming.   That's a first for me.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/6/2015 10:49:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top