Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2015 12:23:15 AM EDT
I recently picked up an Anderson LW upper receiver(no FA/port door). Overall I am pretty happy with it, but I do have one issue, the action sounds/feels awful, like there is a handful of sand inside the upper, worse than any AR I've tried before. Is there anything I can do to clean it up?

It is properly lubed, I've tried multiple bcgs/charging handles etc, and the issue is definitely with the upper.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 12:27:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I recently picked up an Anderson LW upper receiver(no FA/port door). Overall I am pretty happy with it, but I do have one issue, the action sounds/feels awful, like there is a handful of sand inside the upper, worse than any AR I've tried before. Is there anything I can do to clean it up?

It is properly lubed, I've tried multiple bcgs/charging handles etc, and the issue is definitely with the upper.
View Quote

Does it shoot fine?
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 12:35:25 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does it shoot fine?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Does it shoot fine?
Thats not really the point. It sounds and feels like a PSA reject.

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 12:40:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does it shoot fine?

Its anderson, what did you expect?

We aren't talking kac or larue here.

If it shoots fine, don't worry about it
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:43:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does it shoot fine?

Shoot it, clean it, shoot it, clean it--it will smooth out the parts wearing on each other.  Quite frankly, I can't tell the difference aside from missing white T-marks on my Anderson lowers vs anything else.

In fact, Andersons are what I use for Moly Resin projects since they don't have t marks they cost less.  Brand new out of packaging, hit with a ton of brake cleaner, nuke in the oven at 450 for an hour, then do my work to them.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 9:51:17 AM EDT
[#5]
if it bothers you that much, then clean and lube the rifle then hand cycle it a couple hundred times while you're watching TV.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 12:03:52 PM EDT
[#6]
And if it REEEAAALLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYY bothers you invest in an upper lapping tool and put some really fine lapping compound (600+) on the shaft and run it into the upper (might as well lap the face of the upper while at it, and get the accuracy bonus).  It's similar to lapping a bolt gun in. Also grease the inside of the buffer tube to eliminate friction there.  Finally, like was said before, cycle the action a few hundred times while watching TV.  I do all of this to all my builds and they are buttery slick before a round gets chambered.  I'm not a fan of the gritty feel either, this is how to eliminate it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#7]
It'll smoothen out after about 87rds.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:25:50 PM EDT
[#8]
just shoot it some more and it'll smooth out. My PSA uppers sound rough when new but start smoothing out after a couple hundred rounds.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:22:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Are you sure the roughness does not originate in the buffer tube? Anyway, clean, lube and do the hand-job thing about...well, 87 times sounds good to me!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:39:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes I'm sure that the roughness is in the upper. Same lower/bcg/ch in one of my other uppers is butter smooth.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top