Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/22/2015 11:28:05 AM EDT
I have a M&P sport 16" that was converted to a low profile gas block and free float hand guard.When I shoot the brass ejects at about 4:30 to maybe 5 o'clock and when I shoot the bolt will stay open on the last round; however when my daughter or son shoots it the bolt will not stay open on the last round. The gas port is .067" and I have verified twice that the gas block is lined up properly and has no signs of leakage. I have shot about 150 rounds through it so far so is this a case of it just needing to wear in some or should I open the gas port to a #50 drill (.070"). I have also tried to make sure they are getting a solid mount on the rifle to their shoulder and have a good grip.

is there anything else I can check? I am new to the AR platform and since I am primarily a bolt action guy I am a noobie to the semi auto rifles so any advice is welcomed!

Also I am using new Winchester and Remington 55gr ammo through the Magpul Pmag.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 1:21:12 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're able to shoot the rifle without issue and your son and daughter are on the small side, I would chalk this issue up to recoil management. Doesnt matter how well they're shouldering the rifle, if they're being pushed back when they fire that might induce short stroking.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 9:50:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I will have to watch them more closely, My son is smaller he is 5'5 and maybe 100 so that may be an issue with his stature handling the recoil. My daughter is 5'8 and 120 she seems to handle the recoil well, ie not moving around too much with each shots and her followup shots always seem to be right on target. She is wanting to get into 3 gun so we are trying to get all the bugs worked out of the guns and and her before she starts her first competition.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 11:14:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I will have to watch them more closely, My son is smaller he is 5'5 and maybe 100 so that may be an issue with his stature handling the recoil. My daughter is 5'8 and 120 she seems to handle the recoil well, ie not moving around too much with each shots and her followup shots always seem to be right on target. She is wanting to get into 3 gun so we are trying to get all the bugs worked out of the guns and and her before she starts her first competition.
View Quote
well, as stated it is not the rifle.  Try once putting your hands with a little pressure right behind their shoulder as they fire a last round so they cannot move back at all (won't hurt them with a 5.56) and I bet it holds fine.  What position is their trigger side elbow in when they fire?

You could play around with buffer and spring weights to see if you can it tuned a bit more to them and function.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 12:41:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe have them square up their stance a little more if they're currently using a bladed stance.

NO

YES
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 2:38:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 4:48:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
As for gas port sizes,
16" barrel, .625" dia., 8.375" from muzzle;
Port sizes from .063" to 078"
16" barrel, .750" dia., 8.375" from muzzle;
Port sizes from .070" to .086"

Yours is in the hunt, and if the game plan is to just run 55/62 gr ammo in the rig, then you will be fine increasing the gas port to .070".  
The reason that S&W leaves the gas port on the smaller size, when you run 69gr+ ammo through the rig, that ammo uses slower burning power, which will increase the port pressure since the spike dwell of the power burn in farther down the barrel that with 55/62gr ammo's that use a slightly faster burning powder.

View Quote

Dano my plan is to only use 55gr ammo, that is all I use in my bolt action and I will stay with this for the ar as well just to stay consistent and I will eventually start reloading once I find a good deal on 55gr bullets since I have everything else to start reloading. I may just go ahead and open it up to .070 it started with .064 and would not lock back on anything even with me shooting it so I opened it up to .067 but I did not want to over pressure it and I figured it best to ask for advice. It has a .750 gas block and by the specs posted it should have a .070 anyway as the smallest. I will also check the lugs and catch that you had mentioned.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 4:51:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Maybe have them square up their stance a little more if they're currently using a bladed stance.

View Quote

I will have switch, even I use a bladed stance it is hard for me not to since I have been using it for 30 years or so. even when doing pistol I always go to the weaver stance unless I mentally remind myself not to
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top