Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/18/2015 8:10:45 PM EDT
noticed these marks inside my upper while cleaning it today and was wondering if they are normal. They appear to be from the cam pin catching the edge of the cutout on both ends. The cam pin and BCG don't have any noticeable wear marks on them. Two of my ARs have these marks and two don't.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:22:57 PM EDT
[#1]
If it works don't fix it. Especially if the bcg looks good
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:05:09 PM EDT
[#2]
guns functions fine, I was just wondering if the wear will keep getting worse until it does cause problems.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:17:20 PM EDT
[#3]
IMO it's normal.  It is just the cam pin wearing in and it will stop once it wears in.  From the looks of it I'd say it is done wearing in already.  I have a lot of uppers that look like that but no worse.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:05:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IMO it's normal.  It is just the cam pin wearing in and it will stop once it wears in.  From the looks of it I'd say it is done wearing in already.  I have a lot of uppers that look like that but no worse.
View Quote

This. It will stop wearing and won't hurt anything
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 12:07:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Just checked both of my ARs. One has similar marks but the other (newer) does not. I would assume it is normal.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:01:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 3:12:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Maybe someone can elaborate, but I've read (and it makes sense) that those marks are from manually cycling the BCG. When fired, gas pressure pushed FORWARD on the bolt as the BCG moves BACKWARD... thus unlocking the bolt (rotating the cam pin) within that cutout. Where as, manually cycling lacks the FORWARD pressure on the bolt, so the cam pin hitting that cutout is what rotates the bolt (thus making that wear, and why piston AR's seem to suffer more from this, as there is no forward gas pressure on the bolt with them either even when firing). Is this correct?
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:39:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe someone can elaborate, but I've read (and it makes sense) that those marks are from manually cycling the BCG. When fired, gas pressure pushed FORWARD on the bolt as the BCG moves BACKWARD... thus unlocking the bolt (rotating the cam pin) within that cutout. Where as, manually cycling lacks the FORWARD pressure on the bolt, so the cam pin hitting that cutout is what rotates the bolt (thus making that wear, and why piston AR's seem to suffer more from this, as there is no forward gas pressure on the bolt with them either even when firing). Is this correct?
View Quote

Whether the bolt is being unlocked by hand or by the gas, the bolt cannot move backwards until the bolt lugs have fully disengaged the barrel extension lugs. So, the bolt always rotates through 22.5 degrees before starting to move back, piston or not.

Those marks are made on the closing stroke.  The resistance of stripping the round from the magazine tries to stop the bolt's forward motion, however, the carrier is pushing the bolt forward and this push comes through the cam pin slot on the cam pin.  So the cam pin rides on the left side of the upper channel, and it tends to clip the back corner of the cutout.

Cycling the bolt without rounds in the magazine (live or dummy) does not cause this as the bolt does not want to rotate until it stops when the bolt hits the back of the breech.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top