Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/2/2015 11:09:32 AM EDT
Hey guys,

Built my own AR15 and ran into a problem. I believe the problem has to do with my gas system, specifically a misaligned gas block. When I take it to the range, I seem to be able to get about 3 rounds off before I have failure to eject. from that point forward, I have to manually eject and chamber the next round, which lead to my theory of a misaligned gas block.

Previously I had a rifle-length gas tube, which we found was too long (needed a carbine length) so we attempted to cut it down to size. That didn’t work out, I still had the same problem. So I ordered the correct gas tube and I ran into the same problem as before. When I was taking apart my AR to take the pictures, I noticed that the gas block was shifted a little bit off center, and due to the size of the holes, I figure thats what is causing the problem. I realigned it by sight, but are there better ways of making sure everything is properly aligned? Also, could the failure to eject be caused by any other components that I’m not thinking of?

Ive looked through past forums to help me come to the conclusions I have, but figured id make a post to get some more specific (to my situation) opinions on the matter. Any help you guys can give me would be much appreciated, thanks.

pictures: http://imgur.com/a/yp0uN
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:19:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Could be the buffer or buffer spring being too stiff. Something to look at.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:59:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hey guys,

Built my own AR15 and ran into a problem. I believe the problem has to do with my gas system, specifically a misaligned gas block. When I take it to the range, I seem to be able to get about 3 rounds off before I have failure to eject. from that point forward, I have to manually eject and chamber the next round, which lead to my theory of a misaligned gas block.

Previously I had a rifle-length gas tube, which we found was too long (needed a carbine length) so we attempted to cut it down to size. That didn’t work out, I still had the same problem. So I ordered the correct gas tube and I ran into the same problem as before. When I was taking apart my AR to take the pictures, I noticed that the gas block was shifted a little bit off center, and due to the size of the holes, I figure thats what is causing the problem. I realigned it by sight, but are there better ways of making sure everything is properly aligned? Also, could the failure to eject be caused by any other components that I’m not thinking of?

Ive looked through past forums to help me come to the conclusions I have, but figured id make a post to get some more specific (to my situation) opinions on the matter. Any help you guys can give me would be much appreciated, thanks.

pictures: http://imgur.com/a/yp0uN
View Quote

Yes, your gas block is misaligned, gauging by the relationship to the hand guard (photo 8). Fix that and re-test. That said, low-pro gas blocks usually have a hole that's substantially larger than the gas port, to allow for small misalignment, so it may not be a problem.

What's more likely is a dirty chamber. Acquire a chamber brush, spray it down with CLP, and either use it in a drill on *low* speed, or by hand-turning, to clean the preservatives and carbon out of the chamber. Dry with patches, and repeat firing tests with quality brass-cased ammo. Report back.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:48:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:06:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks! Will definitely do this. Ill update next chance I get to take it out to the range.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:07:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Will definitely check it out and give a thorough cleaning. Thanks a lot, will report back once I get a chance to take it out to the range.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:08:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, didn't even think of that. Will check it out for sure.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:10:05 PM EDT
[#7]

I've been wondering if there's a way to make these at home with a plastic tooth pick or something...

Wes
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:37:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 1:42:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Bore scope.......
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top