Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/29/2015 4:23:28 PM EDT
Generally if a bolt catch breaks it will be on the outside where you depress it. Im a POST certified armorer and this is just baffling me. Im using a CMMG LPK, CMMG buffer/spring. and next level armament .308 BCG. its 4140 steel. this competition series of .308 rifles never had any issues until the BCG. It broke the bolt once, I replaced the bolt with a different manufacture and didn't replace the carrier. I also reluctantly shaved down the hammer  so that even with the upper receiver off if you dropped the hammer it couldn't touch the bolt catch. Just in-case something was out of spec I wanted to eliminate that variable. Im almost 100 percent certain its something to do with the bcg. Notice the fault line and the way it broke off. Its looks as if its the bolt face hitting it and cracking it. Once understandable. twice? unacceptable.

Any thoughts?

Picture with link below

http://postimg.org/image/4fyr315mp/
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:20:19 PM EDT
[#1]
See how far your bolt travels past the bolt catch. If it's over an 1/8" to 1/4" it has too much momentum when the bolt locks open on an empty magazine.

What buffer are you running?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:01:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 1:59:01 AM EDT
[#3]
How high does it come up on the bolt nose when latched?
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:01:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Have you had excessive dry fires with upper removed?   Just tossing out options.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top