Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/18/2015 3:02:04 PM EDT
Hello All!  This is my first AR build and I have a question that has stumped me.  I have a Del-ton lower and RRA LPK (not National Match).  Everything was going along quite smoothly until I installed the Safety Selector, detent pin, spring, & grip.  Without the detent/spring installed the safety selector rotated and performed as it should.  I install the detent pin, spring, & grip (per the RRA video) and the safety will not rotate to the safe or fire as it should.  It's like the spring is applying to much pressure to the detent and holding it in place.  I ensured I had the correct spring, that everything was oiled lightly (just in case), and stepped through this but it still doesn't rotate.  The common sense side of my brain said  to snip a bit off of the spring until I got it to work as it should...but the engineering side of my brain said I shouldn't have to do that.  

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 4:42:21 PM EDT
[#1]
It will only rotate when the rifle is cocked, so did you happen to try charging it and the safety still doesn't rotate?

Check to see if the pistol grip screw is protruding  into the fcg cavity, if the bolt is too long it will push up on the tail of the trigger and lock up the safety.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 4:48:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Ditto.
Make sure hammer is cocked or safety will not rotate.
Make sure lock washer is on the grip screw.
Make sure grip screw is not longer than one-inch.  I like 3/4 inch better myself.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 5:14:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Just to validate that it's not anything else, I removed the trigger/hammer assembly and just installed the safety w/detent, spring, and grip and I have the same issues.  I also double-checked the RRA LPK to ensure I used the correct spring in the front pivot pin and I did.  It's interesting that some videos show installing the safety after the trigger/hammer assembly and some (RRA to be exact) have it installed prior to the trigger/hammer.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 5:16:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll back the RRA stock grip off a bit to lessen the tension on the spring and see if that makes a difference.  Thanks for the idea!!
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top