Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/18/2015 12:45:41 PM EDT
I ended up having to drill out the gas tube pin in my M&P 10 so I could install it in a new low profile block.  I drilled it @ 7/64", but am having no luck finding a roll pin to fit.  The closest I could find was 1/8" roll pin.

Questions:  1.  Is there any harm in drilling the holes to 1/8" (both the block and the tube)?  2. Can your force a 1/8" roll pin in a 7/64" hole or is it just impossible.

I'm leaning towards #1 unless I can get my hands on a 7/64" roll pin.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 12:57:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I found this:  http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/01048263

Its metric, but pretty damn close.  Thoughts??
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#2]
i think u kinda screwed the pooch drilling out the gas tube in the first place I can't really understand why you would need to do this. I personally would toss that gas tube in the trash and start with a fresh one that has the proper 5/64th hole.

that said I'd guess you can probably cram a 1/8th roll pin in there, roll pins are generally made bigger than the holes you cram them in to.

next time knock the pin out with a punch
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 5:08:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 6:52:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah. Gonna have to order it from SW as it is a proprietary part. Probably why they lock that shit in there. Screwed my gas block too. I'm sure I'm in it for another 75 bucks.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 7:33:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok. Regretting buying this gun. Cannot get a gas tube....any reason I could not trim down a rifle length tube to match what I have?  I have already discussed my displeasure with SW on why the hell the gas tube is proprietary (besides the obvious reason that I have to get it for them).
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 8:21:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't blame S&W....you're just paying your Stupid Tax...it can hurt a bit, I know..

1) What makes the S&W gas tube proprietary ?

2) Put the drill away and get some roll pin punches.

3) Get a new gas block and it will probably be better than OEM GB if you choose carefully.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 10:53:03 PM EDT
[#7]
1.  1/4" longer and has an oddball end that goes into the gas key
2.  I broke the punch trying to remove it from the factory block, hence the drill. I would have put the drill away if I knew it was proprietary.
3.  I agree.

I hate taxes in all forms.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 11:01:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is the gas tube size and end that fits the gas key. In case anyone is curios.

href=http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u412/Vareck_Walla/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps0cdguzu7.jpg" />
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:31:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1.  1/4" longer and has an oddball end that goes into the gas key
2.  I broke the punch trying to remove it from the factory block, hence the drill. I would have put the drill away if I knew it was proprietary.
3.  I agree.

I hate taxes in all forms.
View Quote

Yeah, after a quick Google it seems that gas tube is an oddball, hard to get and expensive if you can find one.
I would try to make one up out of a standard rifle-length tube if it were mine.

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 8:12:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Here is the gas tube size and end that fits the gas key. In case anyone is curios.

http://<a href=http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u412/Vareck_Walla/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps0cdguzu7.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

Can we get further away with the camera?

A mid-length gas tube is 11-3/4 inches long, is that not long enough?
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 8:31:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Pic is a bit off, but OAL is 12.0625"
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 8:45:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Pic is a bit off, but OAL is 12.0625"
View Quote

You will probably have to live with an oversized pin.

No, you cannot get a .125 roll or spring pin in a 7/64" hole.

You need to look for a metric 2.5 mm roll pin, that should be large enough to get a reasonable grip in the hole.

If not you can flare the ends after installation.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top